US plans $4bn for self-driving rules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by At ease View Post
    Despite what the Teamsters might want the reality, over the medium to long term, is somewhat different.
    And here, my sheep-counting friend, is where you veer off the road of reality and careen cross-country on a journey of cultural unawareness.

To operate a driverless vehicle, the Feds will have to approve it.

To approve it, Congress will have to pass a bill setting the legal requirements and standards, and the President will have to sign it.

Those same people, from both parties, will want Teamster money for re-elections, Teamster grassroots support for re-election campaigns, Teamster votes (theres a LOT of those), and Teamster PACs to help them push other key legislation.

On the side of the driverless trucks you have a bunch of idealists.

Money talks. And the Teamsters have a lot of money, a lot of votes, and a lot of organization. They are a force to be reckoned with.

Comment

The trucks will be driverless between the outskirts of larger centres, where they will pull over at a very large depot to be refuelled etc, and where a human driver will take over to convey the truck to it's unloading point.

Once unload/reload is completed, a human will drive the truck back to the out of town depot, and the truck will then continue on it's way unattended towards it's next destination.
      Why not use the railroad?

Comment

Who is going to unload the truck if there is no driver? As a young man I used to help unload many a 18 wheeler that was bringing in cigarettes to our warehouse. The Driver would unlock the back and get in and start handing cases down. Will truck insurance cover liability if a person gets in and hurts himself trying to unload?

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          And here, my sheep-counting friend, is where you veer off the road of reality and careen cross-country on a journey of cultural unawareness.
          [.....]
          My dear Arnold, you do realise that the article I linked to in post #89 was written in the USA, about the USA, by an American citizen don't you?

He even did a tour of the US as he was writing it(Louisiana [author's home state] to Florida).

Is one of you own to be branded as being "culturally unaware"?

You did actually read the article I linked to, didn't you?

There are plenty more articles dealing with the debut of the Freightliner driverless truck and the unique Nevada number plate - mostly written by Americans, or in American publications.

I can link to them if you like.
          Last edited by At ease; 21 Jan 16, 23:16.
          "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
          "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
          — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

My dear Arnold, you do realise that the article I linked to in post #89 was written in the USA, about the USA, by an American citizen don't you?

He even did a tour of the US as he was writing it(Louisiana [author's home state] to Florida).

Is one of you own to be branded as being "culturally unaware"?

You did actually read the article I linked to, didn't you?

There are plenty more articles dealing with the debut of the Freightliner driverless truck and the unique Nevada number plate - mostly written by Americans, or in American publications.

I can link to them if you like.
            #1: I don't bother with media speculation, especially US media. Its seldom factual or accurate, even less likely to be unbiased.

#2: the Teamsters rule the road. Any article that does not factor them into account, and factor them largely, is wishful thinking at best and propaganda at worst. Presidents and Congressmen care nothing about technology when it comes time to be re-elected, but they do care about the Teamster's support or enmity.

#3: Developments that cost jobs are not welcome. Look at the UAW (a Teamster affiliate) successful campaign to limit automation in auto plants. Automation makes economic, environment, and safety sense. But the unions keep it to specific levels.

You are ignoring political reality. There are thousands of articles each year attacking the private ownership of firearms, yet there is also videos of Bobo's speeches where he is literally weeping over his inability to do anything about it, even in the wake of mass shootings of children (Sandy Hook).

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              #1: I don't bother with media speculation, especially US media. Its seldom factual or accurate, even less likely to be unbiased.

#2: the Teamsters rule the road. Any article that does not factor them into account, and factor them largely, is wishful thinking at best and propaganda at worst. Presidents and Congressmen care nothing about technology when it comes time to be re-elected, but they do care about the Teamster's support or enmity.

#3: Developments that cost jobs are not welcome. Look at the UAW (a Teamster affiliate) successful campaign to limit automation in auto plants. Automation makes economic, environment, and safety sense. But the unions keep it to specific levels.

You are ignoring political reality. There are thousands of articles each year attacking the private ownership of firearms, yet there is also videos of Bobo's speeches where he is literally weeping over his inability to do anything about it, even in the wake of mass shootings of children (Sandy Hook).
              Agreed on all of the above and may I add, that almost all aspects of life here in the US involve a truck (from your diapers to your coffin) and as a retired truck driver I can think of too many instances where a driver would absolutely be essential, too many for me to type here, my job for the last 12 years before I retired was one of those, there are still some things that can not be done with technology.
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                Agreed on all of the above and may I add, that almost all aspects of life here in the US involve a truck (from your diapers to your coffin) and as a retired truck driver I can think of too many instances where a driver would absolutely be essential, too many for me to type here, my job for the last 12 years before I retired was one of those, there are still some things that can not be done with technology.
                I was hoping you would weigh in!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X