Carson admitted lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carson admitted lie

Ben Carson has admitted he lied about being accepted to West Point.

Carson admission
    To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. - George Santayana

Can't trust any of them...
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Would this be considered a kind of 'stolen valour?'
      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
        Considering how some people are willing to defend him regardless, I imagine they'll justify it somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by taco View Post
          Ben Carson has admitted he lied about being accepted to West Point.

Carson admission
          Where did he admit that he lied?

He was offered a full scholarship but in the end he turned it down......
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015.../?intcmp=hpbt1

Image is everything...He stepped on his di&* .....Its over

Comment

Politco, who broke the story, has a better article.

To quote:

The academy has occupied a central place in Carson’s tale for years. According to a story told in Carson’s book, “Gifted Hands,” the then-17 year old was introduced in 1969 to Gen. William Westmoreland, who had just ended his command of U.S. forces in Vietnam, and the two dined together. That meeting, according to Carson’s telling, was followed by a “full scholarship” to the military academy.

West Point, however, has no record of Carson applying, much less being extended admission.

“In 1969, those who would have completed the entire process would have received their acceptance letters from the Army Adjutant General,” said Theresa Brinkerhoff, a spokeswoman for the academy. She said West Point has no records that indicate Carson even began the application process. “If he chose to pursue (the application process), then we would have records indicating such,” she said.

Carson would have needed to seek admission in order to receive an offer of free education from West Point. Also, according to West Point, there is no such thing as a “full scholarship” to the military academy, as Carson represented in his book.
              Politco - Full Article

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                I don't see how, he said he was offered a full scholarship but he decided not to attend.

From the linked article:

"Dr. . Carson was the top ROTC student in the City of Detroit. In that role he was invited to meet General Westmoreland. He believes it was at a banquet. He can’t remember with specificity their brief conversation but it centered around Dr. Carson’s performance as ROTC City Executive Officer. He was introduced to folks from West Point by his ROTC Supervisors. They told him they could help him get an appointment based on his grades and performance in ROTC. He considered it but in the end did not seek admission.”

He met General Westmoreland, later on folks from West Point told him that they could help him get an appointment.....he decided not to seek admission.
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Ah the mud slinging continues...
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Holliday View Post
                    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015.../?intcmp=hpbt1

Image is everything...He stepped on his di&* .....Its over
                    And importantly, it's tied to the military. That's a toxic mistake to the GOP core electorate.

Whether he misremembered such an important event or just lied will be irrelevant if the accusations stick and he can't come up with a coherent response. He needs to bury this story before the Dems run with it.

After all, they want to paint ANY GOP candidate as a liar as well to take the focus off of Hillary and her cornucopia of lies. That Carson looks to have lied and exaggerated in his own biography won't be easy to dismiss for the GOP.

Comment

As the spinning and twisting of the truth continues in that desperate search to discredit Carson and Trump.
                      “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                        Politco, who broke the story, has a better article.

To quote:

Politco - Full Article
                        They are saying the same thing:

"Dr. Carson did not seek admission"

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                          Whether he misremembered such an important event or just lied
                          What exactly did he lie about?

Comment

They are saying the same thing:

"Dr. Carson did not seek admission"
                            And he lied about the offer (which was impossible) and the "full scholarship" (which doesn't exist) in his biography.

One might be generous and say he misremembered the event, or he might even try to blame Westmoreland, but that will be a hard sell since he is the source for the story in his own biography, a story he considers pretty important for its inclusion.

Comment

I don't see any admission of lying in any of the articles... Nor do I see any evidence of a lie.
                              Last edited by The Doctor; 06 Nov 15, 13:20.
                              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X