Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to start to break the NRA stranglehold over craven, cowed and compliant congress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ljadw View Post

There are a lot of laws limiting the ability to sell, buy, possess and use guns .
    This proves that the NRA is not dictating Congress what to do .
    Criminals don't follow laws. Therefore it's better to remove all laws.

I think the government should provide a program to arm every single individual over the age of 16. Everyone gets a gun. Open carry, anywhere.

It's the only way to be safe and ready for the next mass shooter! We also need full auto's back to combat the semi-auto's. It's the only way to be safe and prepared!

Comment

• The gun debate is moot. There are more legally held guns than people in the USA. There's no way of putting that genie back in the bottle. I think the real question is why there is so much violence in American society. While gun ownership is high relative to the rest of the developed world gun deaths are far higher than the rest of the developed world, even in proportion to the guns.

I'd be looking at education and investment in socially deprived areas and I'd be accepting that there are no quick fixes. I'd also look at decriminalising drugs and possibly legalising them completely. The impact that illegal drugs have had in the USA is profound but the impact of the drugs market in America on its Southern neighbours is far greater.

I think that talk of banning guns is asking the wrong question.
      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

• Originally posted by asterix View Post
        Planned Parenthood has a much tighter stranglehold (or vacuum) on Congress than the NRA could ever dream of. And unlike the NRA, Planned Parenthood's business model is directly tied to mass murder.

Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

• Originally posted by E.D. Morel View Post
          The gun debate is moot. There are more legally held guns than people in the USA. There's no way of putting that genie back in the bottle. I think the real question is why there is so much violence in American society. While gun ownership is high relative to the rest of the developed world gun deaths are far higher than the rest of the developed world, even in proportion to the guns.

I'd be looking at education and investment in socially deprived areas and I'd be accepting that there are no quick fixes. I'd also look at decriminalising drugs and possibly legalising them completely. The impact that illegal drugs have had in the USA is profound but the impact of the drugs market in America on its Southern neighbours is far greater.

When one realizes that our average state out of the "58"* is larger in size than most of the European nations and our "diversity" is more integrated and less segregated than in Europe**, the factors for social friction are up a bit. If one were to look at statistics on a USA state per state basis, we might find that some of our states do better than some of the "developed world" (and developing) nations.

A couple of other social/society factors are our longer and more extensive history of personal freedom which puts focus on citizen self-control over state-control and the fact that as a nation built by immigrants, we attracted certain "misfit" sorts from other nations.

This is a rather brief reply and the topic may deserve a thread of it's own, but basically comparing the USA to "other nations" is like comparing apples to bananas. We are 240 years old and aside from the "Indian Wars" of Western expansion, have only fought one war within between our member States("nations"), whereas over in Europe for example, how many wars have been fought on their turf over the past 240 years?

We may have a bit more violence and murder here on a person to person level, but across the pond that has been on a much more massive and state sponsored scale over the same comparable timescales.

* per the liberal arts, non STEM, "community organizer" recently serving as POTUS.
          ** Until recently, in Europe, French were mostly in France, Italian mostly in Italy, etc. with their different cultures and languages. The recent influx of mostly Muslims from Africa, Middle East, and Asia might change these segregated demographics a bit.
          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

• I don't buy the "We're special" argument.
            14.3% of the US population was born outside the US. 25% of New Zealand's population was born outside New Zealand.
            In Europe even ireland, at 15.9%, have a higher percentage of foreign born residents.
            "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

I don't buy the "We're special" argument.
              14.3% of the US population was born outside the US. 25% of New Zealand's population was born outside New Zealand.
              In Europe even ireland, at 15.9%, have a higher percentage of foreign born residents.
              Wasn't so much a current matter of immigration as much as the range of racial and ethnic diversity, and how some of it pockets into concentrated locations.

Meanwhile, see you dodged the perpetual wars in Europe issue which has caused more murder/deaths over there in past 240 years than we have here. Recall something about glass houses and stone throwing.

Not "special", that's a typical Euro bias/view towards us, but "different".

Perhaps this music/video clip will provide some insight;
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IABR...ature=youtu.be
              TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post

Are you being obtuse?
                No. Are you?

I was, however, CBR officer for my combat battalion and I had an interest in the most efficient use of such weapons.

Which is most efficient? Crushing the enemy under huge boulders launched from catapults, or shooting them at long range with a single bullet?

That is the essential difference I am discussing...or was. Obviously, such distinctions are meaningless in this setting.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No. Are you?

I was, however, CBR officer for my combat battalion and I had an interest in the most efficient use of such weapons.

Which is most efficient? Crushing the enemy under huge boulders launched from catapults, or shooting them at long range with a single bullet?

That is the essential difference I am discussing...or was. Obviously, such distinctions are meaningless in this setting.
                  Unlike most people I do believe in theory that you could win a nuclear war. I think people just don't want to contemplate the possibility. There are good reasons for this attitude the primary one being mass murder for political objectives.
                  We hunt the hunters

Comment

• Originally posted by G David Bock View Post

Wasn't so much a current matter of immigration as much as the range of racial and ethnic diversity, and how some of it pockets into concentrated locations.
                    Fair enough but there have also been massive population shifts in Europe as a result, and a cause, of the wars you mentioned.

Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
                    Meanwhile, see you dodged the perpetual wars in Europe issue which has caused more murder/deaths over there in past 240 years than we have here. Recall something about glass houses and stone throwing.
                    No argument there but we are where we are, it is what we do now to deal with the impact of historical legacies that matters.

Not "special", that's a typical Euro bias/view towards us, but "different".
                    Every country is different. Using that as a justification for not addressing problems is weak.

Perhaps this music/video clip will provide some insight;
                    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IABRgZH12YA&feature=youtu.be[/url]
                    I donít watch YouTube clips

Comment

I don't buy the "We're special" argument.
                      On May 10 1940,millions of illegal immigrants entered the Netherlands, Belgium and France . It took 5 years and millions of deaths to expel them .
                      Since 1975 dozens of millions of illegal immigrants have entered Europe: it will take dozens of years and dozens of millions of victims to expel them .
                      Both came with the same motivation : to kill,rape and enslave the aborigines .

Comment

The gun debate is moot. There are more legally held guns than people in the USA. There's no way of putting that genie back in the bottle. I think the real question is why there is so much violence in American society. While gun ownership is high relative to the rest of the developed world gun deaths are far higher than the rest of the developed world, even in proportion to the guns.

While I agree that it is too late to consider banning guns, I must point out that our murder rate has fairly steadily declined since the early 1990s while gun ownership has exploded.
                        If the mere presence of guns meant that there would be more murders that would not be possible.

The vast majority of gun related homicides take place where there is already high crime. Not where there are high levels of gun ownership.
                        Mass killings are a different issue, and while not as frequent are still a problem.
                        Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

While I agree that it is too late to consider banning guns, I must point out that our murder rate has fairly steadily declined since the early 1990s while gun ownership has exploded.
                          If the mere presence of guns meant that there would be more murders that would not be possible.

The vast majority of gun related homicides take place where there is already high crime. Not where there are high levels of gun ownership.
                          Mass killings are a different issue, and while not as frequent are still a problem.
                          Yes, that's kind of the point I was making.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cambronnne View Post

I think you need to get your medication checked.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X