Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cafeteria Worker Fired For Giving Hungry Child A Free Lunch

What kind of society have we become?

A cafeteria worker at an Idaho middle school gave a free lunch to a 12-year-old student who said she was hungry, but the school district fired her Monday for her actions, the Idaho State Journal reported.
    Dalene Bowden said the Irving Middle School student didn't have any money to pay for the hot lunch. The cost: $1.70.
    The Pocatello/Chubbuck School District reportedly placed Bowden on leave Dec. 15 before deciding to fire her. She said she offered to pay for the lunch herself, but her supervisor said no.
    “This just breaks my heart, and I was in the wrong, but what do you do when the kid tells you that they’re hungry, and they don’t have any money? I handed her the tray,” Bowden told the Journal.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/23...ree-lunch.html
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

They should not have fired her.
    War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Damn lazy freeloading children. Get a job ya bum!

Comment

Its the precedent principle:

You give one kid a free meal, the next day ten say they don't have money, and so forth. What you do for one, you must do for all, or you are liable for discrimination.

There's also the point of using property that does not belong to you for charity.

If a McD's employee gets caught giving food away for free, they get fired.

Its just an angst piece. if a stranger gave your lawnmower away without your permission, you would be filing charges.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

You give one kid a free meal, the next day ten say they don't have money, and so forth. What you do for one, you must do for all, or you are liable for discrimination.

There's also the point of using property that does not belong to you for charity.

If a McD's employee gets caught giving food away for free, they get fired.

Its just an angst piece. if a stranger gave your lawnmower away without your permission, you would be filing charges.
          I think its more of your first thought about giving it away to 1 v. 10 v. the entire school eventually. Schools just can't afford it. Our communities suffer when we try to apply corporate metrics to kids, so McDonalds and your angst examples might not be on point.

It seems like there is always more to the story for these stories. We had a similar new story near Denver during the fall. They have violated other policies or disregarded directives before it got to this point, of they pissed off the wrong supervisor. When kids don't have money, they can go to a teacher for help, administrators can get a lunch when there's a good reason, or the school mental health folks seem to have snacks.

My school isn't the norm. Our poverty is around 60-70%. I keep certain snacks for whole sale that my kids can buy on the cheap, and others that are free for kids in need, lockdowns, etc. Food is a big issue in our school. I have kids who are always hungry, and always asking for food. Our local taxpayers don't have the money to feed all the kids all the food they want at school. So, just giving away a lunch is a 'no-no', because all the kids would expect it.

Sorry for the long response - had no idea I could write so much on school food finances.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
            I think its more of your first thought about giving it away to 1 v. 10 v. the entire school eventually. Schools just can't afford it. Our communities suffer when we try to apply corporate metrics to kids, so McDonalds and your angst examples might not be on point.

It seems like there is always more to the story for these stories. We had a similar new story near Denver during the fall. They have violated other policies or disregarded directives before it got to this point, of they pissed off the wrong supervisor. When kids don't have money, they can go to a teacher for help, administrators can get a lunch when there's a good reason, or the school mental health folks seem to have snacks.

My school isn't the norm. Our poverty is around 60-70%. I keep certain snacks for whole sale that my kids can buy on the cheap, and others that are free for kids in need, lockdowns, etc. Food is a big issue in our school. I have kids who are always hungry, and always asking for food. Our local taxpayers don't have the money to feed all the kids all the food they want at school. So, just giving away a lunch is a 'no-no', because all the kids would expect it.

Sorry for the long response - had no idea I could write so much on school food finances.
            You're probably right.

Our school district has a mechanism in place to provide lunches to needy kids, but there is a process that must be followed.
            Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post

Plenty of Americans will call you a liar - they don't believe Americans could ever struggle to feed themselves or their families. They'll probably claim the kids are just extorting you for cheaper food on your dime.

Comment

Poor children in the Uk tend to be obese. Is it the same in the Us? If so she was deservedly fired for giving a greedy child even more food.
                "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                  Plenty of Americans will call you a liar - they don't believe Americans could ever struggle to feed themselves or their families. They'll probably claim the kids are just extorting you for cheaper food on your dime.
                  And plenty, possibly more than "your" plenty, would agree with her. Quite a few areas in this nation are having struggles, assuming all those on "food stamps" aren't just scamming.
                  TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
                  “War is merely the continuation of politics by other means” - von Clausewitz

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                    Poor children in the Uk tend to be obese. Is it the same in the Us? If so she was deservedly fired for giving a greedy child even more food.
                    According to the National Institutes of Health, there is a relation between obesity and poverty within the US. In all likelihood, the child's parents have enough money for proper food, only they spend it on liquor, lottery tickets, and video games. It's an tale as common as dirt.

And the district was right to discipline the worker: it wasn't her food to give away, and how can the district turn away the next kid claiming hunger with a straight face?
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

The government gives it away and in the process halve of it is thrown out. Shameful system of waste we have.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        According to the National Institutes of Health, there is a relation between obesity and poverty within the US. In all likelihood, the child's parents have enough money for proper food, only they spend it on liquor, lottery tickets, and video games. It's an tale as common as dirt.

And the district was right to discipline the worker: it wasn't her food to give away, and how can the district turn away the next kid claiming hunger with a straight face?
                        Hey, we want people to be controlled, this is the best place to start.
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Has anyone confirmed the original story? At the risk of appearing to be a modern day Podsnap I ask because similar stories seem to arise somewhere almost every year.
                          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Sounds like welfare......
                            "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                              Sounds like welfare......
                              Good point.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X