Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N.Y. AG declares DraftKings, FanDuel illegal gambling, not fantasy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • N.Y. AG declares DraftKings, FanDuel illegal gambling, not fantasy

    The Ny state AG is trying to ban Draft Kings and Fanduel. This is clearly going to be a move that negatively effects folks who currently rely on an income from Fanduel. For the American out there in NY who earns money from studying player trends...is going to possibly have to find a new source of income. Maybe turn to illegal drug dealing, I mean what are these fan duel folks suppose to do once they lose their fan duel. Obv many of the fanduel folks compete casually, but make no mistake others compete for a living and these folks ought to be able to compete if they want to compete IMO.



    New York attorney general Eric Schneiderman declared Tuesday that daily fantasy sports constitute illegal gambling in his state, and he sent game operators DraftKings and FanDuel cease-and-desist notices in a significant blow to the embattled, billion-dollar industry.

    Schneiderman demanded DraftKings and FanDuel, the two industry giants, stop accepting "wagers" from New York residents. He is not, at this point, asking the companies to discontinue operations in the state.


    http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/...ports-gambling

    According to a law expert on ESPN this morning, the UIGEA act of 2006 termed fantasy(like fantasy football) as a game of skill as opposed to chance. So hopefully the pro fanduel folks can hop on the game of skill argument. Either way, folks ought be allowed to bet on fanduel games if they want to. I mean whats next, some law comes forth saying that folks can not open up a restaurant because there are to many risks involved?

  • #2
    Note the heavy advertising claiming a minimal "Investment" on popular talk radio and TV shows lately?

    Like gambling, for every person that wins in Fanduel and similar sites, several others lose money that they could ill afford to spend.

    Such sites are exploiting a loophole where people can gamble unlimited sums of money without having to go to the Indian Casinos in their state, Las Vegas, throw it away on the lottery, or blow it all on some illegal betting ring.
    “Breaking News,”

    “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

    Comment


    • #3
      It's a good thing that the US Attorney is prosecuting all the corrupt Albany politicians so that the NYS AG's time can be freed to go after Draft Kings.
      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
        It's a good thing that the US Attorney is prosecuting all the corrupt Albany politicians so that the NYS AG's time can be freed to go after Draft Kings.
        ... so that the NYS AG's time can be freed to go after Draft Kings and Freedom of Speech.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
          Note the heavy advertising claiming a minimal "Investment" on popular talk radio and TV shows lately?

          Like gambling, for every person that wins in Fanduel and similar sites, several others lose money that they could ill afford to spend.

          Such sites are exploiting a loophole where people can gamble unlimited sums of money without having to go to the Indian Casinos in their state, Las Vegas, throw it away on the lottery, or blow it all on some illegal betting ring.
          Firstly gambling has numerous types of definitions. There is a very good argument to be made that fanduel does not fall under the category of gambling..gambling in the sense of for example placing 50$ on red and hoping the roulette wheel lands on red. There is cleary a massive difference between tossing 50$ on the roulette wheel, tossing 50$ on your fav football team for fun when compared to taking the time to study player trends and then putting 50$ on the fanduel site.

          If fanduel falls under the category of gambling then by that definition your essentially gambling when you decide to take a risk and open up a restaurant. If your restaurant is not selling enough dinners, where as the restaurant up the street is having success..well then there is a good chance your restaurant will close.

          Las Vegas is a true American city...Nevada is a state that respects what our founding fathers envisioned. In Las Vegas the right to place a so called bet is honored.

          I agree Ron that we ought to have more non Indian casinos in the USA. Thats not to take away from the Tribes, these folks do very well with some of there casinos. And hey thats business for you, I commend folks who have success in a legit business.
          Last edited by Taieb el-Okbi; 11 Nov 15, 14:57. Reason: fixed a typo

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey TeO... much of the problem so far is that there is some insider 'cheating' going on too. Certain people on the sites have information not available to others and have won massive amounts of money.
            The advertisements are also misleading in a way IMO.

            You know I am a giant sports/fantasy guy ... but I don't play these one-day fantasy games at all. In fact I don't usually play fantasy at all for money... I get too up-tight with the games. I just enjoy winning and a little smack talking plus I enjoy the comraderie (especially here).

            There are similarities with gambling:
            The best players need very much study of the game to do well/ok.

            The winners are usually involved in many, many games. Like 100s to cover their chances of winning. It would be like covering all the numbers on the Roulet Wheel.

            There is luck involved... because most everybody will have the same 'best' players for the price. The ones that 'win' each day are the ones that get lucky on a fringe price player (longshot) that the others don't pick.

            You have to spend money to win money.

            Regarding the Tribal Casinos... that is about their only way to make money.
            If they are everywhere the Tribal ones will not draw enough people for them to survive/make money.
            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              It's a good thing that the US Attorney is prosecuting all the corrupt Albany politicians so that the NYS AG's time can be freed to go after Draft Kings.
              Yeah...20 million illegals, most of them with criminal histories, and a lot of them with cartel connections but he's going after the REAL danger to America - FanDuel and Draft Kings.

              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Yeah...20 million illegals, most of them with criminal histories, and a lot of them with cartel connections but he's going after the REAL danger to America - FanDuel and Draft Kings.

                What does the NEW YORK attorney general have to do with enforcing Federal laws?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                  What does the NEW YORK attorney general have to do with enforcing Federal laws?
                  How many illegal aliens in New York?

                  How many involved with crime, prostitution and drugs?

                  Are you aware at all that Federal laws trump state and city laws?


                  Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    How many illegal aliens in New York?

                    How many involved with crime, prostitution and drugs?

                    Are you aware at all that Federal laws trump state and city laws?


                    Gotta agree with John: some of that falls within the purview of the county district attorneys, and some within Federal purview -- and since Arizona v United States, few will be the state attorneys general willing to step on Federal toes.

                    No, what Schneiderman is doing is far worse.

                    Other states have plenty of corruption, but it’s hard to beat New York when it comes to sheer volume. The criminal complaint Monday against Dean Skelos, the state Senate majority leader, and his son Adam came just three months after charges were brought against Sheldon Silver, then the Assembly Speaker. Having the top leaders in both chambers face criminal charges in the same session is an unparalleled achievement, but Skelos is now the fifth straight Senate majority leader in Albany to face them.

                    "Congratulations, New York, You’re #1 in Corruption: How the Empire State created such a toxic (and criminal) political culture," by Alan Greenblatt, Politico-dot-com, 5 May 2015
                    That was on the heels of his predecessor's conviction.

                    A federal judge on Wednesday sentenced Malcolm Smith to seven years in prison, saying the former state Senate majority leader corrupted the political process by trying to buy his way onto the ballot in a crooked bid to become mayor of New York City.

                    No amount of good deeds, not Smith’s community advocacy, church leadership or political authority, were enough to offset his attempts to pollute the process, said Judge Kenneth Karas, who chided the once-powerful Smith for violating the public’s trust.

                    "Malcolm Smith sentenced to 7 years in prison," by Priscilla DeGregory and Leonard Greene, New York Post, 1 Jul 2015
                    I can't locate it now, but I'd read about a year ago that at least ten NYS senators and a greater number of assemblymen were at that time either convicted of or charged with official misconduct. None of these prosecutions have been pursued by the State's highest law enforcement official: Attorney General Eric Schneiderman. All have been prosecuted by US Attorneys, either in Brooklyn, Manhattan, or Albany. What kinds of cases has Schneiderman pursued, while his Federal counterparts have taken a rake to Albany?

                    - sexuality discrimination within major League Baseball



                    -"astroturfing," defined as "soliciting and posting fake [on-line] reviews";

                    -going after herbal supplements.

                    I'm sure these are worthwhile pursuits for a state attorney general, but the utter absence of Albany figures from his list of "accomplishments" leads this observer to believe that, like his predecessor Eliot Spitzer, Schneiderman goes after what attracts cameras and headlines -- and avoids genuine political conflict with powerful and entrenched figures. For reasons that I cannot possibly fathom, Albany has expressed absolutely no shame in their continuing refusal to police their own. Scneiderman's antics are just part and parcel of that failing.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                      Hey TeO... much of the problem so far is that there is some insider 'cheating' going on too. Certain people on the sites have information not available to others and have won massive amounts of money.
                      The advertisements are also misleading in a way IMO.

                      You know I am a giant sports/fantasy guy ... but I don't play these one-day fantasy games at all. In fact I don't usually play fantasy at all for money... I get too up-tight with the games. I just enjoy winning and a little smack talking plus I enjoy the comraderie (especially here).

                      There are similarities with gambling:
                      The best players need very much study of the game to do well/ok.

                      The winners are usually involved in many, many games. Like 100s to cover their chances of winning. It would be like covering all the numbers on the Roulet Wheel.

                      There is luck involved... because most everybody will have the same 'best' players for the price. The ones that 'win' each day are the ones that get lucky on a fringe price player (longshot) that the others don't pick.

                      You have to spend money to win money.

                      Regarding the Tribal Casinos... that is about their only way to make money.
                      If they are everywhere the Tribal ones will not draw enough people for them to survive/make money.
                      I have heard of the Fanduel employees whom have been betting on the games. That being said, the edge that these insiders get is not that much of an edge...still its an edge and a system ought be put in place that would make it difficult for fanduel employees to be able to access the starting lineups of folks.

                      And oh yes, there is without a doubt luck involved in sports related competitions. Whether its real life sports or a fantasy league there is luck involved. Irt baseball you might have the wind help to carry a ball out of the park for a home run...which in turn will effect the folks betting on the game. Also there are injuries as well as days when all stars will have a bad day.

                      I have no experience with fanduel or draftkings...minor exp in fantasy football and a decent level of experience in Sports betting. I can tell you this much dgfred, there is a big difference between sports betting when compared to fanduel. As you talk about with fanduel, folks are picking individual players from different teams where as in sports betting you are generally picking a team to win(point spread and money line) or the over/under. With both fanduel and sports-betting your going to have folks who bet irresponsibly and win/lose, your going to have folks who bet responsibly and win/lose, and your going to have professional fanduel bettors and professional sports bettors.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        A big donation to the Democrat party would probably make this go away...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          A big donation to the Democrat party would probably make this go away...
                          This has nothing to do with that, but of course it's the first thing you bring up.
                          First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What really pisses me off is the handling of on-line poker. Poker is a skill but try and tell some idiots that it is. At least California got it right. What me sticking up for California, guess I do need that psychiatrists visit
                            Too Much To Do Too Little Time

                            Comment

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X