Los Angeles/New York schools threat - Show us the email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Angeles/New York schools threat - Show us the email

Los Angeles took the terrorist email threat against their schools as credible and closed every one of their schools today. New York dismissed it as a hoax due to the kind of language in the email. I've heard snippets of what the email contained, but I want to see the actual text so I can evaluate whether or not I would have taken it seriously.

Now they are trying to find the presumed hoaxer, so why not release it publicly? If I remember correctly, the Uni-bomber was identified because his written manifesto was published in the press and his brother recognized the kind of writing used as that used by the bomber.

So why not release the text of the email threat? Someone would likely recognize the language style.

If anyone knows where we can read the email, please post a link to it. I've looked but cannot find it.

Philip
    Last edited by PhilipLaos; 15 Dec 15, 18:15.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

The emails might not have been the same...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/16...?_r=0&referer=
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      The emails might not have been the same...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/16...?_r=0&referer=
      The emails were from the same sender and the same IP address. The difference seems to have been the Los Angeles one specified by name a number of L.A. schools, and the New York email specified by name a number of N.Y. schools that were to be attacked.

If the authorities won't release the actual emails, I would settle for a reason why not, because I can't think of one.

Surely not because, as is being reported, they mention a male body part in the form of an obscenity.

Let's see the actual language in the emails! That would be a big help in finding the hoaxer/s.

Philip
      Last edited by PhilipLaos; 15 Dec 15, 19:28.
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
        The emails were from the same sender and the same IP address. The difference seems to have been the Los Angeles one specified by name a number of L.A. schools, and the New York email specified by name a number of N.Y. schools that were to be attacked.

If the authorities won't release the actual emails, I would settle for a reason why not, because I can't think of one.

Surely not because, as is being reported, they mention a male body part in the form of an obscenity.

Let's see the emails!

Philip
        I don't think they can, or at least shouldn't, release the emails this early in the investigation.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

From what I have heard the IP adress was in Germany .

Comment

I don't think they can, or at least shouldn't, release the emails this early in the investigation.
            Perhaps not, but Phil has a point; when has such evidence ever been released to us?

And when has such a warning/threat ever been a good indication that the real thing is imminent?
            Thus far, the only good warning in this country has been if they run a "Drill", and oh man if they ever do where you are, get the hell out of Dodge because you know something is coming!

Comment

Over here they would be worried that should someone be brought to trial some lawyer would be claiming an unfair trial because early release of evidence into the public domain had prejudiced the jury - and you are even more lawyered up over there.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post

Let's see the actual language in the emails! That would be a big help in finding the hoaxer/s.

Philip
                I'm guessing that the authorities don't really care whether a Brit ex-pat takes it seriously or not.

There's several good reasons not to release it:

1) It is evidence in an active investigation

2) Releasing it would help other hoaxers in improving their efforts to disrupt school operations.

3) Releasing it could create legal issues from parents, especially in NY.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

3) Releasing it could create legal issues from parents, especially in NY.
                  Hard to see how. Mind enlightening me on the legalities of that?
                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X