Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you share Bernie Sander's view that "the economy is rigged?"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you share Bernie Sander's view that "the economy is rigged?"

    Do you share Bernie Sanders' view that "the economy is rigged?"
    34
    Yes
    58.82%
    20
    No
    26.47%
    9
    Other
    14.71%
    5
    Last edited by lakechampainer; 02 Jan 16, 08:33.

  • #2
    I most certainly view the economy as rigged.




    Comment


    • #3
      In addition to being a Marxist, Bernie Sanders is also a moron. If there is any rigging of the US economy, it is on behalf of the poor and middle class...
      By Robert J. Samuelson December 28, 2014

      What is curious about the present understandable preoccupation with the middle class is the assumption — both explicit and implicit — that the system is “rigged” (to use Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s favorite term) against this vast constituency of Americans. In reality, just the opposite is true. The system is rigged in favor of the middle class. That’s a natural result for a democracy in which politicians compete more for votes than for dollars.

      If you look at how the federal government spends and raises its money, the bias for the middle class and poor becomes plain. In fiscal 2014, about two-thirds of the $3.5 trillion federal budget went for “payments to individuals.” This covers 59 million Social Security recipients, more than 54 million Medicare beneficiaries (overlapping with Social Security), 68 million Medicaid recipients, 46 million food-stamp recipients — and many more.

      Meanwhile government raises most of its taxes from the upper middle class and the wealthy. In 2011, the richest 1 percent of Americans paid 24 percent of all federal taxes (income, payroll and excise) and the richest 20 percent, including the top 1 percent, paid 69 percent of taxes, says the Congressional Budget Office.

      [...]

      https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...a58_story.html
      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

      Comment


      • #4
        The government raises most of its taxes from the wealthy - isn't that a circular statement?

        Comment


        • #5
          Bernie Sanders is batschist crazy...
          Bernie’s Conspiracy Theory

          by RICH LOWRY October 30, 2015 12:00 AM

          Bernie Sanders is the most prominent conspiracy theorist in America. He runs around the country saying that the economy is “rigged” by what he calls “the billionaire class.”


          Sanders doesn’t mean this metaphorically. He’s dead serious. As he put it in his speech at Liberty University a couple of months ago, our economy is “designed by the wealthiest people in this country to benefit the wealthiest people in this country at the expense of everybody else.”

          [...]

          Who can understand why the wealthy conspired to increase the share of federal income taxes paid by the top 20 percent of the income distribution from 65 percent in 1979 to 93 percent in 2010? Or the share of the top 1 percent from 17 percent to 37 percent? Doesn’t this undermine the entire effort? According to the Congressional Budget Office, once taxes and transfers are taken into account, the proportion of income going to the top 1 percent in 2009 wasn’t much different than in the mid-1980s.

          [...]

          Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...ory-rich-lowry
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

          Comment


          • #6
            What "rigged" means, is that if you do the right thing(work hard, study hard, obey the law, be a good person,etc), you can expect to succeed or better said, you have a good chance of succeeding if you work hard and persevere.

            That is not the case. People who are paid in wages every year for decades pay more for health insurance with higher deductibles, It costs $50 for a kid to open a lemonade stand, the police raise revenue via speed traps, etc.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
              The government raises most of its taxes from the wealthy - isn't that a circular statement?
              It's an obvious proof that the system isn't rigged. The Federal Government raises most of its revenue from the "wealthy" and spends most of it on the "poor" and "middle class"

              Marxist morons like Bernie Sanders prey on economically illiterate losers. He fuels idiotic notions that the success of the wealthy comes at the expense of others. His solution is to redistribute success. Anyone with two functioning synapses between their ears knows that this is impossible. Success is the result of talent, discipline, perseverance and luck - none of which can be redistributed by government.

              Our government currently taxes the 1% to subsidize the 99%. Government punishes success and rewards failure. This can only lead to less success and more failure.
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                What "rigged" means, is that if you do the right thing(work hard, study hard, obey the law, be a good person,etc), you can expect to succeed or better said, you have a good chance of succeeding if you work hard and persevere.

                That is not the case. People who are paid in wages every year for decades pay more for health insurance with higher deductibles, It costs $50 for a kid to open a lemonade stand, the police raise revenue via speed traps, etc.
                Success is the result of talent, discipline, perseverance and luck. No one can logically "expect to succeed," just for following the rules. If that was the case, every team in Major League Baseball would win the World Series every season.

                Success is not a reward. Success is a result.
                Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lakechampainer View Post
                  Do you share Bernie Sanders' view that "the economy is rigged?"
                  +1 Rep for making the poll results public...
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "Most new wealth flows to the top 1%".
                    That seems to be the basis of his claim that the economy is rigged.

                    Perhaps it is going to the top 1% because they are earning it.
                    Mark Zuckerberg and the guys who own google are receiving that "new wealth" because they are earning it.

                    I absolutely agree that once they get there they support ways that earn them more money(just like everyone else), but the basic premise that Bernie is lying about is that people in the 1% are getting the money because of the system rather than their own efforts.

                    The existence of people like them completely disproves everything Bernie is claiming.
                    In order to make it into the top 1% all you need to do is make more than about $350,000. http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/20/news...come/index.htm

                    That means, according to bernie, that every pro sports player and all successful entertainers got their not because of their talent, but because the system was rigged.

                    I imagine Bernie will fix this by prohibiting rich people from making more money. Then we can all be equally poor.
                    Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

                    Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post
                      "Most new wealth flows to the top 1%".
                      That seems to be the basis of his claim that the economy is rigged.

                      Perhaps it is going to the top 1% because they are earning it.
                      Mark Zuckerberg and the guys who own google are receiving that "new wealth" because they are earning it.

                      I absolutely agree that once they get there they support ways that earn them more money(just like everyone else), but the basic premise that Bernie is lying about is that people in the 1% are getting the money because of the system rather than their own efforts.

                      The existence of people like them completely disproves everything Bernie is claiming.
                      In order to make it into the top 1% all you need to do is make more than about $350,000. http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/20/news...come/index.htm

                      That means, according to bernie, that every pro sports player and all successful entertainers got their not because of their talent, but because the system was rigged.

                      I imagine Bernie will fix this by prohibiting rich people from making more money. Then we can all be equally poor.
                      Bernie Sanders is such a total fracking moron, that he probably believes that "wealth flows" to people...
                      "Most new wealth flows to the top 1%".


                      Wealth is created. It doesn't flow. The top 1% create the vast majority of new wealth.
                      Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                        Bernie Sanders is such a total fracking moron, that he probably believes that "wealth flows" to people...
                        "Most new wealth flows to the top 1%".


                        Wealth is created. It doesn't flow. The top 1% create the vast majority of new wealth.

                        Exactly. They have wealth because they have created it.
                        Bernie wants his followers to believe that everyone in the top 1% (or 5% if he feels like it) got their money by cheating or inheriting it.
                        If we can be led to believe they didn't earn their money it is easier for us to try and steal it away.
                        For the greater good of course.

                        They need to believe that the top 1% is also a static group and that there isn't huge turnover in who makes up the top 1%. Unfortunately, the facts don't support that fantasy either.
                        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

                        Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I found some additional information on what it takes to make it into the top 1%.
                          Apparently, one needs income of about $429,000.
                          and they pay a huge share of the taxes. If the system is rigged, it isn't rigged as much in their favor as Bernie wants us to believe.
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          While their incomes are high, they also pay a lot in taxes. The Top 1% earned 19% of all income reported in 2013, but paid nearly 38% of the federal income taxes.

                          http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/29/news...id=hp-grid-dom
                          Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

                          Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yes.
                            The economy is rigged in favour of economic and political elites.
                            However, all economies are rigged in favour elites and all economies have always been rigged in favour of elites. It does not matter which system one considers.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X