Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You DO recall the OP's point, right?

So the billions who have died in wars, famines and genocide throughout history are singing right along, especially the ghosts of all of the dead in WWI, WWII, Spanish American War, Mexican War, Romans, Greeks, pretty much everybody that died in wars involving Christians, all the way back to Jericho, the Crusades and on and on and on.

Nope. That's just silliness.

World War I was a political spat that had nothing to do with Christianity. Had both sides been pagan and under the same string of alliances it would still have happened.

WWII, the same. Spanish-American War was an imperial matter. Mexican-American War was similarly a strictly secular affair.

You would have had a better argument citing the Troubles. That at least actually did have something to do with religion.

["In God We Trust"
    has nothing to do with holy wars.

["God Is On The Side Of The Big Battalions"
    is actually a statement REJECTING the notion of divine intervention.

["Gott Mit Uns"
    For God, King George and England"
    "The Gods Smile Upon Our Endeavors" (Just about everybody prior to Christianity)
    "We Must Free The Holy Land From The Heathens" (The Pope)
    "We Must Free The Holy Lands From The Infidels" (Muslims)
    "The Great Satan" (The Islamic name for the entire Western Non-Muslim World - 6 billion human beings)
    Now you're getting closer to the mark. But these are the words of fanatics, not everyday people.

["We must Rid Ourselves Of The (fill in the group you hate here). All purges conducted under the guise of religion, i.e., the Albanians, the Jews, the Serbs, the Bosnians, the entire Middle East, etc., etc.)

Any Christian and their entire church when that Christian is openly observed screaming foul insults at Pagans or Wiccans in a public store or parking lot.

Christians and Muslims are frankly bad for peace in general, and nations, cultures and societies in particular.
    Nope. Wars of religion have always been in the thinnest minority of cause of conflict. The most common cause of conflict in human history is land conquest and the second most common cause is internal fighting over who gets to run it. Even the Crusade era featured wars predominantly about land. The Seljuk Turks' wars of expansion were what prompted Byzantium to give the Pope a call and the Seljuks went after Egypt which was a country run by other Muslims. Even THAT string of conflicts was more about land than religion. And that's the go to grievance of anti Christian hysterics.

I will outline the flaws of your premise one by one:

1. All societies in history have been filled with conflict. There were warlike societies even before Judaism was a thing. So acting like war is Christianity's fault is more than a little silly.

2. Societies of enforced secularism have been just as warlike as religious societies. So acting like war is a religious problem is equally silly.

3. The vast majority of ALL societies are peaceful. Let's go back to those dastardly Crusades. For every person who signed up to fight Harry Heathen, dozens more never left home. While you bitch and moan about the people who sacked Jerusalem you overlook the millions of Christians and Muslims and so forth who grew up in town, married their sweetheart, raised a family, and spent their entire life farming, fishing, or otherwise plying their trade. They never hurt anybody. They just lived normal lives.

Ultimately the problem with your view of Christians is that it is filled with caricatures. There are extremists who make noise and hurt people. There always have been. But for every one of these:

you have hundreds of these:

And not just among Christians but among society in general. The average joe, regardless of which god he prays to, is mostly content to do a good day's work before going home to play with his kids, eat a good meal, and love his wife. The knights and warriors make for good movies and because of this you hear about them more. But the Joe Farmers who never hurt anyone are the majority of the population even if they get a minority of the press.

My rebuttal summed up in one sentence: Christians are human beings, not boogie-men.

And now, once more with feeling this time:
    "If you want to go to war, ask your God!
    If you want to go to war ask your God!
    If you want to go to war,
    And kill 'em no matter who they are,
    All you have to do is ask your God!"

I would love to know how my boring office life is driving the world to Armageddon.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to depart on my great holy war to.....check out my library books. God wills it! And then I shall smite.....a pizza! But I will eventually make war on.....the grease on my countertop.

Yes, truly a bloody fanatic am I.
    Last edited by Pirateship1982; 26 Jan 16, 17:59.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
      But for every one of these:

you have hundreds of these:

The same can be said for every large major religion... yet some people still persist in pigeonholing all believers together. It's the same logic at work whenever people want to make sweeping generalizations over a large group based around the work of a minority.

Though there are plenty who will claim one is not comparable to another.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
      X