No announcement yet.

List of demands from Concerned Student 1950 group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S[ports is breaking the back of the entire educational system, including the service academies.

Back when I first retired, I was asked to volunteer to work in the Air Force Academy Pharmacy handing out the prescriptions to people.

I did a little checking and found out that in that same year alone, the Air Force Academy had already spent $16 million dollars on it's football team alone.

I told them not only no, but HELL NO!

Additionally, although it costs a quarter million or more per student, the Academy routinely releases cadets from all of their obligations if they are picked up by a professional team.

Tell me why, if you can, such a student is not required to repay the entire cost of his education from his inflated professional earnings?

Getting an education is not about professional sports - it's about learing the things one needs to become an intelligent and functional adult ready to should adult responsibilities in the workplace.

It's about making America better, not lining one's own pockets with professional contracts.

If the alumni don't want to donate for improving minds, screw 'em.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      S[ports is breaking the back of the entire educational system, including the service academies.

Back when I first retired, I was asked to volunteer to work in the Air Force Academy Pharmacy handing out the prescriptions to people.

I did a little checking and found out that in that same year alone, the Air Force Academy had already spent $16 million dollars on it's football team alone.

I told them not only no, but HELL NO!

Additionally, although it costs a quarter million or more per student, the Academy routinely releases cadets from all of their obligations if they are picked up by a professional team.

Tell me why, if you can, such a student is not required to repay the entire cost of his education from his inflated professional earnings?

Getting an education is not about professional sports - it's about learing the things one needs to become an intelligent and functional adult ready to should adult responsibilities in the workplace.

It's about making America better, not lining one's own pockets with professional contracts.

If the alumni don't want to donate for improving minds, screw 'em.
      The Air Force football program revenue was 45 million against spending of 41 million,

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Established in 1954, the U.S. Air Force Academy is a coeducational public liberal arts college in Colorado Springs, CO, where students graduate as second lieutenants in the Air Force. This year, it claims the title of No. 5 public school in the nation. It is the only accredited undergraduate institution with satellites in orbit: the student-built FalconSAT-3 and the FalconSAT-5. The school is the youngest of the five U.S. service academies and the campus is a national historical landmark.

http://www.forbes.com/colleges/unite...force-academy/

College athletics is a necessity, high school athletics is a necessity. It is IMO a necessity to have high school sports teams as they are a deterrent to kids slinging crack cocaine on the streets to adults.

Comment

Originally posted by Taieb el-Okbi View Post
        The Air Force football program revenue was 45 million against spending of 41 million,

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

College athletics is a necessity, high school athletics is a necessity. It is IMO a necessity to have high school sports teams as they are a deterrent to kids slinging crack cocaine on the streets to adults.
        Neither is a necessity. They are entertainment. Yes, they generate revenue, usually a positive cash flow even. But, that doesn't make them a necessity.

Comment

"It's typically white media who don't understand the importance of respecting black spaces," they tweeted.
          I laughed so hard when I read this. They have no idea how racist that sounds like?

Hey, boy......you mind respecting white spaces.....like the front of the bus and the lunch counter?

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
            I laughed so hard when I read this. They have no idea how racist that sounds like?

Hey, boy......you mind respecting white spaces.....like the front of the bus and the lunch counter?

That's how you counter this sort of $h!+ too. You call it what it is. Had the president of that university come out and said "This is nothing more than a racist, bigoted screed by some marginally intelligent students, and we should ignore their demands..."

Sure, the students who made this demand would have violently rioted. Most would have ended up in jail with records. But, it would have ended their stupidity and sent a message to every other radical nut bag group of college idiots: "Make irrational, bigoted, demands and you too will end up in jail."

That stops this BS in its tracks. Caving only ensures more criminal stupidity.

Comment

Self segregation has always been part of the road block to advancement for minorities.

The origin of the word ghetto is related to the Jewish quarter of European cities. The only way to escape was to stop being Jewish. Other minorities don't have that options and of course rejecting your heritage is not easy or even necessarily desirable.

Many Americans underestimate how deep the African-American desire to create and maintain their own traditions actually is. Unfortunate the programs offered by universities to enrich African American culture have been hijacked by "activists" with their own agendas. Perhaps it is a marxist influence as Marx remains a highly respected philosopher in some intellectual circles but it could simply be Marx like in some of it's manifestations. The irony is that whatever it's underpinnings activists movements tend to suppress the individuality and the creativity of the people they claim to represent which in turns suppresses cultural enrichment.
              We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                That's how you counter this sort of $h!+ too. You call it what it is. Had the president of that university come out and said "This is nothing more than a racist, bigoted screed by some marginally intelligent students, and we should ignore their demands..."

Sure, the students who made this demand would have violently rioted. Most would have ended up in jail with records. But, it would have ended their stupidity and sent a message to every other radical nut bag group of college idiots: "Make irrational, bigoted, demands and you too will end up in jail."

I like the conspiracy theory that he was undone by his "colleagues" myself. As I said earlier people totally underestimate the viciousness of academic competition.
                We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                  I like the conspiracy theory that he was undone by his "colleagues" myself. As I said earlier people totally underestimate the viciousness of academic competition.
                  Oh, of that I have no doubt. A professor friend of mine wanted to teach a course on minorities in the military after retiring. He's an eastern European immigrant and was an interpreter at the Nuremburg trials at the end of WW 2.

The minority Leftists had a stoke and demanded that he be disqualified. He sued and it went to the Arizona Supreme Court who unanimously found that he was discriminated against and forced the university to pay him for not just his salary but punitive damages.

As he put it, it was a hollow victory since those who opposed him teaching this course got what they wanted at taxpayer expense: Him removed from teaching it. It didn't matter to them that they lost the battle, in their eyes they won the war. The old White guy was kept from teaching a course that they would have rather had a politically correct propagandist teaching.

Comment

Oh, of that I have no doubt. A professor friend of mine wanted to teach a course on minorities in the military after retiring. He's an eastern European immigrant and was an interpreter at the Nuremburg trials at the end of WW 2.

The minority Leftists had a stoke and demanded that he be disqualified. He sued and it went to the Arizona Supreme Court who unanimously found that he was discriminated against and forced the university to pay him for not just his salary but punitive damages.

As he put it, it was a hollow victory since those who opposed him teaching this course got what they wanted at taxpayer expense: Him removed from teaching it. It didn't matter to them that they lost the battle, in their eyes they won the war. The old White guy was kept from teaching a course that they would have rather had a politically correct propagandist teaching.
                    Nice story, thanks for sharing. People tend to underestimate the ability of humans to turn "natural" physical aggression into psychological warfare. The non violent crowd are not as non violent as they would like to believe.
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

This is exactly why the blacks keep it up. The whites (apparently mired in guilt about something?) keep giving in to their demands...... only to see that it invites another round of demands.... ostensibly to see how far they can take it.

There is a point of contention here, there ARE certain things that happen that are deplorable. These are to be stopped, but no one can control the thoughts of every human being. Therefore, there WILL be some incidents that cannot be stopped. The blacks must understand that.

Personally, I'm tired of them. We have given them every opportunity, from the 60's on to "better themselves", sometimes to the detriment of the whites in so doing. Those who have taken advantage of this have succeeded in life. What is left is those who will not take the responsibilities of life.

Thus we are left with a group of whining no loads.

Shame on the academic community if they "fold" to this sort of blackmail.

It is no surprise that the "football" team was a crucial tool in all this. I have thought that they were thugs for some time now. One of the reasons why the police reports are sprinkled with the "football" players misdoings.

..... and now the "thugs" run the college. VERY clever, administrators. Your reward will be to have this happen again..... and again....

GG
                      "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                        Self segregation has always been part of the road block to advancement for minorities.

The origin of the word ghetto is related to the Jewish quarter of European cities. The only way to escape was to stop being Jewish. Other minorities don't have that options and of course rejecting your heritage is not easy or even necessarily desirable.

Many Americans underestimate how deep the African-American desire to create and maintain their own traditions actually is. Unfortunate the programs offered by universities to enrich African American culture have been hijacked by "activists" with their own agendas. Perhaps it is a marxist influence as Marx remains a highly respected philosopher in some intellectual circles but it could simply be Marx like in some of it's manifestations. The irony is that whatever it's underpinnings activists movements tend to suppress the individuality and the creativity of the people they claim to represent which in turns suppresses cultural enrichment.
                        I think you're right that the African-American community for the most part has a desire to have an identity separate from white America. Trouble is, they are succeeding but not in a positive way. More and more, due to a minority within their community, African-Americans are viewed as people who would rather lay blame than accept responsibility. They claim to want opportunity but the perception I get is they really want is some sort of guaranteed success. Maybe it's a cultural memory, coming from the time when things like Affirmative Action were needed to start breaking down some barriers. Today's younger black kids want the same preferential treatment, not realizing that to receive special privileges due to skin color is itself racist.

If I, as a white person, came out and said that a black person can't succeed on their own, without help from white people, I would be crucified as being racist. Yet I believe this is what black people themselves believe to be true and not only that they believe special treatment is something that's owed to them. Until they change their attitude about this, I am afraid racism will continue to thrive. We have a black president, the ceiling for opportunity for black people no longer exists, but still there's the demand for special treatment as if it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve573 View Post
                          I think you're right that the African-American community for the most part has a desire to have an identity separate from white America. Trouble is, they are succeeding but not in a positive way. More and more, due to a minority within their community, African-Americans are viewed as people who would rather lay blame than accept responsibility. They claim to want opportunity but the perception I get is they really want is some sort of guaranteed success. Maybe it's a cultural memory, coming from the time when things like Affirmative Action were needed to start breaking down some barriers. Today's younger black kids want the same preferential treatment, not realizing that to receive special privileges due to skin color is itself racist.

If I, as a white person, came out and said that a black person can't succeed on their own, without help from white people, I would be crucified as being racist. Yet I believe this is what black people themselves believe to be true and not only that they believe special treatment is something that's owed to them. Until they change their attitude about this, I am afraid racism will continue to thrive. We have a black president, the ceiling for opportunity for black people no longer exists, but still there's the demand for special treatment as if it does.
                          If that is the case, they might want to look at Native Americans. The reservation system has kept most tribes in poverty and despair for the last century. Demanding some "separate but equal" system will only ensure their social and economic decline.

Comment

A lot of assumptions about 'those blacks' going on in here.

Did my own informal poll yesterday amongst our black students and teachers. Exactly zero of them were supportive of what the protesters were doing and how they were doing it.

Minuscule sample size of just over a dozen, and from a fairly homogeneous group for sure, but on the other hand, it stands in stark contrast to the claims about blacks in here.

Comment

I'm interested in your claim that they've committed crimes. Please provide some proof?

I agree that the entire stunt is pretty idiotic, but I'm unaware of any laws broken.
                              First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
                                This is exactly why the blacks keep it up. The whites (apparently mired in guilt about something?) keep giving in to their demands...... only to see that it invites another round of demands.... ostensibly to see how far they can take it.

There is a point of contention here, there ARE certain things that happen that are deplorable. These are to be stopped, but no one can control the thoughts of every human being. Therefore, there WILL be some incidents that cannot be stopped. The blacks must understand that.

Personally, I'm tired of them. We have given them every opportunity, from the 60's on to "better themselves", sometimes to the detriment of the whites in so doing. Those who have taken advantage of this have succeeded in life. What is left is those who will not take the responsibilities of life.

Thus we are left with a group of whining no loads.

Shame on the academic community if they "fold" to this sort of blackmail.

It is no surprise that the "football" team was a crucial tool in all this. I have thought that they were thugs for some time now. One of the reasons why the police reports are sprinkled with the "football" players misdoings.

..... and now the "thugs" run the college. VERY clever, administrators. Your reward will be to have this happen again..... and again....

GG
                                This is exactly what is going on.............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X