Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose50
    replied
    SO, let's see...maybe the football coach has a rule saying that if you don't make it to practice and you don't have a doctor's note or a damn good reason for missing practice then you are off the team. If you're off the team then your sports scholarship is forfeited, your grades are held to a higher standard and they take away your free food privileges. Then you'll have plenty of time to stage protests, sit-ins, compose demands, what have you. Sounds fair.

Leave a comment:

• Cambronnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Martok View Post
    I was looking at a few news articles concerning this story, and the gist of what I found is someone said the N-word was used and a portion of the student body didn't think the President acted fast enough to cut off the offenders head, whoever that offender may have been, regardless if the incident actually occurred.
    this is the same impression that I have gotten.
    That one or two students said something mean to other students.
    It is amazing that the protestors not only think that this warrants that they essentially be given control of the school, but that the media seems to be taking them seriously.
    I have seen a number of news reports on this farce and none of them provided any context as to the cause of the complaints. They merely refer to "racial incidents".

I am kind of hoping that the school caves to their demands so we can see the consequences of that sort of pandering.

Leave a comment:

• Savez
    replied
    Originally posted by phil74501 View Post
    The football players are saying that they will not play again unless their demands are met. I say yank their scholarships and make them pay for the schooling themselves. Or let them transfer to some DIII school and enjoy traveling in vans, instead of airplanes, to every game.
    Their football team is garbage this year anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Savez
    replied
    Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
    I got a demand...do away with college sports. Watch what happen, cost of going to school goes down, grades go up. Cut out all the cost for transportation, uniforms, and equipment, same for the band and cheerleaders, building and maintenance of huge facilities that go unused for most of the year.
    You obviously have no idea how much college sports brings in for a University.

Leave a comment:

• Savez
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
    I have always been of the opinion that the intellectual community is a particularly ill mannered den of backstabbing, politicizing. ladder climbers. Colleges are their jungle.

If only the politically correct crowd had an inkling of the importance of conducting one's self as a gentleman or lady. There are ways to discuss issue that don't demean the process but are still effective. The current generation of activist seem to have forgotten that Martin Luther King was so effective because he made the other side look bad.

The unvarnished truth is often just a stage for venting the frustration of being irrelevant. The critical element our educational process fails to impart is the importance of self control and patient labor.
    The problem they have is that "the other side" isn't really bad anymore. Its just hypersensitivity and entitlement are rampant in today's society.

Leave a comment:

• SRV Ron
    replied
    We had similar crap at the local collage in 1972. A group of special scholarship students, translated, a group of Black underachievers from Detroit given a special Government Affirmative Action scholarship, launched a sit in protest in the Dean's office after most of them ended up on academic probation due to poor grades. Their demands, lower the minimum graduation standards to D from C.

This was also the years that busing was being forced on school districts in order to balance the racial makeup of the public schools.

I don't know if the collage bowed to that demand or not as it was my last year there.

Leave a comment:

• The Doctor
    replied
    I have always been of the opinion that the intellectual community is a particularly ill mannered den of backstabbing, politicizing. ladder climbers. Colleges are their jungle.
    Colleges are their jungle gyms.

Originally posted by wolfhnd
    If only the politically correct crowd had an inkling of the importance of conducting one's self as a gentleman or lady. There are ways to discuss issue that don't demean the process but are still effective. The current generation of activist seem to have forgotten that Martin Luther King was so effective because he made the other side look bad.

The unvarnished truth is often just a stage for venting the frustration of being irrelevant. The critical element our educational process fails to impart is the importance of self control and patient labor.
    Otherwise...

Leave a comment:

• Half Pint John
    replied
    I got a demand...do away with college sports. Watch what happen, cost of going to school goes down, grades go up. Cut out all the cost for transportation, uniforms, and equipment, same for the band and cheerleaders, building and maintenance of huge facilities that go unused for most of the year.

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Martok
    replied
    I was looking at a few news articles concerning this story, and the gist of what I found is someone said the N-word was used and a portion of the student body didn't think the President acted fast enough to cut off the offenders head, whoever that offender may have been, regardless if the incident actually occurred.

Leave a comment:

• Nichols
    replied
    While I'm sure that almost every black person in America has been discriminated against they are not alone. Discrimination is universal and afflicts the fat, the ugly, the short, the tall, the near sighted, those with unusual voices, and a host of other attributes people cannot control. Since the worst aspect or at least the most obvious aspects of racial discrimination have been overcome blacks are now just one minority amongst hundreds of groups that are discriminated against.
    You forgot white immigrants, affirmative action discriminates against them more than 'African' Americans.

Leave a comment:

• Grognard Gunny
    replied
    You forgot "Sports Management", consisting mostly of making sure one goes to the practice field on time.

GG

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Someone tell these "students" that Missouri was on the Union side of the Civil War. This is not Alabama or Georgia.

On the other side of the coin, some major Football powers create programs that Athletes can pass with less work. Two I can think of are "General Studies" and "Black Studies".

Missouri has access to Texas and Illinois to recruit in. You would think they could find eligible non-minority athletes they can win with.

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• wolfhnd
    replied
    While I'm sure that almost every black person in America has been discriminated against they are not alone. Discrimination is universal and afflicts the fat, the ugly, the short, the tall, the near sighted, those with unusual voices, and a host of other attributes people cannot control. Since the worst aspect or at least the most obvious aspects of racial discrimination have been overcome blacks are now just one minority amongst hundreds of groups that are discriminated against.

For me at least I think it is time to focus on discrimination that results from poor manners, antipathy, a lack of objective fairness and incivility. While I have often bemoaned the politically correct crowd they have a point and eliminating hate speech and raising awareness are worthy goals. I believe that instilling an expectation for people being proper and of good character eliminates most of what they object to and is a more civil approach.

Leave a comment:

• phil74501
    replied
    The football players are saying that they will not play again unless their demands are met. I say yank their scholarships and make them pay for the schooling themselves. Or let them transfer to some DIII school and enjoy traveling in vans, instead of airplanes, to every game.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X