Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Pushing Free College Plan

She didn't come prepared for this interview:

Keely Mullen, an organizer for the Million Student March movement, joined Fox Business Network anchor Neil Cavuto on the air Thursday to discuss the movementís demands for free public college, student debt cancelation and a $15-an-hour minimum wage for student workers. In the awkward 9-minute interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1y5g1O3-Y

...seriously?

Did Keely Mullen actually qualify to get into a college? This entitled, airheaded twit single handedly put her 'million student' movement into a hole that it most likely will never crawl out from.
    These demands of free tuition, debt forgiveness, and $15/hr pay for (whom?) menial workers are products of this generation of mollycoddled, disengaged, spoiled children (and they ARE children) who think that the world owes them all a living.
    How about they go out and EARN their way through college? How about they go out and serve our country in the armed forces, or volunteer their time in community service?
    College is not a right. It's a choice. If one makes the choice to attend college then one needs to fund it oneself. The US taxpayer is not responsible for bankrolling your life, Ms Mullen. Take some RESPONSIBILITY for yourself.
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I was all set to actually read about his plan until I saw that designator next to his name - "organizer". Obama is an "organizer" and he's systematically wrecking America, so I have no interest in what another "organizer" wants to do to our college system, with himself in charge no doubt for a hugely inflated salary.

We don't need "organizers" - we need hard workers, and problem solvers.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        IWe don't need "organizers" - we need hard workers, and problem solvers.
        Take some time to watch the video, it is a good example of what is wrong with college.

Comment

Since she didn't have any real answers prepared for the questions Cavuto asked, it's obvious she had never been asked those questions before. She was accustomed to being given softball questions from, likely sympathetic, reporters. All of the questions that Cavuto asked were simple logical questions that any reporter should've asked. "You want X amount of money spent, where's that money supposed to come from?" I think that video says as much about "journalist" in this country as it does college students.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
            Take some time to watch the video, it is a good example of what is wrong with college.
            I have been seeing what is wrong not only with college, but with our entire educational system, for decades on the news and everywhere else, and even worse...in the real world around me.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
              Since she didn't have any real answers prepared for the questions Cavuto asked, it's obvious she had never been asked those questions before. She was accustomed to being given softball questions from, likely sympathetic, reporters. All of the questions that Cavuto asked were simple logical questions that any reporter should've asked. "You want X amount of money spent, where's that money supposed to come from?" I think that video says as much about "journalist" in this country as it does college students.
              Good points but I would also throw out here that it shows a complete lack of critical thinking by the student.

She didn't bother to crunch the numbers before she went on national television.

Comment

There is already a plan proposed by President Obama. It's called, America's College Promise. It wasn't popular with students because there are performance requirements attached to the free tuition.

Democrats want this front and center of their campaign going into 2016. They believe if they can get a majority of college students to go to the polls, they might get another turnout like Obama 08. This time, it will be Hillary 2016. Students are led to believe they can attain this, if only they go to the polls and vote Democrat. Most will fall for it, then after the elections students will be told there is no money to do this, so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                  Good points but I would also throw out here that it shows a complete lack of critical thinking by the student.

She didn't bother to crunch the numbers before she went on national television.
                  I wouldn't dispute that. If she had been asked those questions before, she would've known they were coming, and would've prepared some answer for them. That's why professional politicians can always come up with some answer to any question they are asked. Or at least have some way to dodge questions they don't have a real answer for. It's from experience and practice. I used to work in broadcasting. I took part in more than one political debate in that time. It would always become obvious very quickly who were the professional politicians, and who was just the "good ole boy" running for office. Now that doesn't mean the "good ole boys" were bad people, or wouldn't have done a good job in office, it would just be painful to watch them try to answer the same questions the professional politicians would just glide right through. It only took one question from Cavuto for her to remind of the "good ole boys." She had that same look on her face as they did. Since she didn't even have some BS answer ready, she probably had never been asked them before.

Comment

She had probably spent her life watching "conservative" pundits and experts and whatnot get obliterated on CBS or MSNBC by double and triple teams of progressives throwing out gotcha questions, and figured that her progressive point of view was infallible and she could certainly duplicate those results.

Only way she would have willingly gone on FOX....pure ignorance of the actual power of logic and reason to make someone look like a dumbass.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                      She had probably spent her life watching "conservative" pundits and experts and whatnot get obliterated on CBS or MSNBC by double and triple teams of progressives throwing out gotcha questions, and figured that her progressive point of view was infallible and she could certainly duplicate those results.

Only way she would have willingly gone on FOX....pure ignorance of the actual power of logic and reason to make someone look like a dumbass.
                      Fox news is the biggest joke I've ever seen. One commentator disagreed with his fellow conservative on an issue and they attacked him with insane fervor. He couldn't even finish his opinion, and he only disagreed on one issue. They routinely treat atheists or liberals with disdain and try to cut them off constantly. I don't know why people who aren't rabid conservative Christians go on the show.
                      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

Those "gotcha" questions should be easy to deal with now, if conservatives have been facing the same ones for decades now.

Still, she seems to fit the mold of possessing more belief than ability. Or common sense.

I can understand student frustration with high tuition, but the rallying cry of "free college education!" will never fly.

Comment

Interesting to see how folks use terms such as liberals, the left, the right, conservatives here @ ACG.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                            Those "gotcha" questions should be easy to deal with now, if conservatives have been facing the same ones for decades now.

Still, she seems to fit the mold of possessing more belief than ability. Or common sense.

I can understand student frustration with high tuition, but the rallying cry of "free college education!" will never fly.
                            Free college education is a pretty common thing outside the US.
                            First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                              Free college education is a pretty common thing outside the US.
                              The biggest cost for colleges is their payouts to their own staff. Teacher salaries have increased over the past 20 years, but not nearly as quickly as the Deans and administration.

To make free education a reasonable option, you would need to slash pay to make funding students affordable to the state government. That won't be popular.

Most states have reduced the money they put into state schools and have passed the costs onto the students because it's a quick way for a governor to show he's "cutting spending" or trying to "balance the budget".

With state's unwilling to foot the bill, you end up relying upon the federal government to do so in their stead - and that is another can of worms added to the mix.

Simply put, any concept of making college free has to first address reducing the costs. Otherwise, you will just end up with the federal government spending more money on college tuition that will only increase.

If people are going to pay you regardless of what you will charge, then why not charge more?

Until they address how they will keep the price of college low, rather than just the cost to the student, they're only going to make the problem worse.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X