X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonathanrex1
    started a topic Why Asian Americans Don't Vote Republican

Why Asian Americans Don't Vote Republican

I'd thought I'd post this article to dispel the myth that most minorities vote Democrats because they're lazy poor people who want free stuff. Asian Americas have a higher income than Whites and yet have swung from supporting Republican to Democrats in the past 25 years.

Originally posted by The Washington Post
    Why Asian Americans don’t vote Republican

By Cecilia Hyunjung Mo / November 2

During the recent No Labels-hosted Problem Solver Convention in New Hampshire, things got a little uncomfortable.

When Joseph Choe, an Asian American college student, stood up to ask a question about South Korea, Donald Trump cut him off and wondered aloud: “Are you from South Korea?”

Choe responded, “I’m not. I was born in Texas, raised in Colorado.” His answer prompted laughter from the audience, and nothing more than a shrug from the GOP presidential candidate.

Media outlets like NPR and the Huffington Post mocked this interaction as a “Where are you from?” moment.

A fellow conference attendee who walked by Choe subsequently joked, “You’re gonna have to show him your birth certificate, man!”

Although Trump probably did not intend to offend, this interaction likely reminded Choe and other Asian American voters that being Asian often translates to being perceived by fellow Americans as a foreigner.

Read More...

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X