Everyone Thinks Canada's New Defense Minister Looks 'Badass'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    So what is the new Canadian defense minister getting done for Canada? Besides looking grubby?
    Well, he's only been in the position for eight days. It's early yet.

1. Got his release from the military
    2. Ordered an investigation into military suicides and ordered a prioritization of suicide prevention.
    3. The military is expected to play a role in taking in 25,000 refugees. He has been busy with that but not giving details yet.
    3. I imagine he has been very busy with ceremonial duties because Remembrance Day came seven days after his appointment.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
      Well, he's only been in the position for eight days. It's early yet.

1. Got his release from the military
      2. Ordered an investigation into military suicides and ordered a prioritization of suicide prevention.
      3. The military is expected to play a role in taking in 25,000 refugees. He has been busy with that but not giving details yet.
      3. I imagine he has been very busy with ceremonial duties because Remembrance Day came seven days after his appointment.
      How many suicides do you have, and why? It's not like Canadian troops face multiple back-to-back deployments to the Middle East or anything like ours do.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

How many suicides do you have, and why? It's not like Canadian troops face multiple back-to-back deployments to the Middle East or anything like ours do.
        Actually they do. The problem began with overextending or personnel in Bosnia and continued through multiple deployments in Afghanistan. It is a problem, similar but with a smaller population, to what you face in the U.S. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
          Actually they do. The problem began with overextending or personnel in Bosnia and continued through multiple deployments in Afghanistan. It is a problem, similar but with a smaller population, to what you face in the U.S. I think.

I had no idea. How many troops do you have in Afghanistan?
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I had no idea. How many troops do you have in Afghanistan?
            I don't believe that they have any more but they had at least one reinforced battalion/battle group there from 2002-2014. At their peak, they had 2500 troops there.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
              I don't believe that they have any more but they had at least one reinforced battalion/battle group there from 2002-2014. At their peak, they had 2500 troops there.
              And they gave a good account of themselves!
              Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Here is a newspaper article on suicide in the Canadian forces. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle27202167/

My understanding is that the problem tends to be a shortage of ranks and an over commitment of troops. In Bosnia all the junior officers wanted a single tour to help their advancement. And being top heavy there was no shortage of officers. However, there were not enough enlisted and experienced NCOs to cover the commitment so the troops took multiple tours. I believe there was a big push to get NCOs to do multiple tours. The Medak Pocket is notable if you are interested in Canadian history and politics. The Ghosts of Medak Pocket by Carol Off and Peacekeeper: The Road to Sarajevo by Major General Lewis Mackenzie are excellent books on Canadian involvement in the Balkans.

I don't know if the same problem exists with Afghanistan. Canada had/has special operations (Joint Task Force 2), armour, infantry, and air assets in Afghanistan. We currently provide training, but not combat troops, in Northern Iraq. I know quite a few people who have children who have done tours in Afghanistan, including my brother's step-son. One friend's son received a medical discharge for PTSD. My old militia regiment has sent troops, and lost one man, in Afghanistan. Keeping in mind that my militia unit had only three platoons (one airborne, one motorized, and one training) when I was there. It is likely made up similarly. One death out of about 60 operational troops is noticed.

Here is the wiki page on Canada in Afghanistan
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada...fghanistan_War
                Last edited by Duncan; 13 Nov 15, 18:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparlingo View Post
                  Cheers, in 1988, Baltej Singh Dhillo applied to become a Royal Canadian Mounted Policeman, He was accepted but was asked to shave off the beard and remove the turban, which he refused to do. Amid HUGE controversy and protest in Canada for two years, in March 1990 Solicitor General Pierre Cadieux delivered his ruling to allow turban and beard. Dhillon then began police training in Regina and graduated in 1991.

The "turbaned Mountie" is now a symbol of pride for the RCMP

When Sikh Religion evolved from peaceful non violent to a self defensive religion, The last Guru ordered them to be ready for a moment of notice for taking Arms up fight for justice.

They were 5 essentials or 5 K :
                  Kesh: uncut hair
                  Kangha: a wooden comb
                  Kara: a metal bracelet
                  Kachera: a specific style of cotton undergarments
                  Kirpan: a strapped curved sword

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Ks

For Sikhs the sanctity of these thing symbolizes their eagerness to be ever ready to follow the call of duty.

in their minds they are like civilian irregulars ready to form their militia.

earlier i had stated their sense of community service,

In Paris attack the Paris Gurudwaras Temples immediately opened their doors to help Parisians.

The multiple attacks that unfolded in Paris during the late Friday evening were all in the vicinity of the Indian embassy in Paris, said Manish Prabhat, Deputy Chief of the embassy, .......

Indian community especially the Sikh gurdwaras opened up to those in need soon after the attack was reported on local TV, Mr. Prabhat told The Hindu.
                  http://www.thehindu.com/news/helicop...cle7876247.ece

This Sikh Manís Tweet After The Paris Terror Attacks Captured What Religion Should Be About

Rohan @RohanSinghKalsi

Anybody who's stranded in Paris and needs shelter and somewhere safe, any Sikh Gurdwara (temple) will be happy to accommodate #PorteOuverte
                  4:10 AM - 14 Nov 2015

13,342 13,342 Retweets

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sahilrizwan/...cte#.ixy1k3n92

Comment

So what is the new Canadian defense minister getting done for Canada? Besides looking grubby?
                    Looks are not important, it is symbolism.

US and Canada are Nations created by people from mainly from Europe,

for other immigrants who are living their from last 100 years it is a small token of appreciation or rather recognition.

His people wont mind him being replaced in any new cabinet reshuffle,

as colored all over the world were happy that Obama became President.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X