List of demands from Concerned Student 1950 group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...on-lies-111115

Well apparently Mr. Butler, the ringleader of the protests, father made $7 million dollars last year. Yet Mr. Butler was upset because MU was going to increase health care costs for grad students. Mr. Butler has been on the MU campus for 8 years. If it's that racist and oppressive on the MU campus, Mr. Butler must be a real glutton for punishment. And, last but not least, Mr. Butler is, apparently, the campus liaison to the Missouri National Guard and Missouri State Police. At least that's what one would conclude from his twitter posts.

Comment

Oh, boy. One of the boys arrested was a student at the University in the U of Missouri system that my son graduated from and graduated from the High School I did. He is from the next town over. The paper says that he was a really bright kid when he was in high school, going all the way to a robotics competition finals contest in California. Suburban idiot is my judgment. I feel a great deal of sorrow for his parents. The other boy arrested in Western Missouri is another idiot from the Kansas City suburbs, attending a public university in that part of the state. One of the articles says that they could be subject to 7 years prison terms. So they may be taking college classes in prison next and learning to live in close contact with folks of other races and all because they trusted the anonymity of Yik Yak. This is just a very good reminder that there is no anonymity on Social Media. If the Law wants to find you they will find you.

The shocking thing is these boys are not Hill Billy Rednecks but boys from middle class suburbs, just exhibiting their privilege maybe, or their fear of students of color within the higher ed system. (Although, I guess I should not be too surprised. I live in a town where some idiot challenged an idiot in Ferguson during last yearís riots, to come on out to the Wal-Mart in town for a confrontation. The police took it seriously enough that they put a large presence on the Wal-Mart parking lot for the next few nights.)

In the meantime my college attending grand-daughter in Massachusetts is posting that she is standing in solidarity with the Mizzou students of color. She is the product of a city high school in Chicago and has a very diverse set of friends.

There are some very interesting divisions here. I can only sit back and wonder at it all. For sure itís not like it was in the 1960s when the police were setting police dogs and turning water cannons on black demonstrators. The thought occurs to me that this more like a testosterone contest between the races, with the white folks being less knowledgeable about using the media than the blacks.

And that is another striking image from the student confrontation with the student journalists this week. How they all, white and black, ganged up on the Asian kid with the camera, but seemingly let the white boy with the video camera just blatantly record away until he broke away and got really close to the tents. Was that more racism? And itís sad because the Asian reporter last year won a student press photography prize and scholarship with a very sympathetic picture of Michael Brownís mother with a tear rolling down her cheek.

I don't think I have totally made up my mind about the whole situation except I do think that there was some anti-Asian racism on the part of the blacks and the white students.
      Last edited by Jannie; 12 Nov 15, 10:07.
      Homo homini lupus

Comment

I agree it's a confusing mess, and I do blame MU for a large part of it. The university didn't participate in any of the racist incidents, and in fact when they had info about who perpetrated one of the incidents they took action against him. They had no reason to feel that their response wasn't appropriate other than the fact that the Black Lives Matter group told them it wasn't. I think they should have respectfully ignored the protests, the call for Wolfe to step down, and when the football players said they wouldn't play they should have started pulling scholarships. I don't think it was right for MU to cave in so completely and quickly because they set a precedent now that any time some small special-interest group wants someone removed they just need to threaten and complain loudly enough and they can get people removed. I live in Columbia and honestly there's nothing about this whole mess that's positive in any way that I can think of...everyone loses in this situation. The only possible winner is the grad student Butler who comes from a rich family yet thinks that skin color gives someone privilege that his family's millions of dollars do not. He wins because now he's famous, which I believe was his goal, and he has positioned himself to have a career as an activist.
        The crazy part to me is that in any small town with 30,000 residents there are bound to be a few isolated incidents of racism, just as there were on the MU campus over the last few years. These incidents wouldn't have people calling for the mayor to step down, they'd be understood that they are racist incidents done by individuals and not supported by the rest of the community. The idea that anyone would expect the town's leaders to resign because some redneck yelled the n-word at someone on the street would never be proposed. The MU campus has about that many students and under the same circumstances the president and chancellor ended up on the street.

Comment

The people who were caught and arrested are not "redneck hillbillies". They're whit suburban males. People on this thread keep trying to blame it on outlying groups, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
          First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
            I agree it's a confusing mess, and I do blame MU for a large part of it. The university didn't participate in any of the racist incidents, and in fact when they had info about who perpetrated one of the incidents they took action against him. They had no reason to feel that their response wasn't appropriate other than the fact that the Black Lives Matter group told them it wasn't. I think they should have respectfully ignored the protests, the call for Wolfe to step down, and when the football players said they wouldn't play they should have started pulling scholarships. I don't think it was right for MU to cave in so completely and quickly because they set a precedent now that any time some small special-interest group wants someone removed they just need to threaten and complain loudly enough and they can get people removed. I live in Columbia and honestly there's nothing about this whole mess that's positive in any way that I can think of...everyone loses in this situation. The only possible winner is the grad student Butler who comes from a rich family yet thinks that skin color gives someone privilege that his family's millions of dollars do not. He wins because now he's famous, which I believe was his goal, and he has positioned himself to have a career as an activist.
            The crazy part to me is that in any small town with 30,000 residents there are bound to be a few isolated incidents of racism, just as there were on the MU campus over the last few years. These incidents wouldn't have people calling for the mayor to step down, they'd be understood that they are racist incidents done by individuals and not supported by the rest of the community. The idea that anyone would expect the town's leaders to resign because some redneck yelled the n-word at someone on the street would never be proposed. The MU campus has about that many students and under the same circumstances the president and chancellor ended up on the street.
            I think you've gotten to something there. Butler is in his 8th year at Mizzou. So he must be coming up on the end of his school days. Now he has to worry about getting a real job. One of their grievances was a demand for more minority professors. How much you want to bet that Butler ends up being one of those new minority professors that they hire? I see Mr. Butler being the new director of tolerance and African studies, or something akin to that, in the near future. Beats having to try to get a real job with his otherwise worthless degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
              What I have "heard", amidst all the hoopla, is the "fact" that there were SOME calling out of racial remarks AND an instance of painting a Nazi Party symbol on a wall (or was that a building?).

The first is one of those deplorable things, the second confuses me. Why would the Blacks get upset by a Nazi Party symbol? The Jews, perhaps, but not the Blacks.

Oh well, never let a good riot point go unused!

At any rate, that's ALL? Is that any reason to upset a college? To make a College Administrator quit?

SOME folks are going to have to grow thicker skin..... or they are never going to exist in a free speech country.

Leave it to the MSM to make a (racial) mountain out of a molehill.

GG
              Leaving aside the history of black people in Nazi Germany, you do not have to be from a specific group to be upset by or dislike the Swastika.

'The blacks' included might not like it - you do realise that not all black people are the same right?.
              "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
              G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
              Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

You know what I would like to see?
                PROOF of all these terrible instances of racism that are apparently rampant all over this campus.
                Where are the YouTube vids? Is there a picture of that swastica, anywhere? Do far, they only have one proven, and that's not much.
                I dunno, they want to turn the country upside down for this, but talk about deporting illegals and they say its just too inconvenient.

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                'The blacks' included might not like it - you do realise that not all black people are the same right?.
                Dr. Ben Cason certainly does. I'd say the only thing he has in common with this Butler guy is the ability to speak english.
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                  You know what I would like to see?
                  PROOF of all these terrible instances of racism that are apparently rampant all over this campus.
                  Where are the YouTube vids? Is there a picture of that swastica, anywhere? Do far, they only have one proven, and that's not much.
                  I dunno, they want to turn the country upside down for this, but talk about deporting illegals and they say its just too inconvenient.
                  Much of this comes from classes where the prof uses crap research and texts like this one as "proof" of rampant racism on university campuses:

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Faced-Raci.../dp/0415954762

The centerpiece of this book is the two academics Joe Feagin and Leslie Picca
                  had 626 students at 28 universities keep a journal where they recorded any and all incidents of "racism" they encountered.

These students claimed over 9,000 incidents with about 7,500 being blatant.

This looks bad until...

There was no standards or controls on what constituted a "racist" event. The events were not given context.

Then comes the math...

This averages out to about 14 to 15 events per student in the study. About 12 of those events were considered blatant.
                  The students kept the journals over a semester of about 100 days, give or take. This averages out to them encountering less than one act they considered racist by someone in any context or location they happened to be. That means they could have encountered something at a local restaurant, something in a magazine, on other media, whatever. There were no controls on where an event might occur or be recorded.
                  The students were not supervised during the study in any way either.

But, yet, this crap research is taken at face value on universities across the country as being proof that racism is rampant. This sort of quack, quasi-research is frequently trotted out by Leftists as "proof" of something they want to believe in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X