Stolen Valor Conviction Overturned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Valor Conviction Overturned

A federal appeals court on Monday tossed out a veteran's conviction for wearing military medals he didn't earn, saying it was a form of free speech protected by the Constitution. A specially convened 11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the First Amendment allows people to wear unearned military honors.
    Elven Joe Swisher of Idaho was convicted in 2007 of violating the Stolen Valor Act, which made it a misdemeanor to falsely claim military accomplishments. President George W. Bush signed it into law in 2006, but the U.S. Supreme Court struck it down in 2012 as a violation of free speech protections.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/12...?intcmp=hphz09
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

So, the 9th Circus says lying for gain, conning people, and generally making stuff up is perfectly okay and just "free speech" hum?

Swisher wore a Purple Heart on the witness stand.

Swisher testified that David Roland Hinkson offered him $10,000 to kill the federal judge presiding over Hinkson's tax-evasion case. Swisher said Hinkson was impressed after Swisher boasted that he killed "many men" during the Korean War.
    Clearly this POS's claims were made in part to make his hire attractive to Hinkson and the possible gain of $10,000 as a reason... But, now that's just "free speech..."

Comment

If you ever wondered about the value of your military service, here's the answer.

The Feds are OK with you* putting five stars and a Medal of Honor on your* resume.

Because, like, that's what you* have gotten had you* actually served.

* = used in the general sense, not addressed to any specific person.
      Last edited by Arnold J Rimmer; 12 Jan 16, 22:05.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I'm putting in an order for a Silver Star with Oak Leaf Cluster.....oh and a Victoria Cross......they'll look great on my dress blues.

Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I think I'll go for a more complete "Elvis rhinestone" look myself...

I'll make sure to include at least a few "back" medals too!

Comment

9th Circuit......Why am I not surprised?
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
              9th Circuit......Why am I not surprised?
              Hey, you can't talk down about the 11 Judge Panel of MOH winners........
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

You cant even wear SANDF uniform in South Africa (few exceptions like movies) unless you in the SANDF never mind medals you do not deserve.
                you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  Hey, you can't talk down about the 11 Judge Panel of MOH winners........
                  Does "MOH" stand for Morons Of Heresy? Just curious...

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    So, the 9th Circus says lying for gain, conning people, and generally making stuff up is perfectly okay and just "free speech" hum?

Clearly this POS's claims were made in part to make his hire attractive to Hinkson and the possible gain of $10,000 as a reason... But, now that's just "free speech..."
                    Hillary and Obama do it.... you have a problem with them too?
                    My worst jump story:
                    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                    No lie.

~
                    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                      Hillary and Obama do it.... you have a problem with them too?
                      Yes. Like you need to ask. First, I despise liars... err... lawyers and both are. That in my opinion makes them educated idiots at best. Then add both are Progressives.

In Hillary's case...

Killin's too good for him! Burnin's too good for him! He should be torn to itty bitty pieces and buried ALIVE!

Comment

The Coat of Many Hooks.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Oh my God. They have so many medals they have to wear some on their pants. Nice side benefit of being so brave you have a couple hundred medals on your uniform: shiny body armor to prevent you from getting shot while 'earning' more 'medals'.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                            Oh my God. They have so many medals they have to wear some on their pants. Nice side benefit of being so brave you have a couple hundred medals on your uniform: shiny body armor to prevent you from getting shot while 'earning' more 'medals'.
                            And these are only the guys that cleaned the latrines! You should see the medals of the soldiers who actually held a gun in their hands!!
                            "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
                            - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                              Actually, only the two guys at the microphone "earned" the medals. The others standing there are wearing the rest of those two's medals!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X