Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School has sure changed! Not for the better..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
    You have time management skills in the U.S.A. right?
    Do you have any class in what ever craphouse you crawled out of?
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Rule #1 of the internet-- don't get into a pissing contest with a moderator...

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
        Rule #1 of the internet-- don't get into a pissing contest with a moderator...
        Rule #2, have some class,
        Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Hm... I probably shouldn't mention that although 5x3, 5+5+5, 3+3+3+3+3, 60/4, and 15 are all equal, only two of them are equivalent.
          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Hm... I probably shouldn't mention that although 5x3, 5+5+5, 3+3+3+3+3, 60/4, and 15 are all equal, only two of them are equivalent.
            Are you familiar with Common Core?
            We have to fight with the school districts to get them to teach cursive writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              We have to fight with the school districts to get them to teach cursive writing.
              Because cursive is worthless and rarely used now?
              First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Maybe this is just a rant, I think of it as an observation,
                My 13 year old grandson is spending the night and while I am posting this he is doing his school assignment that is due Thursday.
                His assignment is to write three paragraphs on the Renaissance.
                Sounds simple huh?
                He can not use the Internet. Simple you say, just use his textbook, right?
                Well, here is the problem, they don't have textbooks!
                All he has is a notebook computer!
                But he can't use the Internet!
                Here is the other part of my dismay,
                Common Core,
                Question, what is 5X3?
                If you answered 15 you are wrong.
                According to Common Core the answer is
                3+3+3+3+3=15!
                When was the homework set? If it was, and I would be very surprised if it were, not the night before why did someone not take him to a library and get some books. Or why did he not use the school library, if it has one, to find the material?

As for the 5 X 3 the answer 15 is not wrong, the disagreement has been over the method used.
                "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Nope. But I'm familiar with math. Mathematics tells us cool things like 5x3 and 3x5 are equal but not equivalent. I assume that the lesson you post about in your o.p. has something to do with this concept.

Comment

According to Common Core the answer is
                    3+3+3+3+3=15!
                    That requires knowledge that 3+3=6 and so forth,

(1+1+1)+(1+1+1)+(1+1+1)+(1+1+1)+(1+1+1) = 15

It'll be a while 'till you land someone on the moon again

As for the renaissance - that may have been a summary of something taught in class that day ?
                    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                      When was the homework set? If it was, and I would be very surprised if it were, not the night before why did someone not take him to a library and get some books. Or why did he not use the school library, if it has one, to find the material?

As for the 5 X 3 the answer 15 is not wrong, the disagreement has been over the method used.
                      The assignment was given at 3:30 on Nov. 10.
                      The library is closed on Nov. 11,. But you seem to miss the point.
                      They do not have textbooks to study. They use online books.
                      But the assignment was to write the essay without internet sources.
                      My point being that without textbooks, and when the library is closed what other source is there?
                      As for the math question, the answer is always going to be the same, 15.
                      Does nobody use cursive anymore? I do.

Comment

It reminds of the joke about the man who says 'my school has changed for the better'.

He is asked why, he replies 'they have knocked it down.'
                        War is less costly than servitude

Comment

My brother in law and I were just talking about our grandkids the other day and about how smart they are. The one thing we both agreed on is that kids are being taught to think mathematically and envision numbers and problems in their heads. We both recognize that his 5th grader and my 8th grader are far in advance of where we were at those ages, mathematically speaking. I doubt that I could do 8th grade math now and I do indeed think that I am dumber than a 5th grader.

My engineer son once told me that he could think in numbers when he was in college, now the grade-schoolers are being taught to think that way. It does not make sense to want to hold our kids back just because they are being taught a different way to do math than we were taught or because we don’t understand it. We ought to be thankful that they will be more capable in math than we are. And they are so computer literate! My girl grands fixed my computer a couple of times when I was having problems.

There is nothing wrong with being taught a different way. My daughter in law used to bring home math workbooks from Singapore (Singapore math methods are a basis of Common Core math) every year to give her kids more math work than they got in school (15 minutes) each evening, since their schools did not teach Singapore math. It certainly did not hurt them mathematically. They test in the top 1% in their state and the eldest (a high school senior) has superb SAT scores.

RE: Cursive—well if all of the computers in the world crash at the same time, maybe Cursive might have a use, but it is unlikely. All of my grands can print quite nicely, but they are all fantastic keyboarders. Even if all of the computers would die, and someone brought back typewriters, they would do quite well. The only problem that I see with not doing cursive, as a genealogist, is that they may not ever be able to pursue a hobby that I love because they may not be able to read old handwriting—but sometimes I have that problem anyway.

SUV Ron: Re: robotic thinking. If our brains are just computers, then why not use them as such? Better to be able to calculate in its interior than to have to use external aids like a pen and paper (or fingers and toes).
                          Homo homini lupus

Comment

As for the math question, the answer is always going to be the same, 15.
                            Does nobody use cursive anymore? I do.
                            Get thirty pennies. On your left make five groups of three pennies each. On your right make three groups of five pennies each. There are 15 pennies on both your left and right yes - but do you see any differences between the fifteen pennies on your left and the fifteen pennies on your right? I'm guessing that this lesson is trying to teach a concept and reasoning skills - rather than how to puke up an answer without understanding it. Next thing you know they'll be trying to teach about U.S. history beyond 'them bad, us good.' Boggles the mind don't it?..

As to the book issue. The kid had 3.5 hours to get to the community library. Or he could have gone straight to the school library. Or he could have asked his teacher if referencing his online textbook was ok. Or he could go to a bookstore. Or if there was a lesson calendar the kid could have planned ahead. Or... since you are posting on a history site perhaps you have some books or magazines with enough material for a 13 year old to write three paragraphs. Or it can be pointed out to the teacher that access to material was limited and outside his control so could the expectations be changed please. Assuming the kid's parents have a good interest in his education they could have supported him with any of these things. The child's education is worth a little effort to overcome this small obstacle for god's sake.

"But it's the teacher's fault."
                            You could be correct. Tough ****. Suck it up and do the work. The child is worth the effort.
                            Last edited by Duncan; 12 Nov 15, 13:32.

Comment

. Next thing you know they'll be trying to teach about U.S. history beyond 'them bad, us good.' Boggles the mind don't it?..
                              It should, teacher these days use hitory lessons to teach that America is evil and wrong and must be torn down and re-made anew becuase everyone else on Earth is better than we are.
                              Where have you been for the last 20 years? I can cover this whole page with testimonials to back me up.
                              So, sorry, but you guys have won already, but as always Everything is not Enough.

Or it can be pointed out to the teacher that access to material was limited and outside his control so could the expectations be changed please.

Yeah, buy all means, try THAT and see what you get!
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                                It should, teacher these days use hitory lessons to teach that America is evil and wrong and must be torn down and re-made anew becuase everyone else on Earth is better than we are.
                                Where have you been for the last 20 years? I can cover this whole page with testimonials to back me up.
                                The one common problem I see is blaming of the teacher rather than being an engaged parent involved in your children's education.

Yeah, buy all means, try THAT and see what you get!
                                Well, for those children and parents unable to form a working relationship with their educators - this was only one of many options I mentioned. I'm sure folks can come up with others as well.

Basically it comes down to, quit whining and get 'er done.
                                Last edited by Duncan; 12 Nov 15, 17:24.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X