X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
    Knowing this I can't understand why so many people are against investing in alternative energies.
    I have already!
    pot-belly stoves, some timber, and cabinets filled with Candles and lamp oil.

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
    Yup. They are every bit the enemy the Persians are.

MORE so, never doubt it.
    The difference is, the Saudi man on the street is even MORE of a crack-brained fanatic than the ruling class... instead of the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    If there is one thing to take away from this turn of events, it's that oil is really cheap and plenteous.
    Don't forget it's also renewable, something we didn't know 50 years ago and something that the ilk of Gore and Obama never learned about not taking science seriously in school.

Even the most basic source shows that the "fossil fuel" concept is now just completely wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abioge...troleum_origin

The change lies in discovery of things like what the bottom of our seas and oceans are really like, plate tectonics, and other scientific discoveries that didn't exist 50 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Cheetah772
    replied
    Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
    Half-right. The Saudis are out to regain market share. The Saudis won't do anything to intentionally drive the price up until they have killed the US shale plays... which won't die.

Low prices will persist for quite some time, unless something unexpected happens.

Contrary to conventional thinking, low oil prices are driving our economy down this time. Over the last 8 years, oil & gas was just about the only growth industry in the US.
    Aren't US shale plays mostly on state & privately owned lands instead of federal lands? So Obama can't easily shut down the shale production.

Unfortunately, he's also hell bent on destroying the coal and gas industries. Just recently Obama administration placed a moratorium on the mining in Powder River Basin. That will hurt the coal industry as well many coal-powered plants are shutting down all over the country.

If I didn't know better, I'd think Obama and Saudis are working in secret to knock out the US energy companies, which is kind of ironic since Obama insisted on weaning the US off dependence on the foreign oil. Obama has poured billions of dollars into alternate energy solutions, all to little practical benefit, and yet, he refuses to see this for what it is -- an onerous and expensive burden for ordinary consumers to handle.

But with new technologies and widening the depth of oil discovery studies, I'd think it's going to be hard for Saudis to drive the fracking and boom in US shale production out of business permanently. If there is one thing to take away from this turn of events, it's that oil is really cheap and plenteous.

If OPEC didn't exist and we allowed the markets to play out naturally, I don't think we'd be in this position right now. I believe someday down the road, Saudis will turn out to be major losers.

What do you say?

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    An acre of U.S. corn yields about 7,110 pounds of corn for processing into 328 gallons of ethanol. But planting, growing and harvesting that much corn requires about 140 gallons of fossil fuels and costs $347 per acre, according to Pimentel's analysis.

AND.........they send that damn corn to California to be processed into ethanol. Never mind that we have been in a drought for years and it takes 1700 gallons of water to make one gallon of ethanol.

Time to take the crack away from the greenies.
    Long past time to play whack-a-mole on Greenies. I can handle stupid. I can't handle deliberate, intended, and repeated stupid like they shove down our throats.

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    Yep, that ethanol move drove the price of grain products up which in turn set off the arab spring and produced isis. But hey they believe that there's too many people so why not get them to revolt and start wars...

Progressive isn't it?
    An acre of U.S. corn yields about 7,110 pounds of corn for processing into 328 gallons of ethanol. But planting, growing and harvesting that much corn requires about 140 gallons of fossil fuels and costs $347 per acre, according to Pimentel's analysis.

AND.........they send that damn corn to California to be processed into ethanol. Never mind that we have been in a drought for years and it takes 1700 gallons of water to make one gallon of ethanol.

Time to take the crack away from the greenies.

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    I drive an old Porsche with no emissions sticker. I'm not a hippy, just looking at this from a business perspective. We need to find a way to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. I think that starts with more oil drilling and the government leading the way to make RE more viable as well. It's too early to completely write-off RE right now.
    Good luck with that, the best solution Obama has for you is to keep the tire pressure at the daily allowances.

Alternative energy to oil is about 25 years away.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    The Saudis had OPEC open the taps to drive the prices down, so that they can put Frakking out of business.
    Once they do, sometime this year, the supply will shut right down, and they will make every dime right back, and then some. THis time next year, you will probably be paying 5-7 $ per gallon.
    Half-right. The Saudis are out to regain market share. The Saudis won't do anything to intentionally drive the price up until they have killed the US shale plays... which won't die.

Low prices will persist for quite some time, unless something unexpected happens.

Contrary to conventional thinking, low oil prices are driving our economy down this time. Over the last 8 years, oil & gas was just about the only growth industry in the US.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    California... Say no more. That state is run by lunatics.
    It really is. Worse yet the election system is totally rigged. The GOP has given up and basically worked out a deal whereby they get a cut of the pie and just roll over.

Look at the last election that we had out here. The dems won every contest (that matters by 75%.) Now what's the probability of that?

I tried to raise hell over that and found out the gal in charge of investigating election fraud was basically insane. No joke, she was unavailable because of mental illness...

Right now I'm strongly thinking about moving to someplace less corrupt. The housing market is still soft and I'd like it to get better before selling. After I sell I'll move to the south where people are a bit wiser and things are cheaper...

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
    I bet you drive a Prius.

You mean as in Obama's alternate energy program?
    I drive an old Porsche with no emissions sticker. I'm not a hippy, just looking at this from a business perspective. We need to find a way to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. I think that starts with more oil drilling and the government leading the way to make RE more viable as well. It's too early to completely write-off RE right now.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    Well I bought into solar power for my home and don't regret it. But I live in the country and don't like power outages nor the hideous electrical bills I was paying.

This was before the Enron rolling blackouts and the other assorted bs that has been going on here in CA.
    California... Say no more. That state is run by lunatics.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Well I bought into solar power for my home and don't regret it. But I live in the country and don't like power outages nor the hideous electrical bills I was paying.

This was before the Enron rolling blackouts and the other assorted bs that has been going on here in CA.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Knowing this I can't understand why so many people are against investing in alternative energies.
    Because of one of several reasons:

The person knows the real cost of "alternative" energy and isn't willing to see their bills for energy use triple or quadruple.

The person knows that there are more efficient and cost effective solutions to energy needs than "alternative" or "renewable" energy.

People in general, are not stupid. They act in their own best interest and that includes not doing things that will cost them considerable money compared to alternatives.

They may also see little or no motivation for switching sources as they don't buy the sales pitch being made by those wanting "alternative" or "renewable" energy.

For example, home solar is like buying one of those $1000 vacuum cleaners. The sales pitch is great. Then comes the reality. The panels and system require maintenance like you climbing on the roof and cleaning them regularly. If you have batteries they have to be checked and will start failing after about 4 to 6 years of use.
    The subsidies you expected to make the system economically viable could end at any time. When they do you're suddenly stuck with a white elephant that costs you more than it's worth.
    You go to sell your house and the solar doesn't add much value. You lose on your investment. Or, you leased the panels and the new owner doesn't want to take the lease over so you have to remove the panels, repair the roof, and take a loss on the lease.
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 15 Jan 16, 17:05.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    Yep, that ethanol move drove the price of grain products up which in turn set off the arab spring and produced isis. But hey they believe that there's too many people so why not get them to revolt and start wars...

Progressive isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• 101combatvet
    replied
    I bet you drive a Prius.

You mean as in Obama's alternate energy program?

Leave a comment:

• TactiKill J.
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    The Saudis had OPEC open the taps to drive the prices down, so that they can put Frakking out of business.
    Once they do, sometime this year, the supply will shut right down, and they will make every dime right back, and then some. THis time next year, you will probably be paying 5-7 $ per gallon.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X