X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trung Si
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    But the difference between winning and losing is in the details.

I've seen good and bad attorneys in action, and the difference is akin to night and day.

Much as it galls me to have to admit it, but the last line of defense for civil liberties in this country are trial lawyers.

When you see the awesome might of the State leveled at one man (and it can truly be an awesome force), and all that stands between him and disaster is a lawyer.

Casey Anthony is a prime point: one young, green attorney went to the wall for her, and while I'm confident she was guilty, he saw that she got a fair trial.

It much like surgeons. The best make the most, and if you're smart you don't pinch pennies when your life is on the line. You can use a Sears shyster if you're in a spat with your neighbor over property lines, but if you're looking at prison, better to be bankrupt and free than heading into the showers at Huntsville on a Saturday night.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Liars... err, lawyers, suck even when you need one. They want far too much in most cases for their services, which amount to filling out paperwork / forms for the most part.
    But the difference between winning and losing is in the details.

I've seen good and bad attorneys in action, and the difference is akin to night and day.

Much as it galls me to have to admit it, but the last line of defense for civil liberties in this country are trial lawyers.

When you see the awesome might of the State leveled at one man (and it can truly be an awesome force), and all that stands between him and disaster is a lawyer.

Casey Anthony is a prime point: one young, green attorney went to the wall for her, and while I'm confident she was guilty, he saw that she got a fair trial.

It much like surgeons. The best make the most, and if you're smart you don't pinch pennies when your life is on the line. You can use a Sears shyster if you're in a spat with your neighbor over property lines, but if you're looking at prison, better to be bankrupt and free than heading into the showers at Huntsville on a Saturday night.

Leave a comment:

• HMS Jr.
    replied
    Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Liars... err, lawyers, suck even when you need one. They want far too much in most cases for their services, which amount to filling out paperwork / forms for the most part.
    "Rank, doth hath it's privileges".

The alternative is representing yourself, or not requiring representation at all. Best bet, and less expensive.

Stay healthy, too. If you think lawyers are expensive, try out the more esoteric of medical specializations, hospital fees, etc.

Life ain't cheap. If you want it cheaper, try living on an Indian Reservation and go with tribal counsels and medicine men.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    Stupid augment if there has ever been one. Pure BS!
    Nope. It just illustrates the left's selective outrage.

How many motor vehicles are in the US? How many guns in the US?
    Per capita is probably close to being equal.

How many deaths were caused by accident?
    Funny that. You are more likely to die in a car accident than by accidental or purposeful discharge of a firearm.

Cars are just that much more dangerous.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    Originally posted by HMS Jr. View Post
    Lawyers suck...'til you need one.
    "Justice Is Blind", it's services and those that provide them aren't, and their eyesight improves when the commas and decimal points are in the right places.
    There's always the Public Defender's Office and The Pro Bono Lotto.

Leave a comment:

• HMS Jr.
    replied
    Lawyers suck...'til you need one.
    "Justice Is Blind", it's services and those that provide them aren't, and their eyesight improves when the commas and decimal points are in the right places.
    There's always the Public Defender's Office and The Pro Bono Lotto.

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Salinator View Post
    No probational conditions for minors in Texas?
    Yeah, until they're 18 there are a raft of conditions, and they are easy to suspend.

And just being arrested for DWI puts anyone's DL on probation, with a mandatory suspension if they are found guilty.

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    Drivers kill more people than guns. That's a fact.

Motor vehicle traffic deaths

• Number of deaths: 33,804
    • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.7

All firearm deaths

• Number of deaths: 33,636
    • Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.6

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

Now that some of the shootings are justified should skew the tally even more...

Just saying...
    Stupid augment if there has ever been one. Pure BS!

How many motor vehicles are in the US? How many guns in the US?

How many deaths were caused by accident? Whistle that one

Leave a comment:

• Salinator
    replied
    Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
    He was 16 at the time of the incident, and you can get a full DL at 16, which he had. Drinking as drunk as he was, his age was pretty immaterial.

Every state has different standards.
    No probational conditions for minors in Texas?

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied

All firearm deaths

Just saying...
    Life is terminal, always has been, always will be.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied

All firearm deaths

Just saying...

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    Originally posted by ljadw View Post
    Someone who killed 4 people should get 400 lashes and 40 years of prison .
    I opt for "shot" but that works too. Drunk driving is a crime that warrants no mercy. It is a premeditated act that kills thousands of people and can be scientifically determined beyond all shadow of doubt. Therefore the maximum example should be made of them. Run the blood alcohol level. Double check. If drunk, line up against a wall and shoot.

Leave a comment:

• ljadw
    replied
    I'm one of those people covered by a bond. It's saved me quite a bit of money. I'm still responsible for the damage that I cause or get. I'm a slow paranoid driver because of that...

There's a shite load of deer that want to leap into my windshield out here... So I go low and slow.

I insured my kid because kids are stupid. They just make bad decisions because they don't have the experience to make good ones...

But back to the subject a 15 year old with access to booze and driving while drunk is not good parenting. If I was on a jury I'd hit the parents with the maximum penalties that I could get...

That kid killed four people.

Someone who killed 4 people should get 400 lashes and 40 years of prison .

Leave a comment:

• Arnold J Rimmer
    replied
    15 isn't a age that can drive. Maybe in texas, but not out here.

Can't even get a permit at that age. You guys are seriously f'd up if you let children drive at that age....

We allow a learners permit at 16 that allow driving with a adult out here...

I was thinking about moving out there but you guys are flipping insane...
    He was 16 at the time of the incident, and you can get a full DL at 16, which he had. Drinking as drunk as he was, his age was pretty immaterial.

Every state has different standards.

Leave a comment:

• Bwaha
    replied
    15 isn't a age that can drive. Maybe in texas, but not out here.

Can't even get a permit at that age. You guys are seriously f'd up if you let children drive at that age....

We allow a learners permit at 16 that allow driving with a adult out here...

I was thinking about moving out there but you guys are flipping insane...

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X