Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Afflunza kid back in trouble.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Afflunza kid back in trouble.

    Texas police are looking for a teenager who avoided jail time for a drink-driving crash by claiming he suffered from "affluenza".
    An arrest warrant was issued on Wednesday after Ethan Couch failed to report to his probation officer.
    In 2013, he drove into a crowd and killed four people in Fort Worth while intoxicated.
    His lawyers said his privileged upbringing was partly to blame and argued for a lesser punishment.
    Couch, who was 16 at the time of the crash, received 10 years probation.
    The judge in the case said treatment for alcohol abuse and probation were better options than imprisonment.
    Couch, now 19, is already under investigation after he appeared to be drinking alcohol in a video posted to the internet.
    The terms of his probation prohibit Couch from using drugs or alcohol.
    "We have recently learned for the last several days the juvenile probation officer has been unable to make contact with Ethan or his mother, with whom he's been residing," Couch's lawyers Regan Wynn and Scott Brown, said in a statement.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35117311

    Book throwing time???
    Credo quia absurdum.


    Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

  • #2
    He's going to get butt hurt being thrown in jail...

    Comment


    • #3
      Wait until its done. Even though he's 19, since he was convicted under the juvie system, he is subject to the juvie system for parole/probation violations until he is 21.

      And despite our great system for dealing with adults, Texas' juvie system is a joke.

      The real victory his lawyers pulled off was blocking the prosecution's efforts to try him as an adult.

      The real hope is that he'll get caught on a new charge, since then he'll be tried as an adult.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
        Texas police are looking for a teenager who avoided jail time for a drink-driving crash by claiming he suffered from "affluenza".
        An arrest warrant was issued on Wednesday after Ethan Couch failed to report to his probation officer.
        In 2013, he drove into a crowd and killed four people in Fort Worth while intoxicated.
        His lawyers said his privileged upbringing was partly to blame and argued for a lesser punishment.
        Couch, who was 16 at the time of the crash, received 10 years probation.
        The judge in the case said treatment for alcohol abuse and probation were better options than imprisonment.
        Couch, now 19, is already under investigation after he appeared to be drinking alcohol in a video posted to the internet.
        The terms of his probation prohibit Couch from using drugs or alcohol.
        "We have recently learned for the last several days the juvenile probation officer has been unable to make contact with Ethan or his mother, with whom he's been residing," Couch's lawyers Regan Wynn and Scott Brown, said in a statement.

        http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35117311

        Book throwing time???
        By my reckoning, cases of this self-proclaimed social disease call for harsher sentencing, not lesser.

        Sounds like the little maggot skipped town with Mommy Dearest. If so, I would put both of them in jail.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
          Wait until its done. Even though he's 19, since he was convicted under the juvie system, he is subject to the juvie system for parole/probation violations until he is 21.

          And despite our great system for dealing with adults, Texas' juvie system is a joke.

          The real victory his lawyers pulled off was blocking the prosecution's efforts to try him as an adult.

          The real hope is that he'll get caught on a new charge, since then he'll be tried as an adult.
          You bring up a good point. Why do some "kids" get tried as adults and others as juveniles ?
          It should not be up to the prosecutor, you are either under 18 or you aren't.
          What this punk needs is three years in the military.
          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
            Wait until its done. Even though he's 19, since he was convicted under the juvie system, he is subject to the juvie system for parole/probation violations until he is 21.

            And despite our great system for dealing with adults, Texas' juvie system is a joke.

            The real victory his lawyers pulled off was blocking the prosecution's efforts to try him as an adult.

            The real hope is that he'll get caught on a new charge, since then he'll be tried as an adult.
            He already has a "new charge". He is now a fugitive from justice wanted for failure to appear in court. And if he has fled the state...
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              You bring up a good point. Why do some "kids" get tried as adults and others as juveniles ?
              It should not be up to the prosecutor, you are either under 18 or you aren't.
              What this punk needs is three years in the military.
              One word - "lawyers".
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                One word - "lawyers".
                Two words, lawyers being one. The other is "money" and lots of it in this case.
                Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                  Two words, lawyers being one. The other is "money" and lots of it in this case.
                  Absolutely!
                  Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                    You bring up a good point. Why do some "kids" get tried as adults and others as juveniles ?
                    It should not be up to the prosecutor, you are either under 18 or you aren't.
                    What this punk needs is three years in the military.
                    But do the military need punks? They might do a very good job of straightening him out but it isn't what their primary job is.
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                      You bring up a good point. Why do some "kids" get tried as adults and others as juveniles ?
                      It should not be up to the prosecutor, you are either under 18 or you aren't.
                      What this punk needs is three years in the military.
                      In Texas the prosecutor can apply via a pre-trial hearing to try a juvie as an adult, but its up to a judge.

                      In Texas the burden is to show that the nature and severity of the subject's actions are such that it warrants such treatment.
                      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                        In Texas the prosecutor can apply via a pre-trial hearing to try a juvie as an adult, but its up to a judge.

                        In Texas the burden is to show that the nature and severity of the subject's actions are such that it warrants such treatment.
                        So in Texas, someone charged with multiple counts of vehicular assault is not considered an adult regardless of age?
                        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                          In Texas the prosecutor can apply via a pre-trial hearing to try a juvie as an adult, but its up to a judge.

                          In Texas the burden is to show that the nature and severity of the subject's actions are such that it warrants such treatment.
                          It's like that here also.
                          My question is, what is a adult crime? I'm 65 years old, I have never committed murder or rape or drug violations. Apparently I'm a juvenile.
                          I see a 15 year old kid commit a murder and the argument is he committed an adult crime he should be charged as an adult.
                          So what is a juvenile crime? Do crimes indicate maturity?
                          I think it's simple, you are either 18 or your ain't.
                          But that's just me, I get it that a juvenile would be released earlier, maybe that needs to change.
                          Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                          Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            But do the military need punks? They might do a very good job of straightening him out but it isn't what their primary job is.
                            That's alway been the question, I knew kids that were getting into trouble back in the 60s when I went to high school, the judge gave them the choice of jail or the army and they went into the army, saved their lives. Never offended again, but then, these were not gang members dealing drugs and killing anyone, they were stealing cars or some non violent crime.
                            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                            Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The last time I checked, the all volunteer military services were not taking anyone with criminal records.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X