Bangladeshis transforming Buffalo, one block at a time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangladeshis transforming Buffalo, one block at a time

Much of Broadway-Fillmore might seem like the poster child for blighted Rust Belt cities: criminals roaming the streets, boarded-up houses with plywood windows and empty storefronts separated by vacant lots. Urban decay replays block after block.

But take a closer look and walk around Woltz, Loepere and Gibson streets, and you will find rehabbed houses, replete with fresh coats of paint, new siding and gable roofs. Many empty parcels are fenced-in fruit and vegetable gardens. Prostitutes and drug dealers no longer walk these streets. Instead, seniors relax on their porches, watching as kids whiz by on bikes and families stroll to nearby groceries, a hardware store and accountant’s office.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...-time-20151212

For years I have seen young kids on the streets of my city who are out selling drugs instead of being in school. These Bangladeshis give me hope, they remind me of the African American men I talk to sometimes when I go out to a local diner for lunch. These Bangladeshis remind me of the Italian, Irish, and Polish American folks who I have talked to here in Buffalo. While crime is an issue in Buffalo(crime is an issue everywhere lets be honest here) we also have good peaceful people here in Buffalo.

The thought of a young 9 year old boy being gunned down by a drug dealer as was the case in Chicago a few weeks back...can get your hopes down. But what gets my hopes up are the people of the world who feed the poor, who help their neighbor, who work to make the world a better place. As someone who has lived in Buffalo their whole life...I fully welcome the Bangladeshis to the city that I call home.

Serious changes are being noticed in the inner city areas where the Bangladeshis have moved into

Crime declines

As Bangladeshis move into neighborhoods, crime declines in some of the city’s most crime-ridden areas.

While crime across the city dropped 30 percent from 2010 to 2015, it was even more dramatic in the city’s new Bangladeshi strongholds. Crime rates tumbled as much as 70 percent on those streets and neighborhoods, according to Buffalo Police Department data.

Loepere Street, where 80 homes are Bangladeshi-owned and Rahman remembers drug dealers and prostitutes working the block, criminal activity decreased by 64 percent.

“Now you hear children outside playing and see people going for walks, even into the evening, because it’s safer,” he said.

On Gibson Street, once known for a high rate of theft, burglaries dropped by 83 percent.

On Woltz Avenue, one of the most dangerous blocks in Broadway-Fillmore, crime fell by 70 percent. Bangladeshis own close to 80 homes on that street.

Longtime residents notice and appreciate the difference.

“I’ve lived here 15 years but it’s only recently I started letting friends and family visit,” said Allen Knight III, who owns a house on Woltz. “I was afraid they would get stabbed or shot.”

On Rodney Avenue in the Central Park Plaza neighborhood, where Aziz Ahmed bought a former drug house in 2011, crime dropped 68 percent. He was one of two Bangladeshis on the block, but as more bought homes, they quickly outnumbered the criminal element. There are almost 30 Bangladeshi families on the street.

“We don’t do drugs, so the drug dealers leave because they have nobody to sell to,” said Ahmed, a father of two. “We just want to live peacefully.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...-time-20151212

Here in Buffalo, some American citizens are afraid to invite their friends and family over due to violence associated with drug dealers and other types of criminals. As Irish, Italian, Polish, Russian Americans, we ought learn from these Bangladeshis. I suppose for the Bangladeshis, its more then just say no..its about defeating the evil of hardcore drugs with peace and tolerance.

I bet that most folks here on ACG don't have to face the trouble that our fellow American, Allen Knight III had to face right here in America. Thank God that Allen Knight III is now living in a safer neighborhood due to in major part the Bangladeshis. But you know what folks, there are only so many Bangladeshis here in the USA, it is on us to rid the streets of the disgusting drugs that are ruining the lives of so many families. Many of our fellow Americans live in crime ridden drug infested neighborhoods...but as true Americans we can defeat the drug dealers by donating funds or helping to build community centers in inner city areas, buying up houses that are used to sell drugs and reselling them(one can make some $$ this way to) to families.

Comment

Interesting story
      We hunt the hunters

Comment

Who are you kidding: a half-dozen ISIS vest-wearers can only improve Buffalo.

Rimshot
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Good point. Wonder how ISIS will make out against all of the drug dealers and gang bangers?
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

^ You're thinking of Detroit: a place that even Syrian refugees fear.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

No...I'm thinking of every major inner city in America, including Buffalo.
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                ^ You're thinking of Detroit: a place that even Syrian refugees fear.
                The Lions have struggled but I think its just a one year thing. Watch out for Det next year.

Fwiw There were a few interviews of Syrians in det who praised Detroit for taking them in.

You have probably noticed the Bangladeshis in your hood yes? How are the folks? I was told by a Bangladeshi immigrant that most of the immigrants coming from Bangladesh to the USA choose to settle in NYC. They hear from their friends in the big apple(some of who work 2-3 jobs to pay for rent) that NYC is the city that never sleeps, that people constantly working.

Buffalo welcomes the positive change that the Bangladeshis have brought. In a year where once again the Bills(and seemingly the Sabres) have missed the playoffs..we welcome positive news.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                  Berlin.1945
                  by casanova
                  The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                  Yesterday, 23:41
                • casanova
                  AW 169M
                  by casanova
                  The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                  Yesterday, 23:26
                • JBark
                  What changed?
                  by JBark
                  There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                  Yesterday, 18:54
                Working...
                X