Trump on SNL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BF69 View Post

In the meantime you have to contemplate the possibility that conservative side of politics in the most powerful nation in the world may well nominate as its candidate a man from a 'non-western culture' that still carries the stain of a centuries old Muslim occupation of Spain.
    Who or what are you referring to here?
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
      I wondered the same thing, but knew better than to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
        I can remember watching SNL when I first moved to the US...I was quickly tired of it. I'm surprised no one has told Michael Lorne to put a bullet in it while he was ahead, because I understand there actually was a period or two when SNL was uproariously funny. As it were, just as high one can go, the harder they will drop.

It seems to me that SNL has long tried testing it's waters for the Charlie Hebdo approach, where nothing is sacred, but has failed magnificently more often than not. While Charlie Hebdo has more or less mastered the art of offending anything and everyone under the sun, SNL couldn't help but reveal it's own comedic/satirical weakness in being blatantly selective.

The worst part is, as SNL becomes more and more stale and the the coup de grâce is finally administered to this show....something more sinister will no doubt take it's place.
        Saturday Night Live was at it's best in the the late 80's and early 90's but after that it has slowly gone down hill.
        “When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”
        ― Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
          I'm not sure what's worse - blindly driving the bus off the cliff in ignorance, or being fully aware it's going over the edge and doing nothing to stop it.
          ...and YOU'RE going to stop it? Please. Nothing against you, personally, but the odds of that happening is miniscule.

Perhaps if we all pull together..... but I've already covered that contingency, haven't I?

GG
          "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

(Don't make me release the flying monkeys!!)

Originally posted by asterix View Post

It seems to me that SNL has long tried testing it's waters for the Charlie Hebdo approach, where nothing is sacred, but has failed magnificently more often than not. While Charlie Hebdo has more or less mastered the art of offending anything and everyone under the sun, SNL couldn't help but reveal it's own comedic/satirical weakness in being blatantly selective.

The worst part is, as SNL becomes more and more stale and the the coup de grâce is finally administered to this show....something more sinister will no doubt take it's place.
            Even though SNL has gotten to its 40th season it still has its detractors. Back when it started, SNL was 'scandalous', 'cutting-edge', 'topical', 'risque', 'clever', and very funny. Now, however, the audience has changed. Viewers are more cynical, politically oriented and much more "PC". Much more is now expected form the show which each week has to come up with topical and up-to-date humor.
            SNL has become more than a once-a-week tv show. It's an institution here, IN THE UNITED STATES.
            And, as for the 'frenchie living in the US', please be aware that in France, Jerry Lewis is considered a comedy god.....(just sayin')
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Trump going on SNL was a good thing. It really made light of the whole "Trump is a racist" deal and shows that he isn't afraid of it. Humor leads to things not being taken as seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
                ...and YOU'RE going to stop it? Please. Nothing against you, personally, but the odds of that happening is miniscule.

Perhaps if we all pull together..... but I've already covered that contingency, haven't I?

GG
                Nope. But then, I don't believe the bus is going off the edge, either.

Comment

A little funny... but South Park does it better these days.

They had Trump riding off with Caitlyn Jenner... as Jenner ran over a spectator.
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Checkertail20 View Post
                    Saturday Night Live was at it's best in the the late 80's and early 90's but after that it has slowly gone down hill.
                    I think it is all based on your age group. To me Saturday Night Live's best days were when it was new in the 1970's.
                    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                    Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

Originally posted by dgfred View Post
                      A little funny... but South Park does it better these days.

They had Trump riding off with Caitlyn Jenner... as Jenner ran over a spectator.
                      Yes, I can get South Park but then again, I edit Manga and can laugh my @$$ off at Archer too...

Comment

Originally posted by Escape2Victory View Post
                        Rubbish. You totally wrote him off as a no-hoper who had fled the field in a tantrum by now. You can own it or not as you please but you might want to be a bit more circumspect in the confidence you express in your political pronouncements rather than strutting around as an expert.
                        As I have been saying from the outset, get back to me when he wins & tell me how clever you are.
                        Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by 17thfabn View Post
                          Our English friend has a fascinating theory on Hispanic culture being 'non-Western'on account of its exposure to Islam. He let it slip a while back and has resolutely ignored my requests for some references or links backing up his theory. I suspect this is because he has been spending time in some places he'd rather not let us know about. I've never seen a credible reference to his theory.

It came up on this thread about Trump. He has been dodging and weaving about it ever since.
                          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            Yes, I can get South Park but then again, I edit Manga and can laugh my @$$ off at Archer too...
                            Haha... I laugh at Archer too but their voices annoy me somewhat.

South Park is kind of hardcore... especially considering what could be said/shown on TV in our days.

They go for the jugular.
                            SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X