U.S. weighing 'direct action on the ground' in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. weighing 'direct action on the ground' in Iraq

Back when President Obama promised no boots on the ground, only air strikes; many people here pointed out that it wouldn't work. President supporters claimed that it would work.

The President sent over 3,000 'no boots on the ground' to Iraq. We had our first direct action KIA this past week. Now the Administration is considering:

The U.S. is considering increasing its attacks on ISIS through more ground action and airstrikes, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Tuesday.

Carter told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the U.S. "won't hold back" from supporting partners carrying out such attacks or from "conducting such missions directly, whether by strikes from the air or direct action on the ground."

The White House, however, has yet to make a decision on the options for upping the campaign against ISIS, according to defense and administration sources. They said that further involvement on the ground was one of the possibilities being presented.

The ground option Carter mentioned to the committee was part of a three-prong effort -- which he dubbed the "three Rs" -- to adapt the U.S. policy on countering ISIS.

In addition to increased ground action and airstrikes, or "raids," Carter also spoke of the need to increase pressure around the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa in Syria, where "we will support moderate Syrian forces" fighting the terror organization there.

The last "R" is Ramadi, the capital of Iraq's Anbar province, where Carter said the U.S. would do more in terms of providing assistance and fire support to local Iraqi forces to take on ISIS.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politi...ing/index.html

I hope he gives the Commanders the ability to de-conflict the battle space with the Russians.
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Assad is an *******. But he's more stable than ISIS. I say we should let Syria go for it with Russian help and work with the Russians to minimize and eliminate the Iranian influence.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I agree. All Obama will do it keep the useless war going for another ten years or more. The Russians will at least fight it fairly realistically.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

And, expect more talk like this.. Really, really tough talk too... From the Obama administration regarding ISIS and Syria. Now, actual action? Not a chance...

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
          Back when President Obama promised no boots on the ground, only air strikes; many people here pointed out that it wouldn't work. President supporters claimed that it would work.

The President sent over 3,000 'no boots on the ground' to Iraq. We had our first direct action KIA this past week. Now the Administration is considering:

The U.S. is considering increasing its attacks on ISIS through more ground action and airstrikes, Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said Tuesday.

Carter told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the U.S. "won't hold back" from supporting partners carrying out such attacks or from "conducting such missions directly, whether by strikes from the air or direct action on the ground."

The White House, however, has yet to make a decision on the options for upping the campaign against ISIS, according to defense and administration sources. They said that further involvement on the ground was one of the possibilities being presented.

The ground option Carter mentioned to the committee was part of a three-prong effort -- which he dubbed the "three Rs" -- to adapt the U.S. policy on countering ISIS.

In addition to increased ground action and airstrikes, or "raids," Carter also spoke of the need to increase pressure around the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa in Syria, where "we will support moderate Syrian forces" fighting the terror organization there.

The last "R" is Ramadi, the capital of Iraq's Anbar province, where Carter said the U.S. would do more in terms of providing assistance and fire support to local Iraqi forces to take on ISIS.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/politi...ing/index.html

I hope he gives the Commanders the ability to de-conflict the battle space with the Russians.
          What Russian's are in Iraq?
          “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
          “To talk of many things:
          Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
          Of cabbages—and kings—
          And why the sea is boiling hot—
          And whether pigs have wings.”
          ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Everyone is talking about Syria when the article clearly addresses the Iraqi Front.
            First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

What? Again?

GG
              "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                The ones de-conflicting with Iran, Iraq, and Syria:

American officials knew that a group of Russian military officers were in Baghdad, but they were clearly surprised when the Iraqi military’s Joint Operations Command announced the intelligence sharing accord on Sunday.

It was another sign that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia was moving ahead with a sharply different tack from that of the Obama administration in battling the Islamic State, also known as ISIS or ISIL, by assembling a rival coalition that includes Iran and the Syrian government.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/28/wo...iran.html?_r=0
                "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                  Everyone is talking about Syria when the article clearly addresses the Iraqi Front.
                  You should study modern warfare.

Comment

http://www.dailystormer.com/iraq-say...o-send-troops/

The Iraqi government never asked for and does not need any US involvement in ground operations against Islamic State terrorists. The eye-opening statement came only a day after the Pentagon promised its partner more ground support if it was required.

This is an Iraqi affair and the government did not ask the US Department of Defense to be involved in direct operations,” spokesman Sa’ad al-Hadithi told NBC News. “We have enough soldiers on the ground.”

Hadithi made it clear that any involvement of US forces that stretches beyond their “train and advise” mission must be cleared with Baghdad – as mandated under international law.

Thus far Iraq has only cleared a US air campaign over its territory against Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL). For now, Hadithi stressed, Iraq only needs US support in “arming and training [Iraqi] forces.” Around 3,300 US troops are involved in the mission in Iraq.
                    "We have no white flag."

Comment

You should study modern warfare.
                      He doesn't know anything about warfare, that's why he shouldn't even post in this thread, Wife screaming to husband, " James Lewis, you get away from that wheelbarrow, you know you doesn't know nothing about machinery ".
                      Last edited by Trung Si; 30 Oct 15, 09:03.
                      Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Three Rs?

1)Raqqa - Syria - Capitol of ISIS
                        2)Rebels - Syria
                        3)Ramadi - Capitol of Anbar Province - Currently the largest struggle by Iraqi Government forces against ISLAMIC STATE OF IRAQ and SYRIA.
                        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

In other words, it's OK with Iraq if America foots the bills and provides all the good stuff like weapons and ammo, while they through it all away joining their Muslim brethren in the Great Caliphate.

I say again, let the Russians do it. They had ten years of practical experience just in Afghanistan alone...and they lost.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

CE, the above is what you put in Bold when you asked the below question.

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                            You also didn't reply to my answer so I figured that you were okay with it regarding the Russians.

Professionally you know as well as many here that de-conflicting the battle space is going to be difficult,

A lesson in modern warfare:

The United States is set to deploy troops on the ground in Syria for the first time to advise and assist rebel forces combating ISIS, the White House said Friday.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said that the U.S. would be deploying "less than 50" Special Operations forces, who will be sent to Kurdish-controlled territory in northern Syria. The American troops will help local Kurdish and Arab forces fighting ISIS with logistics and are planning to bolster their efforts.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/30/politi...ces/index.html

Comment

I don't want to spend one more drop of US blood or one more penny on either of those places. I would 'donate' some W88s though. Isis's capitol would be a good place to start. Then let it be known that anywhere they get control of would be next...
                              Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
                              X