"Walking while black"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Walking while black"

Well now isn't this something? I wonder how many other claims of profiling would be undermined by a camera.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/02...ng-says-chief/
    "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

A college professor.....
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Just start issuing identifying jackets that say front and back "I AM A SELF-PROCLAIMED VICTIM. IF FOUND UNCONSCIOUS CALL A LAWYER."
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
        A college professor.....
        She does teach one lesson very well. Without some very convincing evidence to the contrary, I'll always believe the police version of the story.
        "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

If she calls that "profiling" she's a lying SOS. It seems to me she has an agenda and wants to create evidence to support it.
          Her being a college professor tells me three things:

1. A lot of college professors are idiots.

2. She's probably had a life time of being fed how she's a victim and lots of racial bigotry to add to that.

3. She's definitely someone I would not be taking a class from...

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
            She does teach one lesson very well. Without some very convincing evidence to the contrary, I'll always believe the police version of the story.
            Me too. Now that they have a "hook".... a hook is what they will go for.... every time.

GG
            "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
              1. A lot of college professors are idiots.

2. She's probably had a life time of being fed how she's a victim and lots of racial bigotry to add to that.

3. She's definitely someone I would not be taking a class from...
              1. Those who can.... DO! Those who cannot.... teach. (fFor the most part.)

2. Just another person taking advantage of the "hook"!

3. Not to worry, the football team (and others) in her school will... I understand that she "gives breaks" to athletic types.

GG
              "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

Comment

at the moment they asked for id they changed the dynamic if there story was true ie just wanting her to get out of the road then once that is done nothing else should of occurred. I am not doubting the police story but this kind of stuff just feeds the stero type of police harassing blacks.

heck most whites would annoyed with being detained for jay walking. come on we all make jokes about it.

Comment

She is the Dean of the School of Journalism at the University of North Texas, her article that was in the Dallas Morning News

Flashing lights and sirens from a police vehicle interrupted a routine Saturday morning walk in my golf-course community in Corinth.

I often walk about 3 miles near daybreak as part of my daily exercise. However, on Oct. 24, I delayed my walk until late morning as I waited for the rain to stop. I was dressed in a gray hooded “Boston” sweatshirt, black leggings, white socks, plus black-and-white Nike running shoes. Like most African-Americans, I am familiar with the phrase “driving while black,” but was I really being stopped for walking on the street in my own neighborhood?
                  Knowing that the police officers are typically armed with guns and are a lot bigger than my 5 feet, 4 inches, I had no interest in my life’s story playing out like Trayvon Martin’s death. I stopped and asked the two officers if there was a problem; I don’t remember getting a decent answer before one of the officers asked me where I lived and for identification.

I remember saying something like, “Around the corner. This is my neighborhood, and I’m a taxpayer who pays a lot of taxes.” As for the I.D. question, how many Americans typically carry I.D. with them on their morning walk? Do you realize I bought the hoodie I was wearing after completing the Harvard University Institute for Management and Leadership in Education in 2014? Do you realize I have hosted gatherings for family, friends, faculty, staff and students in my home? Not once was a police officer called. To those officers, my education or property-owner status didn’t matter. One officer captured my address and date of birth.

I guess I was simply a brown face in an affluent neighborhood. I told the police I didn’t like to walk in the rain, and one of them told me, “My dog doesn’t like to walk in the rain.” Ouch!

I didn’t have my I.D., but I did have my iPhone, so I took a picture of the two police officers and the Texas license plate. One of the officers told me I should walk on the sidewalk or the other side of the street for safety’s sake.

Although I am not related to Sandra Bland, I thought about her, Freddie Gray and the dozens of others who have died while in police custody. For safety’s sake, I posted the photo of the officers on Facebook, and within hours, more than 100 Facebook friends spread the news from New York to California.

“You are now in the company of Henry Louis Gates and others with the same experience,” wrote one of my former students from Florida. “We must stop racial profiling.”

For anyone who doesn’t think racial profiling happens, I can assure you it does happen. For a sanity check, I stopped by the mayor’s house and asked him, “Do I look like a criminal?” Mayor Bill Heidemann said no and shook his head in disbelief. I appreciate the mayor being a good neighbor, but why should he need to verify that I am not a menace to society?

I refuse to let this incident ruin my life. As I was finishing my walk and listening to Urban Praise radio, I encountered an elderly white woman who asked if I would like some roses. She gave me a half-dozen roses. It was a random act of kindness and that’s why I call Janet Herbison of Gemini Peach and Rose Farm in Denton a good Samaritan. That evening I had dinner with neighbors.

The more often we talk and get to know people as humans, the stronger we will become as a nation. We are all part of the human race.

Dorothy Bland is the dean of the Frank W. and Sue Mayborn School of Journalism and the director for the Frank W. Mayborn Graduate Institute of Journalism at the University of North Texas. Reach her at [email protected].

Yes. In the words of Sal Ruibal, “Walking while black is a crime in many jurisdictions. May God have mercy on our nation.”

Comment

I guess her right to walk in the middle of the road is the same as alot of Walmart shoppers I see... expecting ya to run into them or say something.

Jeez.
                    SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post
                      at the moment they asked for id they changed the dynamic if there story was true ie just wanting her to get out of the road then once that is done nothing else should of occurred. I am not doubting the police story but this kind of stuff just feeds the stero type of police harassing blacks.

heck most whites would annoyed with being detained for jay walking. come on we all make jokes about it.
                      Did you read the article? The police chief describes the ID check as standard procedure.

"Walthall said the officers were correct to ask for identification because Bland had committed a Class C misdemeanor by impeding traffic.

“It is part of the standard procedure,” Walthall said. “There’s a legitimate purpose for doing so. She [Bland] did commit a misdemeanor. I want our officers checking ID’s on every person they encounter in situations such as this." "

Isn't this part of what a good cop does? Patrol the neighborhood and make sure people are safe? Both cops were extremely respectful and acted very professional. The one cop's comment about his dog not liking the rain either was just him making small talk. What annoys me most about this is that the cops were just doing their job and she writes an article painting them as racists. Basically she profiled them as racists solely because they are white cops. What a bigot!

Comment

And by the way, neither cop pointed out she had technically committed a misdemeanor by impeding traffic. They were cool and let it slide. And she rewards them like this?

Comment

Originally posted by craven View Post

90% + of the jay walking tickets written in my area are in the downtown business area and around the major University.

If she is a college professor I would expect she is around the university in her area.

I saw a motorcycle accident that was caused by a jay walker. The jay walker ended up with fractured legs. The motorcycle rider with a skull fracture. So jay walking can be a major issue.
                          "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
                          Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

I live near Elon University. They walk where they damn well like. It's a hazard for normal people to use the same area driving.

Now, I hear that Elon is a class act college.... getting only the best of the best, ect., blah, blah!

If these are the best.... the Country is in trouble. The idiots can't even look up from their phones long enough to keep to the center of the sidewalk, let alone checking their proximity with cars.

GG

Comment

Did you read the article? The police chief describes the ID check as standard procedure.

"Walthall said the officers were correct to ask for identification because Bland had committed a Class C misdemeanor by impeding traffic.

“It is part of the standard procedure,” Walthall said. “There’s a legitimate purpose for doing so. She [Bland] did commit a misdemeanor. I want our officers checking ID’s on every person they encounter in situations such as this." "

Isn't this part of what a good cop does? Patrol the neighborhood and make sure people are safe? Both cops were extremely respectful and acted very professional. The one cop's comment about his dog not liking the rain either was just him making small talk. What annoys me most about this is that the cops were just doing their job and she writes an article painting them as racists. Basically she profiled them as racists solely because they are white cops. What a bigot!
                              no it not what a good cop does if you already have a whole population which thinks you are harassing them for any little infraction you really should not be doing what they are doing.

your annoyed because you feel they are doing there jobs while a significant part of the population feels they are being harassed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X