Affluuenza Murderer and Mother Caught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affluuenza Murderer and Mother Caught

Mother and son tracked down in Mexico. Let's see if the judge can do better sentencing this little monster this time around. Probation for murdering four people?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

He wasn't charged with murder.

And he's still in the juvvie system, so odds are not much will happen. TYC beds are at a premium right now. Odds are, as a non-violent offender the worst that will happen is a few months in summer camp, if anything.
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I think all they can charge him with right now is for the violation of his probation ad the mother for aiding and abetting.
      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/US/sheriff-aff...ry?id=35991668

A representative for the Tarrant County District Attorney said that Tonya Couch is expected to face charges of hindering apprehension which could carry a sentence of between two and 10 years behind bars. Ethan Couch already has a hearing scheduled on Jan. 19 to allow him to be treated as an adult rather than a juvenile. If he remains a juvenile in the eyes of the court, the longest sentence he could receive is four months in confinement.

Even if he is transferred to an adult court, however, the maximum amount of time that he will spend in jail is 120 days since the adult court is bound by the terms of the original probation. If that happens, he will then have to abide by the remainder of his original 10-year probation period and will likely have to wear tracking devices, the District Attorney’s representative said.
        I kept my mouth shut when it happened, but if his parents were so profoundly dysfunctional that they were the reason he killed 4 people, then why wasn't terminating parental rights part of the deal? Throw his ass in the foster system, and do something that will actually change the supposed problem.

The kicker is that his mom is about to really pay the price for her role, while her little Golden Boy has very few consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
          I kept my mouth shut when it happened, but if his parents were so profoundly dysfunctional that they were the reason he killed 4 people, then why wasn't terminating parental rights part of the deal? Throw his ass in the foster system, and do something that will actually change the supposed problem.

The kicker is that his mom is about to really pay the price for her role, while her little Golden Boy has very few consequences.
          The foster system is grossly overloaded. There are a lot of kids currently in worse homes, and undoubtedly prison-bound unless they get removed from their current environment.

And its a long haul from being charged to doing time. Mom is a white woman with no criminal record and access to excellent lawyers. I bet they plea down to misdemeanor harboring.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              The foster system is grossly overloaded. There are a lot of kids currently in worse homes, and undoubtedly prison-bound unless they get removed from their current environment.

And its a long haul from being charged to doing time. Mom is a white woman with no criminal record and access to excellent lawyers. I bet they plea down to misdemeanor harboring.
              The other kids may be in worse environments, but if the parents were truly responsible for raising a child in manner that led to murder, that should be grounds for removal. I don't believe that to be true, but it was their argument. If the court accepted that, there should have been some condition to address the fact that his parents were raising him in a manner that made him a threat to himself and others.

I think I read that the mother previously plead guilty to running another car off the road. Not sure if that is considered serious from a legal standpoint, but it seems serious to me. With all the press this has gotten you don't think she'll have some kind of legitimate consequence?

I've lost faith in the legal and judicial systems, but a lot of that has to do with the neighborhood I live in.

Comment

The other kids may be in worse environments, but if the parents were truly responsible for raising a child in manner that led to murder, that should be grounds for removal. I don't believe that to be true, but it was their argument. If the court accepted that, there should have been some condition to address the fact that his parents were raising him in a manner that made him a threat to himself and others.

I think I read that the mother previously plead guilty to running another car off the road. Not sure if that is considered serious from a legal standpoint, but it seems serious to me. With all the press this has gotten you don't think she'll have some kind of legitimate consequence?

I've lost faith in the legal and judicial systems, but a lot of that has to do with the neighborhood I live in.
                The key in this case was when his lawyers won the motion to try him as an adult. Texas has a very tough judicial system, and a very weak juvenile system. The whole 'he was raised without consequences, hence driving drunk' argument was just media showmanship to draw attention away from the failed motion to try him as an adult.

As to mom, the prosecution will be looking at the challenge this case presents. The defense, which will be first-rate, will argue 'mother protecting child'. All they need is one juror to buy that and she walks. So a plea bargain is the best way to go: misdemeanor harboring, fine & probation.

Given that the kid isn't liable for anything more than 120 days in a county jail, mom doing hard time is a hard sell.

Plus the fact that women, especially white or Asian, traditionally do much better in front of juries than anyone else.

Everything in a criminal case comes down to a jury (or a judge, in juvie cases). Every time we build a case we do it with the jury in mind.

Comment

If the foster system is grossly overloaded (and I am not arguing that point) then why not bring back state-run orphanages? Or even County-run ones?
                  IMHO, a few responsible adults could do a better job than a mob of half-assed paid "parents" and the clowns that are supposed to be supervising it all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    If the foster system is grossly overloaded (and I am not arguing that point) then why not bring back state-run orphanages? Or even County-run ones?
                    IMHO, a few responsible adults could do a better job than a mob of half-assed paid "parents" and the clowns that are supposed to be supervising it all.
                    Because the civil cases that closed them down in the '70s, same as the looney bins.

There are group homes, but there still isn't anything near the kind of housing capacity we had forty years ago.

Comment

Because the civil cases that closed them down in the '70s, same as the looney bins.

There are group homes, but there still isn't anything near the kind of housing capacity we had forty years ago.
                      They didn't close all the looney bins. My senior year in high school our psychology class took a field trip to the State Mental Hospital in Rusk. It was enlightening, to say the least. We met Theresa Christ, the daughter of Jesus Christ. She propositioned on of my classmates to extend the holy bloodline!

Comment

And he's still in the juvvie system, so odds are not much will happen. TYC beds are at a premium right now. Odds are, as a non-violent offender the worst that will happen is a few months in summer camp, if anything.
                        I don't know how Texas operates, but in Illinois the goal is treatment rather than punishment.
                        As a result, I imagine that he would have gotten a similar sentence up here as he originally did down there.
                        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

They didn't close all the looney bins. My senior year in high school our psychology class took a field trip to the State Mental Hospital in Rusk. It was enlightening, to say the least. We met Theresa Christ, the daughter of Jesus Christ. She propositioned on of my classmates to extend the holy bloodline!
                          Nice of her.

Yeah, there's the Austin State hospital, too, but nowhere near the number of beds needed.

Originally posted by Cambronnne
                          I don't know how Texas operates, but in Illinois the goal is treatment rather than punishment.
                          As a result, I imagine that he would have gotten a similar sentence up here as he originally did down there.
                          Yeah, that's the excuse they use here, but judging by the number of TYC alumni we ship off to prison I'm confident our system is accomplishing squat. They get treated with kid gloves until they turn 17, and then its Katie bar the door.

I would think a little preventive cruelty might save a considerable number of lives, but so it goes.

Comment

Nice of her.

Yeah, there's the Austin State hospital, too, but nowhere near the number of beds needed.

Yeah, that's the excuse they use here, but judging by the number of TYC alumni we ship off to prison I'm confident our system is accomplishing squat. They get treated with kid gloves until they turn 17, and then its Katie bar the door.

I would think a little preventive cruelty might save a considerable number of lives, but so it goes.

I am also unimpressed with the (expensive) treatments options available in our State.
                            Prosecutors and Judges are encouraged to make use of the treatment plans, but too many of those plans are effective only in their billing schemes.
                            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

I live in a different world than the PC one you inhabit. This little piece of fecal material ran down four people and killed them with his car while he was drunk. Then, after getting kissed by the friendly judge who obviously feels a deep connection to the family's money, he ran off to Mexico with his Mommy. That's murder where I come from, and it's an adult crime as well, since adults drive and drink.

You stick to Texas and try to stop at least a dozen illegals a year, and I'll stick to Colorado. We never fewer of these scumbags coddled by liberal judges, not more, and "affluenza" is a term coined by rich idiots to be used by morons.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X