X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    That's because it's only PC when conservatives disagree with it.
    They missed the real PC movement, the "The Cause of the South" rewrite of the Civil War era in the late 1890's till the 1970's. Still around just smaller.

Leave a comment:

• Daemon of Decay
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    The CSA was the biggest threat that the USA has ever faced. To have had even one memorial to any of it's leaders
    is ludicrous. Other country's would have hung them or lopped off their heads. That we didn't follow, now that was really PC.
    That's because it's only PC when conservatives disagree with it.

Leave a comment:

• Combat Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    Again you seem to lack understanding. Calling them pc punks isn't denying their right to do anything.

They are pc punks. No one proposed any law denying their right to be so. We are simply exercising our right to criticize them. Get used to it.
    You missed what I was posting to the quote I was responding to. Re-read it and think more.

Leave a comment:

• Combat Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
    You're confusing MEMORIALIZING a person and forgetting history. SIlly arguement. I'm quite sure they'll not forget the Civil War. Quite important to the area.

Leave a comment:

• Combat Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    Sure, and remove the evidence that there were ever any other sort of people living there. Pretend that there was never any of those people in your area, eh?
    Might as well have a book-burning party while you are at it.
    What people? Say what you mean.

Once again, local community, local issue, local decision. They don't want it tough **** for anyone that objects, not your call.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
    And the current people no longer want the memorial. So why are they not simply exercising their freedom? No, they are PC-Punks instead.... interesting view.
    Again you seem to lack understanding. Calling them pc punks isn't denying their right to do anything.

They are pc punks. No one proposed any law denying their right to be so. We are simply exercising our right to criticize them. Get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Local government responding to local constituents on matters of local concern. Why do the opponents of the big federal government have a problem with this?
    Has anyone advocated a big government response?

Every time you bitch about conservatives you act like personal criticism equates a big government response. The two aren't the same.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Leave a comment:

• ljadw
    replied
    Originally posted by FTCS View Post
    Seems that the PC police are marching again in New Orleans.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/us/new...onuments-vote/

Wonder when they are going to start burning books, destroying movies and old TV shows? Who knows how far they want to go? Is the Vietnam Wall next on their list? Maybe the Alamo, and San Jacinto Monument (of course there would be bloodshed there). The Little Big Horn Monument? Beecher Island Battlefield Monument?
    Who knows what's going to offend the sensitivities of the PC police next. Heck even Trump is on their list.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b7a3f...-ny-state-park

I don't know about anyone else, but I've just about had it with the PC police and some of our over sensitive college/university professors and students.
    You ain't see nothing yet : next year they will try to remove everything that reminds on Colombus,becauce he was a colonisator,and within a few years,everything that reminds on Washington because he possessed slaves.Etc,etc....

These people will stop at nothing,til someone locks them up in Fuller (Massachusetts).

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    And the current people no longer want the memorial. So why are they not simply exercising their freedom? No, they are PC-Punks instead.... interesting view.
    Sure, and remove the evidence that there were ever any other sort of people living there. Pretend that there was never any of those people in your area, eh?
    Might as well have a book-burning party while you are at it.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
    I will point out that at the time of the Civil War people in the USA identified more closely with their state than with the country as a whole.
    Just like Texans still claim that they do...

Leave a comment:

• Combat Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Let's extend that reasoning to other historical aspects. For example, what about "Historic districts" like buildings and homes? Why should someone be denied the ability to tear some old building down and put up a nice new shiny one in its place? Isn't a land owner exercising their freedom?
    Sure, within the law. If you don't like historical districts, don't buy a building there or work to get the law changed. How things work. However that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic. Which concerns PUBLIC memorials on public land being removed by the elected public representatives.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Let's extend that reasoning to other historical aspects. For example, what about "Historic districts" like buildings and homes? Why should someone be denied the ability to tear some old building down and put up a nice new shiny one in its place? Isn't a land owner exercising their freedom?

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    Originally posted by FTCS View Post
    Seems that the PC police are marching again in New Orleans.
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/17/us/new...onuments-vote/

Wonder when they are going to start burning books, destroying movies and old TV shows? Who knows how far they want to go? Is the Vietnam Wall next on their list? Maybe the Alamo, and San Jacinto Monument (of course there would be bloodshed there). The Little Big Horn Monument? Beecher Island Battlefield Monument?
    Who knows what's going to offend the sensitivities of the PC police next. Heck even Trump is on their list.
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/b7a3f...-ny-state-park

I don't know about anyone else, but I've just about had it with the PC police and some of our over sensitive college/university professors and students.
    I do not countenance the white washing of history, and I will point out that at the time of the Civil War people in the USA identified more closely with their state than with the country as a whole. For example, Lee considered himself a Virginian first and he made that quite clear when he resigned his commission in the U.S. Army as the war breaking out.

I also completely disagree the current gnashing of teeth and self-flagellation brought about anything to do with President Wilson at Princeton University or the consternation that ensued because the Navy decided to name a frigate (LCS) after Andrew Jackson. We cannot judge our forebears by our standards and I have to wonder if the anti-Jackson crowd would refuse to pick up a bill with Jackson's visage on it if they saw it lying on the sidewalk.

With that being said the Confederate sought to preserve slavery; the Confederate battle flag and monuments that honor people like Lee, Beauregard, and others like them are in effect honoring the struggle to preserve that odious institution. These monuments when retained should be placed in an appropriate context and the Confederate battle flag should be removed from public institutions and that is not political correctness any more than it is politically correct to refrain from displaying Nazi memorabilia in places of honor in any public institution.

Leave a comment:

• Combat Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    Oh, I agree with you on that, and you know it if you have ever seen me post about that.

However, destroying history is evil, and just plain Dumb.

I think people should be able to see things like that. It happened, and the monument is a reminder that there were people in the south that felt strongly enough about it to put up a marker like that after the war had been lost.
    That is itself is something to think about... and the truth of it is right there in concrete.

Here is something else - people were free to do so, how many other nations can say such a thing?

And here is the real kicker; people can look at that, learn how deadly and vehement that war was, and then look around and ask where the pro-Confederacy terrorists are, where the anti-Union Geurillas are holed up and what is being done to put them down.
    And watch their eyes when you tell that that none of that is happening, nor did it ever.

By the standards of many other parts of the world (yes, lets look at the Middle East today) that war should still be going on, people should still be dying and politicians should still be using it as an excuse for their own excessive regulation and oppression of every citizen they can reach.
    But that ain't happening, is it?

For 150 years, people could just walk walk past these old pieces of stone and just keep walking without giving it any thought.
    Well, until the current generation of PC-punks, that is...

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X