Assault charge filed against Missouri assistant professor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault charge filed against Missouri assistant professor

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) ó A University of Missouri assistant professor is charged with misdemeanor assault in connection with a run-in with student journalists during campus protests last November.

Columbia city prosecutor Steve Richey filed the municipal court complaint Monday against 45-year-old Melissa Click.

The assistant professor of communications confronted a student photographer and a student videographer during the protests, calling for "muscle" to help remove them from the protest area.
    AP - Full Article

Remember when universities were all about higher learning?

Comment

While I donít have a lot of sympathy for that woman, the videos that I saw just showed for her calling for help to turn away the photographers, particularly the Asian photographer. I thought it showed more rascism against the Asian by the blacks than anything. The white videographer seemed to bypass a lot of the trouble and made an end run around the confugality. Is there anything that shows her trying to hit the photographers? Even the call for stopping them resulted in surrounding of the Asian by a crowd of people, which I would not call an assault.

I donít think that if I were on a jury I could convict her of assault. I think I could more likely go for a civil rights case against freedom of the press.
      Homo homini lupus

Comment

I'm sure that AJR will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in "assault and battery", assault refers to words and battery is the actual physical attack.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
          I'm sure that AJR will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in "assault and battery", assault refers to words and battery is the actual physical attack.

As my criminal law professor once said "Assault ends at the tip of your nose".
          Battery is generally defined as "an unwanted touching".
          Assault can just refer to the reasonable fear of such an "unwanted touching". This fear can be caused by words or actions.
          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
            I can't correct you, because Texas doesn't use the term.

We have assault by contact, assault with injury, and aggravated assault.

Terroristic threat is a direct statement placing another in fear of imminent bodily harm.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I think this is the statute:
              Until December 31, 2016--Assault in the third degree.

565.070. 1. A person commits the crime of assault in the third degree if:
              (1) The person attempts to cause or recklessly causes physical injury to another person; or
              (2) With criminal negligence the person causes physical injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon; or
              (3) The person purposely places another person in apprehension of immediate physical injury; or
              (4) The person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a grave risk of death or serious physical injury to another person; or
              (5) The person knowingly causes physical contact with another person knowing the other person will regard the contact as offensive or provocative; or
              (6) The person knowingly causes physical contact with an incapacitated person, as defined in section 475.010, which a reasonable person, who is not incapacitated, would consider offensive or provocative.
              2. Except as provided in subsections 3 and 4 of this section, assault in the third degree is a class A misdemeanor.
              3. A person who violates the provisions of subdivision (3) or (5) of subsection 1 of this section is guilty of a class C misdemeanor.
              4. A person who has pled guilty to or been found guilty of the crime of assault in the third degree more than two times against any family or household member as defined in section 455.010 is guilty of a class D felony for the third or any subsequent commission of the crime of assault in the third degree when a class A misdemeanor. The offenses described in this subsection may be against the same family or household member or against different family or household members.
              (L. 1977 S.B. 60, A.L. 1998 H.B. 1918)
              Transferred 2014; now 565.054; Effective 1-01-17
              http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/st...500000701.HTML
              Homo homini lupus

Comment

Good. Maybe next time she'll think before acting, about what the First Amendment means and what free speech is.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                  Good. Maybe next time she'll think before acting, about what the First Amendment means and what free speech is.
                  "Free Speech"? At a university?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    "Free Speech"? At a university?
                    Well, so long as it's dogmatic, Leftist, party-line, speech you're free to spout it!

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      Well, so long as it's dogmatic, Leftist, party-line, speech you're free to spout it!
                      Right...THAT "free speech"...

Comment

shes just another wanna be gang banger who wishes she could wear a ball cap backwards..............

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                          shes just another wanna be gang banger who wishes she could wear a ball cap backwards..............
                          Yeah, this witch had no business being there in the first place in my opinion. She's a ginger, for God's sake, and she's defending a group of black protesters from an Asian journalism student? WTF is going on these days. If only there was a Hispanic defending the Asian guy we'd finally have the rainbow coalition Jesse Jackson talked about.
                          This woman should have been fired already for not standing up for the rights of the journalism student...none of the black protesters seemed to really care that the kid was there all that much, just the shrieking harpy assistant professor who confronted him and seemed to want him dragged off and beaten. Assault is the appropriate charge I'd say, not that I'm a lawyer but I would definitely have felt threatened by her if she got all up in my face and screeched for 'muscle' with her very, very unattractive face close to mine. Looking at her face my eyes would probably be the victims of first degree battery if not attempted murder, but that would be hard to prove in a court.

Comment

While I don't have anything but speculation here, I bet she's outraged that she got charged and thinks she did absolutely nothing wrong...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X