Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student Pushing Free College Plan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    The biggest cost for colleges is their payouts to their own staff. Teacher salaries have increased over the past 20 years, but not nearly as quickly as the Deans and administration.

    To make free education a reasonable option, you would need to slash pay to make funding students affordable to the state government. That won't be popular.

    Most states have reduced the money they put into state schools and have passed the costs onto the students because it's a quick way for a governor to show he's "cutting spending" or trying to "balance the budget".

    With state's unwilling to foot the bill, you end up relying upon the federal government to do so in their stead - and that is another can of worms added to the mix.

    Simply put, any concept of making college free has to first address reducing the costs. Otherwise, you will just end up with the federal government spending more money on college tuition that will only increase.

    If people are going to pay you regardless of what you will charge, then why not charge more?

    Until they address how they will keep the price of college low, rather than just the cost to the student, they're only going to make the problem worse.
    I've addressed how to find the money and how to reduce costs in another thread on this. However, I doubt it will be implemented any time soon.


    One thing that surprised me is that there are countries offering free college educations to non citizens. They are trying to attract young talent and then after graduation keep them in the country.
    First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

    Comment


    • #17
      If she were a bit better looking she'd have a future as a beauty pageant contestant...



      Of course, she could always change her major to a Mrs. degree...

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
        Free college education is a pretty common thing outside the US.
        So is free health care. Maybe those folks who want a free college education can leave.
        ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

        Comment


        • #19
          Education Programs

          Many benefits are available to advance the education and skills of Veterans and Servicemembers. Spouses and family members may also be eligible for education and training assistance in fact, 25 percent of those benefitting from VAs education programs are non-Veterans. Some might find they're eligible for more than one benefit or that one program is more suited to certain education and training goals than another.
          Learn about these and other education and training programs administered by VA or start your application now:



          http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/ed...n_programs.asp
          Credo quia absurdum.


          Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
            So is free health care. Maybe those folks who want a free college education can leave.
            Yawn. It's boring to continuously explain to conservatives that disagreeing with them does not mean we need to leave the country. Freedom of speech you know.
            First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
              So is free health care. Maybe those folks who want a free college education can leave.
              The difference is that in some countries, like Finland, it isn't like the US where anyone can get into college. You have to compete for a limited number of openings for degrees that actually have value.

              Comment


              • #22
                The Millennial generation is fully into college and the workplace:
                --They hop to be the next great generation and to turn around all the 'wrong' they see in the world;
                --They grew up more sheltered than any other generation as parents strived to protect them form the evils of the world;
                --They give respect for competency not title (respond poorly to those who act in an authoritarian manner and/or who expect to be respected due to higher rank alone);
                --They have a strong sense of entitlement(to include high pay) and expect to influence the terms and conditions of the job;
                --Raised to feel valued and very positive about themselves; they see as a sign of disrespect any requirement to do thing just because this is the way it has always been done or to pay one's dues (certain disregard for others' experience);
                --In the workplace, act fast on their interest or you will lose them.
                Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I find it annoying that these kids want something for nothing. If you want educational benefits join the military or get a job that helps you with your education. Whining about not having free benefits isn't dignified in any fashion.

                  Also if it was free it would have little value. If you have to work for it you will value it... (And won't take stupid classes either.) Point is get a job and pay for it yourself...
                  Credo quia absurdum.


                  Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                    Free college education is a pretty common thing outside the US.
                    How exactly do you define "pretty common"?
                    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      To be truly fair...the same could be said to liberals, with the appropriate modification in bold:

                      Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                      Yawn. It's boring to continuously explain to liberals that disagreeing with them does not mean we need to be assaulted. Freedom of speech you know.
                      Fixed.

                      http://www.westernjournalism.com/chr...national-news/

                      Say what you want about the source...doesn't make this story any less alarming.
                      Last edited by asterix; 13 Nov 15, 15:10.
                      You'll live, only the best get killed.

                      -General Charles de Gaulle

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                        I've addressed how to find the money
                        You sound just like the girl in the video.

                        Current college debt is around $1.3 TRILLION....

                        http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-student-loans
                        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
                          The Millennial generation is fully into college and the workplace:
                          --They hop to be the next great generation and to turn around all the 'wrong' they see in the world;
                          --They grew up more sheltered than any other generation as parents strived to protect them form the evils of the world;
                          --They give respect for competency not title (respond poorly to those who act in an authoritarian manner and/or who expect to be respected due to higher rank alone);
                          --They have a strong sense of entitlement(to include high pay) and expect to influence the terms and conditions of the job;
                          --Raised to feel valued and very positive about themselves; they see as a sign of disrespect any requirement to do thing just because this is the way it has always been done or to pay one's dues (certain disregard for others' experience);
                          --In the workplace, act fast on their interest or you will lose them.
                          You can add less likely to be violent, commit crime, or use drugs (except pot).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                            Free college education is a pretty common thing outside the US.

                            Not all oversea degrees are acceptable to US companies.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                              Yawn. It's boring to continuously explain to conservatives that disagreeing with them does not mean we need to leave the country. Freedom of speech you know.
                              I've never advocated that Progressives have to leave... They are fully entitled to their opinions no matter how absurdly insane they may be...

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                                The difference is that in some countries, like Finland, it isn't like the US where anyone can get into college. You have to compete for a limited number of openings for degrees that actually have value.
                                I wonder if anyone has ever done a study of degree program participation by country. There's a lot of bleating about how other countries pay for college. I'd like to see if these countries have vast numbers of liberal arts colleges that churn out bachelor's of psychology or women's studies. ......or if as I suspect they have few open spots in those programs and larger colleges of career oriented programming.
                                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X