DOW Meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOW Meltdown

Current news on television is about the Dow meltdown and oil dropping below $30/barrel.

It's about time the consumers got a break.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/15/dow-plummets-more-than-500-points-as-oil-prices-sink.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Yet gas prices remain the same out here...

About $2.50 a gallon...
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

$1.69 in Colorado springs yesterday. Almost $.20 less than that at the Air Force Academy.

But hey...no worries...Big Oil will shut down some refineries and drive the price up again just as soon as they can, and for sure by summer vacation.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        $1.69 in Colorado springs yesterday. Almost $.20 less than that at the Air Force Academy.

But hey...no worries...Big Oil will shut down some refineries and drive the price up again just as soon as they can, and for sure by summer vacation.

The Saudis had OPEC open the taps to drive the prices down, so that they can put Frakking out of business.
        Once they do, sometime this year, the supply will shut right down, and they will make every dime right back, and then some. THis time next year, you will probably be paying 5-7 $ per gallon.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

$1.59 here.

But yeah, they're trying to shut down US oil production. Texas is just drilling & capping wells; when the price goes back up, they'll start pumping again.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            $1.59 here.

But yeah, they're trying to shut down US oil production. Texas is just drilling & capping wells; when the price goes back up, they'll start pumping again.
            Yup. They are every bit the enemy the Persians are.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
              The Saudis had OPEC open the taps to drive the prices down, so that they can put Frakking out of business.
              Once they do, sometime this year, the supply will shut right down, and they will make every dime right back, and then some. THis time next year, you will probably be paying 5-7 $ per gallon.
              Knowing this I can't understand why so many people are against investing in alternative energies.
              "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
              - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                Knowing this I can't understand why so many people are against investing in alternative energies.
                I bet you drive a Prius.

You mean as in Obama's alternate energy program?
                My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Yep, that ethanol move drove the price of grain products up which in turn set off the arab spring and produced isis. But hey they believe that there's too many people so why not get them to revolt and start wars...

Progressive isn't it?
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by TactiKill J. View Post
                    Because of one of several reasons:

The person knows the real cost of "alternative" energy and isn't willing to see their bills for energy use triple or quadruple.

The person knows that there are more efficient and cost effective solutions to energy needs than "alternative" or "renewable" energy.

People in general, are not stupid. They act in their own best interest and that includes not doing things that will cost them considerable money compared to alternatives.

They may also see little or no motivation for switching sources as they don't buy the sales pitch being made by those wanting "alternative" or "renewable" energy.

For example, home solar is like buying one of those $1000 vacuum cleaners. The sales pitch is great. Then comes the reality. The panels and system require maintenance like you climbing on the roof and cleaning them regularly. If you have batteries they have to be checked and will start failing after about 4 to 6 years of use.
                    The subsidies you expected to make the system economically viable could end at any time. When they do you're suddenly stuck with a white elephant that costs you more than it's worth.
                    You go to sell your house and the solar doesn't add much value. You lose on your investment. Or, you leased the panels and the new owner doesn't want to take the lease over so you have to remove the panels, repair the roof, and take a loss on the lease.
                    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 15 Jan 16, 17:05.

Comment

Well I bought into solar power for my home and don't regret it. But I live in the country and don't like power outages nor the hideous electrical bills I was paying.

This was before the Enron rolling blackouts and the other assorted bs that has been going on here in CA.
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                        Well I bought into solar power for my home and don't regret it. But I live in the country and don't like power outages nor the hideous electrical bills I was paying.

This was before the Enron rolling blackouts and the other assorted bs that has been going on here in CA.
                        California... Say no more. That state is run by lunatics.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          I bet you drive a Prius.

You mean as in Obama's alternate energy program?
                          I drive an old Porsche with no emissions sticker. I'm not a hippy, just looking at this from a business perspective. We need to find a way to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. I think that starts with more oil drilling and the government leading the way to make RE more viable as well. It's too early to completely write-off RE right now.
                          "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
                          - Benjamin Franklin

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            California... Say no more. That state is run by lunatics.
                            It really is. Worse yet the election system is totally rigged. The GOP has given up and basically worked out a deal whereby they get a cut of the pie and just roll over.

Look at the last election that we had out here. The dems won every contest (that matters by 75%.) Now what's the probability of that?

I tried to raise hell over that and found out the gal in charge of investigating election fraud was basically insane. No joke, she was unavailable because of mental illness...

Right now I'm strongly thinking about moving to someplace less corrupt. The housing market is still soft and I'd like it to get better before selling. After I sell I'll move to the south where people are a bit wiser and things are cheaper...
                            Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                              Half-right. The Saudis are out to regain market share. The Saudis won't do anything to intentionally drive the price up until they have killed the US shale plays... which won't die.

Low prices will persist for quite some time, unless something unexpected happens.

Contrary to conventional thinking, low oil prices are driving our economy down this time. Over the last 8 years, oil & gas was just about the only growth industry in the US.
                              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X