PC Police At It Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
    Local government responding to local constituents on matters of local concern. Why do the opponents of the big federal government have a problem with this?
    Has anyone advocated a big government response?

Every time you bitch about conservatives you act like personal criticism equates a big government response. The two aren't the same.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

And the current people no longer want the memorial. So why are they not simply exercising their freedom? No, they are PC-Punks instead.... interesting view.
      Again you seem to lack understanding. Calling them pc punks isn't denying their right to do anything.

They are pc punks. No one proposed any law denying their right to be so. We are simply exercising our right to criticize them. Get used to it.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        Sure, and remove the evidence that there were ever any other sort of people living there. Pretend that there was never any of those people in your area, eh?
        Might as well have a book-burning party while you are at it.
        What people? Say what you mean.

Once again, local community, local issue, local decision. They don't want it tough **** for anyone that objects, not your call.
        “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
        “To talk of many things:
        Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
        Of cabbages—and kings—
        And why the sea is boiling hot—
        And whether pigs have wings.”
        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
          You're confusing MEMORIALIZING a person and forgetting history. SIlly arguement. I'm quite sure they'll not forget the Civil War. Quite important to the area.
          “To talk of many things:
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
            Again you seem to lack understanding. Calling them pc punks isn't denying their right to do anything.

They are pc punks. No one proposed any law denying their right to be so. We are simply exercising our right to criticize them. Get used to it.
            You missed what I was posting to the quote I was responding to. Re-read it and think more.
            “To talk of many things:
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              The CSA was the biggest threat that the USA has ever faced. To have had even one memorial to any of it's leaders
              is ludicrous. Other country's would have hung them or lopped off their heads. That we didn't follow, now that was really PC.
              That's because it's only PC when conservatives disagree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                They missed the real PC movement, the "The Cause of the South" rewrite of the Civil War era in the late 1890's till the 1970's. Still around just smaller.
                “To talk of many things:
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                  What does it really have to do with Conservatives? You can prove that everyone that supports the removal of public Confederate monuments and symbols are all Liberals?

While I support the removal of that monument for that 1874 uprising, I am on the fence about the Davis and PTB statues. I am against the removal of the Lee statue.

Other than the uprising monument, I really do not buy into the argument that they are are divisive and are just PC actions to fulfill a "feel good" moment, just like every idiot that voted for Obama.

What if we somehow reunited with Britain in the future, will the statues of our Founding Fathers and our Revolutionary and 1812 Generals be thrown under the bus?

We criticize groups such as ISIS and AQ that destroys historical monuments in Iraq and Syria just because it offends their version of the world and Islam and yet some of the very same critics rub their hands together in glee with the destruction of our own historical monuments. No matter how many monuments that the Islamists destroys, it cannot modify history to all Islam just as no matter what we do, we can never remove the shame of our past in the enslaving our fellow man.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                    Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
                    And those who would erase it are probably wanting to.

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    While I support the removal of that monument for that 1874 uprising, I am on the fence about the Davis and PTB statues. I am against the removal of the Lee statue. ....
                    No no no NO.
                    You are not getting my point any better than CE is.

Our personal preferences are not what must guide us in this.

This is a concrete reminder that this happened. Its not a dry reference on the web or a textbook (do they still use those?) This is something to stand in front of that cannot be denied.
                    It is a reminder that once upon a time, people really were this ed up.

The Confederacy was the most colossal instance of mass-treason this nation has ever endured, and there were a lot of dummies that thought it was a good thing. They existed on the same land you and I walk around on today, and once in a while people need to be reminded of that.
                    Maybe then, they will think of the cost, the destruction, and HOPEFULLY stop thinking of another Civil War as a reasonable thing to do, or at least stop taking it so lightly.
                    Because, IMHO, we are close today, real close.

Are y'all seeing my point yet, or do I have to spell it out in Latin?
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                      It is a reminder that once upon a time, people really were this ed up.

The Confederacy was the most colossal instance of mass-treason this nation has ever endured, and there were a lot of dummies that thought it was a good thing. They existed on the same land you and I walk around on today, and once in a while people need to be reminded of that.
                      Maybe then, they will think of the cost, the destruction, and HOPEFULLY stop thinking of another Civil War as a reasonable thing to do, or at least stop taking it so lightly.
                      Because, IMHO, we are close today, real close.
                      I agree with you, to a point. Many Confederate memorials are of the "gee, that's ma great grandpappy, he kilt a bunch of dem damn Yankee" variety. They are actually proud of them. Then there are the historical memorials, like at Fort Sumter and Andersonville, showing how screwed up things were. The former is bad, the latter is good. It's sort of like the memorial at Dachau is a good reminder of WW2, while a memorial to Hitler wouldn't be. I guess that it all depends on the context.

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                        What does it really have to do with Conservatives? You can prove that everyone that supports the removal of public Confederate monuments and symbols are all Liberals?

While I support the removal of that monument for that 1874 uprising, I am on the fence about the Davis and PTB statues. I am against the removal of the Lee statue.

Other than the uprising monument, I really do not buy into the argument that they are are divisive and are just PC actions to fulfill a "feel good" moment, just like every idiot that voted for Obama.

What if we somehow reunited with Britain in the future, will the statues of our Founding Fathers and our Revolutionary and 1812 Generals be thrown under the bus?

We criticize groups such as ISIS and AQ that destroys historical monuments in Iraq and Syria just because it offends their version of the world and Islam and yet some of the very same critics rub their hands together in glee with the destruction of our own historical monuments. No matter how many monuments that the Islamists destroys, it cannot modify history to all Islam just as no matter what we do, we can never remove the shame of our past in the enslaving our fellow man.
                        Probably because just because something was erected doesn't give it intrinsic social, cultural, or historical worth.

Saying "we want statues honoring and celebrating figures we find despicable removed" is not the same thing as "we want to erase these events from history".

Should the US have left all those statues of Saddam standing? Refrained from repurposing any of his palaces? Not make alterations to any roads damaged by bombing to preserve the history of those events?

As for the conservative element, well, I'm certainly making an assumption, but it's certainly based on documented and observed phenomenon. We could always double check and see how many of the people talking about PC in this thread are Obama supporters.

Comment

And the current people no longer want the memorial. So why are they not simply exercising their freedom? No, they are PC-Punks instead.... interesting view.
                          They should take down the memorials. And they should replace them with ones more appropriate to the city. Like a memorial for Nagin's flooded school buses. And a memorial for Rep. Jefferson's creative use of the National Guard. And a memorial for how the community and the police joined together.......to loot!
                          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

No, taking down a memorial to a single person is not denying they existed. That is NOT the function of a memorial. Otherwise we'd have to have a memorial for every of ANY historical interest at all.
                            So, you think that it was perfectly OK for the Taliban to blow up the centuries old Buddhist statue carved into the cliff side in Afghanistan? Digging up the grave of a Confederate General is perfectly OK? Calling for the demolition of a sculpture in Stone Mountain OK?
                            “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
                              What these folks want to do is to deny history. By removing memorials of individuals who actually made history albeit un-PC history, the city is denying such people ever existed. They DID exist. The things that they championed existed. It's a fact.
                              The people who would minimize and deny the history of only 150 years ago are sort of like those folks who believe that the earth is only eight thousand years old.
                              Just for the record, I believe in the Creator God.

1. I believe that the world/universe/man was created in the timeframe and manner set out in the Book of Genesis, and have no problem accepting what was written.

2. I believe that denying history by removing monuments, outlawing flags etc, is wrong - regardless of the subject.

Dynamiting Auschwitz, for example, would not undo the Holocaust.

If you want to reduce the mental status of everyone who believes in the Creation to that of psychiatric institution inmates then go ahead.

But I am reasonably certain that my contributions to this forum over the last six years, inter alia, would suggest that people such as myself are capable of rational thought and expression.

Not everyone necessarily feels the need to go along with the tide of popular opinion.

Disagreement with what a lot of people here(and elsewhere) say, certainly.

Intellectually dishonest and/or intellectually deficient, certainly not.

Not in my case, anyway.
                              Last edited by At ease; 19 Dec 15, 07:26. Reason: Grammar.
                              "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                              "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                              — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                                Just like Texans still claim that they do...
                                Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X