Religious Kids Are More Selfish Than Non-Religious Kids, Study Says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
    In such a case as B, that's a flaw with the system and a condemnation of our nation as a whole, not a mistake in the inherent moral justification or thought process behind giving to charity / to the state.

In the same way that one may not decide to leave money after a meal if there is already a 15% gratuity included in the bill, even if the service was good, the person involved may see such a payment as no different from where they stand.

I'm not arguing one is better than the other, only that donating through taxes could arguably fill the same roll as donating to a specific charity in both practice and how they perceive their actions.

After all, to use our two examples, one could argue that the person paying 20% in taxes is acting more generously than the person donating 20% to, say, only cat shelters, because they are allowing society and the wider voter to decide how best to utilize their money rather than spending it solely on their own narrow interests.

Again, that is more about perception and semantics, in the end. But I imagine that the key is going to be 'willingness'. If someone willingly pays their taxes without any recourse to threat, then the differences between a willing donation to a specific charity vanish.

It's conceptual, but an interesting idea.

You won't see me arguing with you there. I'm just looking at human nature and how we perceive such things. One could make the argument that the person willingly paying taxes to the state when required has no meaningful difference from the person willingly paying to their chosen 'Save the Whales' campaign.
    Bottom line though still is taxes are not voluntary or even something someone agreed to. Rather they are something government mandates and uses force to ensure that those paying them do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      At a philosophical level, I imagine both actually serve the same purpose.

Person A pays no taxes but donates 20% of their income to charity. They believe this is a moral good and generous behavior because they believe it will be spent on social good, like feeding the hungry and paying for schools.

Person B pays 20% of their income in tax but donates nothing to charity. They believe this is a moral good and generous behavior because they believe it will be spent on social good, like feeding the hungry and paying for schools.

Both of these individuals could believe that the money they're giving (regardless of whether they'd be punished for not giving) is a generous act that will benefit their fellow man.

Thus the person paying taxes who believes taxes should serve the needy and the community at large may see their taxes in the spirit of generosity and altruism. After all, if they voted for increased taxes to be spent on such concerns, then isn't that still altruistic behavior?

In the end, I imagine it will come down to semantics and personal perception on what is or isn't altruism.
      How does person A not pay tax?

I understand where you are trying to go with this but it doesn't make sense.

The reality is that both person A & B pay taxes, A also donates to charities, B thinks that taxes are a 'donation' for the common good.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

It is entirely possible that many people vote for taxes they will have to pay to support programs they themselves will not benefit from. The argument that we have taxation without representation seems kind of weak. While I have concerns about democracy replacing our republican system either way you will occasionally be taxed for something you don't agree with under any imaginable system.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
          How does person A not pay tax?

I understand where you are trying to go with this but it doesn't make sense.

The reality is that both person A & B pay taxes, A also donates to charities, B thinks that taxes are a 'donation' for the common good.
          It was a hypothetical situation to illustrate a point by removing a variable to explore the concept behind giving and taxes, especially to avoid the "this person gives more" variable by equalizing their voluntary donations.

Comment

So why are religious people and organizations usually behind all of the public appeals for money for others?

Does it have anything to do with those televangelists that enrich themsleves in the name of "god"?

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              So why are religious people and organizations usually behind all of the public appeals for money for others?

Does it have anything to do with those televangelists that enrich themsleves in the name of "god"?

Rest assured those get the lowest seats in hell. They are the reason I believe in taxing the church. Also there's a huge amount of weird cults that get by using this loophole to buy up lands and enrich themselves...

Nah, tax all of them. Every last one. Render unto Caesar. Property tax at least, income tax I'd include...
              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]So why are religious people and organizations usually behind all of the public appeals for money for others?
                They aren't. You're thinking of politicians.

As a Christian I believe it is my duty to give. I don't believe it is my duty to pressure YOU to give.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                  Rest assured those get the lowest seats in hell. They are the reason I believe in taxing the church. Also there's a huge amount of weird cults that get by using this loophole to buy up lands and enrich themselves...
                  As long as Non-profits are exempt, then shall the Church.

Nah, tax all of them. Every last one. Render unto Caesar. Property tax at least, income tax I'd include...
                  Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and unto God the things that are God's.

That can also be interpreted as nothing belongs to Caesar and all belongs to God.
                  Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                    As long as Non-profits are exempt, then shall the Church.

Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's and unto God the things that are God's.

That can also be interpreted as nothing belongs to Caesar and all belongs to God.
                    More likely just more communist disdain for personal wealth
                    We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X