Teacher of the Year Told She Is "Unqualified"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher of the Year Told She Is "Unqualified"

A longtime Alabama educator who has won Teacher of the Year honors resigned last week when her "frustration boiled over" with bureaucracy. Informed that she lacked the state qualifications to teach 5th grade, Ann Marie Corgill resigned from Birmingham City Schools, NPR reports. "After 21 years of teaching in grades 1-6, I have no answers as to why this is a problem now, so instead of paying more fees, taking more tests, and proving once again that I am qualified to teach, I am resigning," she wrote in her resignation letter.
    http://www.newser.com/story/215379/t...ml?intcmp=hpdm
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

This is just one, and a major one, of the myriad of reasons public education in the US is a failure. When the process of certification is so costly and narrow minded it ensures that teachers aren't the best, but rather the licensed. That benefits the government and universities doing the process and licensing.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      This is just one, and a major one, of the myriad of reasons public education in the US is a failure. When the process of certification is so costly and narrow minded it ensures that teachers aren't the best, but rather the licensed. That benefits the government and universities doing the process and licensing.
      Medicine is the same way. When I was a Physician Assistant is was sore point with all of my colleagues and myself that we had to re-test and re-certify every two years throughout our entire career, at great expense, while physicians never had to do either.

When I worked at the prison, I worked with a physician who told me one day that he couldn't help me with a choice of antibiotics in a complex case because he had no knowledge of antibiotics beyond the early 50's - he knew about penicillin and erythromycin, and that was it. He was over thirty years out of date, but his right to practice was guaranteed for life.

Comment

How long ago was this and in what state? I have several doctors in my family and they all have to pass what they've described as a rather lengthy and gueling recertification test every 8 years to ensure they're up to date on current medical knowledge or they lose their license to practice. My dad took it last year and he spent every night for over a month studying for the thing.
        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
          How long ago was this and in what state? I have several doctors in my family and they all have to pass what they've described as a rather lengthy and gueling recertification test every 8 years to ensure they're up to date on current medical knowledge or they lose their license to practice. My dad took it last year and he spent every night for over a month studying for the thing.

Colorado is the early 80's.

Your father should try doing it every two years the way we have to. After all, it was the AMA who pushed for that requirement. Seems like they could use the same level of knowledge and the same licensure requirements that we have to possess, right? Or higher, to be honest. After all, to supervise another professional one should be more qualified, not less. And we don't like the presumption of incompetence created by physicians when they insisted on that amount of licensing, certifying and national testing at that frequency while being unwilling to do it themselves.

Now, back to the actual subject, which is this teacher who presumably got caught up in the recertification and relicensure process herself and didn't like it one bit. I understand how she feels, but I think her approach was wrong. She punished herself in order to make her point. There are more productive ways to protest for an outfit as politicized as the Teachers Union.

Comment

There are other jobs out there for qualified teachers. I taught for two years, but ended up dealing cards. I made more money and did not have to work as hard. It was easier handling drunks than teenagers. From the article, my guess is Alabama does not have tenure. Tenure tends to protect teachers from this sort of thing.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              There are other jobs out there for qualified teachers. I taught for two years, but ended up dealing cards. I made more money and did not have to work as hard. It was easier handling drunks than teenagers. From the article, my guess is Alabama does not have tenure. Tenure tends to protect teachers from this sort of thing.

Pruitt
              But it shouldn't. Just because someone has been there forever doesn't mean they're worth a damn. Just look at Congress.

Comment

Actually my 7th Grade Math Teacher was even more protected. She was in her 60's, maybe 70's. She talked in a low, soft voice. The class almost put me to sleep every day. The only thing that saved me was the Maps that were pulled down for the Geography Class held in there the hour before. She only got excited once that year when she raised her voice one level and fussed at us for not asking questions like one of the straight A students! The lady could not be fired. Not only was he tenured, her husband was a school board member! Any principal that ran her school risked firing if he graded her teaching skills correctly. By the way, I took Math again at Summer School and made an A!

Tenure does not keep a teacher from being fired. It is a little like Civil Service protection.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  But it shouldn't. Just because someone has been there forever doesn't mean they're worth a damn. Just look at Congress.
                  With Congress we should take away their ability to set their own pay and make them grovel to the public for a raise. Then remove all retirement benefits from the job. "Thank you for your service" is all they get leaving office.

At least that would help keep down the number of career / professional politicians in Congress some...

Comment

With Congress we should take away their ability to set their own pay and make them grovel to the public for a raise. Then remove all retirement benefits from the job. "Thank you for your service" is all they get leaving office.

At least that would help keep down the number of career / professional politicians in Congress some...
                    I still believe that every representative and senator's paycheck should be equal to the average American's yearly salary (after taxes). Give them an incentive to see more Americans employed, making more money, and help steer them back towards economically sound policies.

But that's a pipe dream, sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                      I still believe that every representative and senator's paycheck should be equal to the average American's yearly salary (after taxes). Give them an incentive to see more Americans employed, making more money, and help steer them back towards economically sound policies.

But that's a pipe dream, sadly.
                      My version is done in Arizona right now at the state level. State legislators make about $23,500 a year, get no retirement or other benefits, and are considered "part time" workers. Most keep their "day job" with some company and recuse themselves from legislation that might impact the industry they work in and company they work for.

But, we can toss in your version too. Congress needs to feel the pain so to speak. That way we don't have imperial politicians.

Comment

Simply put, remove all incentive for an honest man to seek out Congress, and none will seek it out.

How many people in Az will want a job that requires them to maintain a residence in both Az and one of the most expensive cities in the USA, travel regularly between both, have to spend 6 months out of every 24 reapplying for their job, and all for chump change and no retirement?

A millionaire might do it as a lark for a couple terms, but otherwise, the only ones who will, will be the ones planning on selling their votes to the highest bidder.

Less than half of all Americans know who their rep is. A majority of eligible voters don't bother to vote. Its not the members of Congress who are to blame, its the people who are supposed to be overseeing them who have dropped the ball.
                        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Simply put, remove all incentive for an honest man to seek out Congress, and none will seek it out.

How many people in Az will want a job that requires them to maintain a residence in both Az and one of the most expensive cities in the USA, travel regularly between both, have to spend 6 months out of every 24 reapplying for their job, and all for chump change and no retirement?

A millionaire might do it as a lark for a couple terms, but otherwise, the only ones who will, will be the ones planning on selling their votes to the highest bidder.

Less than half of all Americans know who their rep is. A majority of eligible voters don't bother to vote. Its not the members of Congress who are to blame, its the people who are supposed to be overseeing them who have dropped the ball.
                          Give them per diem and let each state provide a standardized residence for them in Washington while there. Arizona does that for state legislators who live more than 50 miles from the capitol. Pay reasonable expenses for them, no more. Don't give them a huge staff of helpers or such.

There is no shortage of applicants for the state jobs. And most make decent livings outside being legislators. Why should we have or want a class of professional politicians running the country?

Comment

Working...
                          X