No announcement yet.

Veterans Urge US Military to Remove Barriers That Prevent Sikhs From Serving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also wonder how a bardas gas hood would work. Like those supplied to Israel during the Gulf War.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
      That is not a gas mask, that is a hood.

This adds an additional layer to the system. You will still need a hood over the gas mask to protect against being sprayed. Decontaminating without the additional hood would cause the hood to be contaminated.

Additionally the 'cooling gel packs' would be cut off and ineffective once you tightened your gas mask straps around the hood.

It is impossible to have a beard friendly gas mask.

The only way to have one is with a supplied air respirator which has a battery issue problem or a self contained breathing apparatus which has an air supply tank issue.

Both of those type of masks would not work very well in field conditions.
      I guess you didn't bother reading the claims section where some of this is discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
        I guess you didn't bother reading the claims section where some of this is discussed.
        Duncan,

I did read it, it is still talking about the hood.

I think you may be getting the two confused.

The patent is for a hood, a balaclava type piece of equipment, not a gas mask.
        "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I also wonder how a bardas gas hood would work. Like those supplied to Israel during the Gulf War.
          Those masks are great if you have the infrastructure to support them. If you can keep a good supply of batteries handy....you really can't beat an over-pressure system.

For field use you are pretty much stuck with the current masks.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
            Agreed. No special exceptions. These rules exist for a reason and allowing people to opt out of them is a slippery slope. If they want to serve that badly I'm sure they could get a religious exemption instead of expecting the military to change. Heck, even fundamentalist Muslims make exceptions for "soldiers" when it comes to required daily prayers.
            I agree.

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            Weapons laws within the City of New York, for both firearms and bladed weapons, differ greatly not only from the rest of the United States, and from the rest of the State of New York, but also from plain old common sense: they're a liberal's wet dream.
            See my post below.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            No, it is not a Right. Everyone cannot serve, even if they want to. There are age restrictions, education, mental health, physical condition, height, weight, criminal record, and a plethora of other restrictions on being allowed in the service.
            The US military in WW 2 with the draft going rejected anywhere from about 25% to 50% of draftees for service on a wide range of issues.
            If you had a Right to serve, you couldn't be barred, or rejected for service except in pretty exceptional circumstances. That isn't the case. You have no Right to military service.
            Exactly, if you sign on the dotted line, you have to play by their rules, your civilian rules are in the rear view mirror, been there, done that.

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
            The special forces exemption had already been discussed to death. There's nothing to day that hadn't already been said by myself and others. Go back in this thread band read it if you'd like.

If exceptions to policy are made for one person then the precedent exists and they must be made for others. The examples I gave are exactly the same as this, only the details differ. I'll give another. What if a Muslim woman is serving and wants to wear a hijab in uniform? I'm not talking about civil engagement teams wearing then in country to appease the locals I'm talking about in garrison. Should that be allowed?
            They aren't begin excluded because I'd a gas mask. They're being excluded because they refuse to conform to the same standards as everyone else.
            If you want to dance to the music you have to pay to the piper!

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            Let's go over this again, since you skipped past much of the thread: they're Spec Ops, and their missions often necessitate "blending in." In Bosnia, for example, members of DevGru wore civies, carried concealed weapons, and rode public transport to their targets. Since when do such tasks fall within the purview of leg infantry?

Can you furnish that photo's provenance? I've lived in NYC all of my life -- aka "Hymietown," at least according to Rev Jesse Jackson -- and I ain't never seen no Haredi in a uniform, not USA, USN, USMC, USAF, USCG, nor NG, nor NYPD. They deliberately segregate themselves from the greater community, therefore they don't volunteer for armed services, police, etc. When they do EMT, they don't apply through a hospital or FDNY, but through Hatzolah: the Haredi medic and ambulance service.

Incidentally, my wife was recently pipped for training a Haredi women as an EMT, and she's the first, and thus far only, female EMT to work a Hatzolah ambulance.

Hatzolah still takes public monies, and still keeps women, save that one, off their ambulances. That's patently unconstitutional, but no one wants to cross them, so they keep doing it their way.

Tell that to David Robinson: the only reason the seven footer went to Annapolis is because they promised him a shot at wings. What they didn't tell him is that USN flight seats aren't built to his dimensions, so he had to spend his navy career ashore.

I'd also heard about an Asian fellow of short stature who was denied entry to flight school on account of his thighs being too short for flight seats -- so he began an extreme exercise regimen that actually lengthened his femur the require amount. So much for one size fits all.

Really? Why don't you ask a Jew in an elevator about that on Shabbas.

In a sense there is though. A good many Sikh men have chosen to crop their hair and beards, and now a handful of bearded Sikhs want the regs amended just for them. The shaven fellows are every bit the Sikhs that the bearded are, only they don't feel the need to advertise it by wearing a hairy billboard on their faces. This is just a case of "holier than thou," "look at me, I'm so pious" crap. Haredi Jews pull that crap on the Conservative and Reform Jews all the time. This sounds like more of the same.
            The top Picture is from a Hollywood Movie, the middle one I don't know about, in the bottom picture the old coot on the left wearing the 18th ABN Corps combat patch is probably long retired same with the one on the right and can wear anything they want and I am willing to bet the didn't wear them when they were active and the kid in the middle is definitely not wearing a US Army uniform judging by the insignia.
            Last edited by Trung Si; 13 Nov 15, 13:42.
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

That is asinine. The U.S.A. has a hard-on for firearms. It's a nation where you can order a handgun by mail, has dumb ass stand your ground laws, wants everyone to carry a gun and even legislates it in some places, embraces and celebrates firearms as a form of jewelry, and it has a problem with kirpans?! You can open carry an M16 but people have a **** over carrying a kirpan. Absolutely ludicrous.
              You are talking nonsense here or in you're words "bullshit"
              Yes, you can order a handgun by mail, but it is sent to a federally licensed dealer where you can pick it up after undergoing a criminal background check with the FBI and passing it, that's in every State.

Those dumb ass stand your ground laws are mainly for home invasions and assaults on you person or family when you are in your home, in other words you can legally defend yourself unless you decide to be a victim and cower in the corner.

No, you can't open carry an M16 and yes you can open carry an AR15 depending on what State you live in, in some States, if you can even own one of those they must be registered with the State and you certainly can't open carry them.
              You are painting our country with a broad brush just to make your point.
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                I agree.

See my post below.

Exactly, if you sign on the dotted line, you have to play by their rules, your civilian rules are in the rear view mirror, been there, done that.

If you want to dance to the music you have to pay to the piper!

The top Picture is from a Hollywood Movie, the middle one I don't know about, in the bottom picture the old coot on the left wearing the 18th ABN Corps combat patch is probably long retired same with the one on the right and can wear anything they want and I am willing to bet the didn't ware them when they were active and the kid in the middle is definitely not wearing a US Army uniform judging by the insignia.
                You could be right about the top one. Checking it out I think it's from a Who Killed Bin laden 'documentary.' I'll give you some Canadian troops with beards in exchange.

Comment

As an interesting note to all this: Shaving and improved, faster methods of doing so became very popular and in demand during WW 1 because of chemical warfare. Up to that point in history beards and facial hair were very common for men.

Comment

Interesting quotes from Harjit Sajjan.
                    Someone asked me why don’t you just cut your hair because it would be so much easier for you to wear a helmet and wear the gas mask and I said ‘Yeah it would be easier but I said if I gave this up now, how could you trust me later on. How can you trust me in combat if am willing to give up something I believe in so easily?'
                    "It’s ironic,” he says. “There I was advising the top generals, and the U.S. army doesn’t allow Sikhs (in turbans) to join.”

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      As an interesting note to all this: Shaving and improved, faster methods of doing so became very popular and in demand during WW 1 because of chemical warfare. Up to that point in history beards and facial hair were very common for men.
                      A hundred years after the Second Battle of Ypres and we still haven't developed a gas mask for bearded men that will work in field conditions....

Comment

A hundred years after the Second Battle of Ypres and we still haven't developed a gas mask for bearded men that will work in field conditions....
                        They'll get to it right after the F-35 is completed for sure.

Comment

They'll get to it right after the F-35 is completed for sure.
                          At least the F-35 is flying..........and that my friend isn't BS.

Comment

At least the F-35 is flying..........and that my friend isn't BS.
                            Yup, a delayed over budget system that doesn't work designed for a problem that doesn't exist. Dump it and buy three gas masks for the three Sikhs in the U.S. military.

Comment

Yup, a delayed over budget system that doesn't work designed for a problem that doesn't exist. Dump it and buy three gas masks for the three Sikhs in the U.S. military.

Again, at least it is flying...

You still have yet to prove that there is a beard friendly gas mask, you were quick to call BS to other forum members about this.

The three Sikhs in the U.S. military have gas mask, why should we buy additional ones for them?

Comment

Okay a special exemption for religious people. Now do we allow dreadlocks? Poking smot on the flight line? You have to draw the line somewhere. Where's it gonna be? At my objections? Yours? Let's say I do a L Ron Hubbard and make a religion of... (oh think of something totally silly.) beans. You must have 'fresh' beans at all times. Not 24 hour old beans, they 'must' be 8-12 hours old or you violate the faith.

Now my new found converts demand to join up and expect fresh beans to be issued...

Get my drift? Btw a truly insane and hilarious religion is the church of the sub-genius. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius
                                Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X