Everybody hates Ted Cruz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everybody hates Ted Cruz

On various news reports I've heard that Senator Cruz is not well liked by other politicians in Washington, including his fellow Republicans.

Donald Trump has said Cruz is very unpopular in Washington.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Many feel that the Republicans have let the Democrats and President Obama get their way to often.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

On Drudge Report poll;
    Trump @ 37.76%
    Cruz @23.89%
    Rubio @ 6.17%
    Paul @3.93%
    Carson @1.74%

I'd like to see a Cruz & Carson ticket for the GOP with Rubio, Paul, and Fiorina in key Executive Cabinet posts once the GOP wins. But willing to see some juggling of those contenders ...

Cruz isn't your classic "career politician" nor the opportunist hack that Trump is, which is a lot of what I like about him.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
      On Drudge Report poll;
      Trump @ 37.76%
      Cruz @23.89%
      Rubio @ 6.17%
      Paul @3.93%
      Carson @1.74%

I'd like to see a Cruz & Carson ticket for the GOP with Rubio, Paul, and Fiorina in key Executive Cabinet posts once the GOP wins.

:
      I like Florina better for a Cruz running mate. She is sharp. And the debates have been a great prep for the general election.
      "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
      Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
        I like Florina better for a Cruz running mate. She is sharp. And the debates have been a great prep for the general election.
        She's running behind Carson, but I can see your point. Cruz & Fiorina works for me. Carson as Surgeon General?
        TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Fiorina brings nothing to the table electoral wise. Rubio/Bush in Florida or Kasich from Ohio. The latter is the real prize.

However Cruz is not much liked beyond the conservative Right so his chances of winning the general election are slim.

Tuebor

Comment

On various news reports I've heard that Senator Cruz is not well liked by other politicians in Washington, including his fellow Republicans.
            Cruz did everything he could to alienate himself from his fellow Senators. A person who is always on the personal attack (calling the Majority Leader a liar on the floor was just plain dumb), and has a reputation of not working or playing well with others. If he wins the election, once the normal honeymoon period is over he will have troubles. An effective President must be able to work well with Congress. It is how the system is set up. Cruz, on the other hand, has burned many bridges...and Washington is a vicious town.

Of course Trump will gain say Cruz, but in this instance he is spot on.

Is that necessarily a bad thing?
            Oh yes, indeed it be. The President is NOT "the most powerful man in the world" no matter what the Mediots say. Relatively speaking he is less powerful than your average Governor, that is why many governors, e.g. Jimmy Carter, have problems when they become President. It is the ability to persuade that gives the President his most power. That is why Reagan (and Bush Jr.) was so effective in dealing with Congress. OTOH, Cruz has made personal enemies of most of the GOP Congressional Hierarchy, and will need to kiss much browned behind if he wishes to get anything put into a bill much less passed. The question is, does Cruz have that ability?

Many feel that the Republicans have let the Democrats and President Obama get their way to often.
            Many may feel that, but is that many correct? Cruz hurt the GOP on any number of occasions with his attack dog antics on the Senate floor. It is that kind of uncompromising attitude that disgusts most Americans. Now, it is true Cruz certainly played to his supporters, and those on the "uncompromising no-matter-the-cost right," but those folk are very much in the minority. Probably no more than 1/8th the general vote at most.

A successful candidate is one who can appeal to the broadest spectrum of voters. Both Cruz and Trump combined are not yet anywhere near close enough. That may change...with time..., but then again it may not.

Tuebor

Comment

She's running behind Carson, but I can see your point. Cruz & Fiorina works for me. Carson as Surgeon General?
              Carson's campaign is imploding, and is pretty much a non-entity. Not sure what really has happened to Fiorina.

Tuebor

Comment

Originally posted by Tuebor View Post
                Carson's campaign is imploding, and is pretty much a non-entity. Not sure what really has happened to Fiorina.

Tuebor
                Ms. Fiorina is just too smart, too competent and too articulate. Most people are unfamiliar with those qualities and find people like Fiorina to be intimidating.
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Fiorina brings nothing to the table electoral wise. Rubio/Bush in Florida or Kasich from Ohio. The latter is the real prize.

However Cruz is not much liked beyond the conservative Right so his chances of winning the general election are slim.

Tuebor
                  If the unthinkable happens, a Trump-Kasich ticket would make the most electoral sense. Bush probably would not take VP offer. Rubio might be a good fit; but I think Trump needs more help in Ohio than Florida.
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Carson as Surgeon General?
                    Put him in charge of the government's X-files. He can take responsibility for pyramid research and alien abduction cases.

Comment

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Many feel that the Republicans have let the Democrats and President Obama get their way to often.

When I hear of how unpopular Cruz is in Washington I can't help but think of the movie "Serpico". Serpico was a NY cop who was hated by the rest of the police force because he refused to go on the "take".

Sometimes being unpopular with certain groups can be a good thing.
                      Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Cruz is unpopular among the Republican Old Guard because he does what he promises. That makes him a threat to their Democrat Lite business as usual tax and spend give Obama everything he wants policy. It is one reason why the fed up voting public have placed him and Trump into the lead.
                        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

It is a bad thing.

Cruz is not a team player. The GOP's great strength, especially when the Dems had majorities in both sides of Congress, was the fact that nearly all held ranks, loaded, presented, and fired in volleys, breaking most of the Dem agenda.

Cruz is not that kind of guy. He's out for himself, and he does not play well with others. He is very much like Obama in that regard.

If he gets President he will have very little congressional support fro either party, and will end up accomplishing nothing save by ExOrd.

Ignore all the bombast, and look at a candidate's track record on getting things done with other politicians. W Bush was good at achieving compromise; Hillary is likewise skilled at working a committee. Obama, Carter, and Cruz have no skills in that area.

Comment

Is there any evidence that a vice presidential running mate can deliver a state?

For instance I live in Ohio. Kasich being on the ticket as vice president wouldn't change how I vote.

I've heard the #1 rule for picking a vice presidential running mate is pick some one that wont hurt your chances of winning.

I think Dan Quayle, and Sarah Palin hurt their ticket.
                            Last edited by 17thfabn; 22 Jan 16, 20:00.

Comment

Wait... I thought everybody hates Trump. Now they all hate Cruz too...?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X