Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School has sure changed! Not for the better..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School has sure changed! Not for the better..

Maybe this is just a rant, I think of it as an observation,
    My 13 year old grandson is spending the night and while I am posting this he is doing his school assignment that is due Thursday.
    His assignment is to write three paragraphs on the Renaissance.
    Sounds simple huh?
    He can not use the Internet. Simple you say, just use his textbook, right?
    Well, here is the problem, they don't have textbooks!
    All he has is a notebook computer!
    But he can't use the Internet!
    Here is the other part of my dismay,
    Common Core,
    Question, what is 5X3?
    If you answered 15 you are wrong.
    According to Common Core the answer is
    3+3+3+3+3=15!
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

When I was in college I took astronomy as an "easy" elective. I thought it would be fun... (this is after having chemistry, organic chemistry, geology, physics, etc...)

So, I was in a class with like 60+ almost entirely liberal arts majors dreading the class as their "hard" science class.

Digressing, the prof figured me out and made, well, forced, me to be a defacto TA for the class or I'd get a sucky grade...

Anyway, one of our homework assignments was to figure out the age of the Earth from the half life of uranium. The next class everyone was in a thither. Seems no one other than me had done this problem as the textbook for the course didn't have the half life of uranium listed in it...

The prof asked how I did the problem. "Chart of the nuclides" I replied holding up my copy of the "important" parts of it. Admittedly, I didn't even think for a second to look anywhere else. It was like using a periodic table in chemistry or a book of calculus solutions for hard formulas in my view.

My point here is that in a class of close to 100 college students only one person in the class had the whatever it takes to think through a solution to a problem beyond being spoon fed it.

As for common core the answer to 3 x 5 = 15 is

• • • = ‰

Comment

You have libraries in the USA right?
      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post

3+3+3+3+3=15!
        Which is the way a digital computer, robots, would calculates the answer.

Progressives, along with the teacher's unions, have turned the public schools into babysitting failures, where classrooms are zoos of unruly students being brainwashed with the propaganda of Global Warming and multiculturalism. Progressive lawyers have completed this failure by suing over every type of accidental injuries, bullying, all efforts to discipline the unruly student, and to collect a lottery jackpot for the parents who's kid can do no wrong.

And, Common core? Just another scheme to make the Progressives developers of this crap filthy rich off the taxpayers and turn students into the worker bees for the collective of a worldwide sustainable society of UN Agenda 21.

Do the web search.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Welcome to America - the Land of the Marching Morons Drill Team.

(They only march in one direction and never change cadence so as to avoid mistakes and loss of personal esteem...and they don't really march because that's kind of hard...they just walk together but they do dress alike, sort of.)

I'm sure glad I grew up and went to school in the real America.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
            3+3+3+3+3=15!
            Actually it's 11+11+11+11+11=1111.

In a binary system.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post

Progressives, along with the teacher's unions, have turned the public schools into babysitting failures, where classrooms are zoos of unruly students being brainwashed with the propaganda of Global Warming and multiculturalism. Progressive lawyers have completed this failure by suing over every type of accidental injuries, bullying, all efforts to discipline the unruly student, and to collect a lottery jackpot for the parents who's kid can do no wrong.

And, Common core? Just another scheme to make the Progressives developers of this crap filthy rich off the taxpayers and turn students into the worker bees for the collective of a worldwide sustainable society of UN Agenda 21.

Do the web search.
              drone, drone, drone, drone, drone, ad infinitum...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Welcome to America - the Land of the Marching Morons Drill Team.

(They only march in one direction and never change cadence so as to avoid mistakes and loss of personal esteem...and they don't really march because that's kind of hard...they just walk together but they do dress alike, sort of.)

I'm sure glad I grew up and went to school in the real America.

Counter column..... March!
                "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Next up:

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                    You have libraries in the USA right?
                    Not open after 7:00pm
                    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
                    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                      Counter column..... March!
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

NY Public Library's Main Branch -- the big one on 42nd Street with the lions out front, is open to 8 on weekedays, and the Mid-Manhattan branch caddy-corner across Fifth Avenue is open until 11 Mon-Thu. I was one of the few people I knew who looked forward to research projects when I was in high school: after knocking out my work, I'd loose myself for hours on end in there. It was better than the internet, at least to a poor kid back in those days.

Comment

You have time management skills in the U.S.A. right?
                          AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                          The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            NY Public Library's Main Branch -- the big one on 42nd Street with the lions out front, is open to 8 on weekedays, and the Mid-Manhattan branch caddy-corner across Fifth Avenue is open until 11 Mon-Thu. I was one of the few people I knew who looked forward to research projects when I was in high school: after knocking out my work, I'd loose myself for hours on end in there. It was better than the internet, at least to a poor kid back in those days.
                            I know the feeling. Phoenix has some big ones. I used to go to the big five floor main branch. Row upon row of books with a big fifth floor panoramic window view you could sit next to.

Damn I miss having big libraries. The one downside to small townsville is you're stuck with the tiny libraries and naught but interlibrary loan and Amazon to quell your needs.
                            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                              I know the feeling. Phoenix has some big ones. I used to go to the big five floor main branch. Row upon row of books with a big fifth floor panoramic window view you could sit next to.

Damn I miss having big libraries. The one downside to small townsville is you're stuck with the tiny libraries and naught but interlibrary loan and Amazon to quell your needs.
                              The small local libraries I exhausted by the time I was in the fifth grade. Back in the day, the Mid-Manhattan sported such gems as George Orwell's unfinished biography of Vladimir Lenin. Can't even find reference to it on the internet these days.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X