Legally blind barber awarded $100k for wrongful termination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legally blind barber awarded $100k for wrongful termination

BOSTON (AP) — A legally blind barber has been awarded $100,000 by a Massachusetts commission against discrimination after it says he was wrongly fired.

The Boston Herald reports (http://bit.ly/1ME3w82) Joel Nixon had been working for Tony's Barber Shop in Norton for a year before his boss discovered his condition.

The 29-year-old has retinitis pigmentosa, a condition affecting his peripheral vision and making it hard for him to see at night, the Herald reports. He's been declared legally blind by the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind.
    AP - Full Article

A legally blind barber? Ouch...
    "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Nobody noticed because he specialized in boot camp style buzz cuts...

Comment

The only thing that should be of concern is whether or not he could do the job. Nothing more than that.

GG
        "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
          The only thing that should be of concern is whether or not he could do the job. Nothing more than that.

GG
          I agree completely. I've just got an inappropriate sense of humor.
          "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post

GG
            That's why he won, it seems.

Comment

If the boss took a year to work out one of his barbers was blind maybe he should get the sack instead.
              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Well, it's nothing compared to hepatitis and food service workers who are often allowed to keep their jobs although infected...

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health...cinated-n87006

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                  If the boss took a year to work out one of his barbers was blind maybe he should get the sack instead.
                  He was legally blind, not some guy with a pair of dark glasses, a white cane, and a guide dog.

His kind of blindness is peripheral. I know a guy like that. He is doorman and ticket taker at the opera house. He can see fine. It is tunnel vision.

The buy worked a year and if no mishaps, there was no cause to fire him.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    He was legally blind, not some guy with a pair of dark glasses, a white cane, and a guide dog.

His kind of blindness is peripheral. I know a guy like that. He is doorman and ticket taker at the opera house. He can see fine. It is tunnel vision.

The buy worked a year and if no mishaps, there was no cause to fire him.
                    ....which is the point I was making.....
                    Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                      ....which is the point I was making.....
                      So I am not allowed to agree with you?
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                        So I am not allowed to agree with you?
                        Not what you were doing. Should be beneath you to claim it was.

Comment

And what might have been an interesting discussion of the rights of employers degenerates into another slugfest...

Anybody stop to wonder what effect having a "legally blind" barber on staff might have had on their business and customer base? Would you go there, based solely on that piece of information?

There is always more than one side to every story.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Legally blind does not mean blind. It means that you have severely reduced vision. Two of my wife's coworkers are legally blind. They are both "road warriors" who fly around the country weekly. They don't drive, but other than that, they're just as competent as anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                              Legally blind does not mean blind. It means that you have severely reduced vision. Two of my wife's coworkers are legally blind. They are both "road warriors" who fly around the country weekly. They don't drive, but other than that, they're just as competent as anyone else.
                              But my point was that the average barbershop customer isn't that well informed and would very likely interpret that differently.

But it really doesn't matter because the actual serious part of the discussion ended almost immediately and the personal flame wars have begun.
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X