No announcement yet.

Trudeau Tells Obama He's Pulling Canada Out of Bombing Campaign Against ISIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trudeau Tells Obama He's Pulling Canada Out of Bombing Campaign Against ISIS

Justin Trudeau, who won a sweeping majority government on Monday, will pull Canada's fighter jets out of Iraq and Syria just over a year after Ottawa began the bombing campaign.

Canada's new prime minister informed President Barack Obama of his decision over the phone on Tuesday afternoon, he told a press conference in Ottawa.

While Trudeau said that the American president understood his need to follow-through on his promise to withdraw Canada's air force from the mission, the White House nevertheless indicated on Tuesday morning that it wanted Canada to continue dropping bombs.

In the White House's read-out of the call, there is no mention of Trudeau's decision to pull Canada's CF-18 fighter jets.

While Trudeau wouldn't give a timeline, he said he would bring Canada's planes home in a "responsible way."

The leader of the Liberal Party, who won a staggering victory on Oct. 19, had promised repeatedly during the campaign that he would withdraw Canada's offensive capabilities from the fight against the Islamic State (IS) militants.
    Vice - Full Article

Fighting evil is hardly something the Left likes to do. Usually, they are championing it instead...

Comment

The retreat of the Canadians won't have any serious impact on the war against ISIS. I believe they only have seven fighter jets, two surveillance aircraft, and a refueling plane there. Their presence was more symbolic.
      Last edited by taco; 20 Oct 15, 19:18.
      To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. - George Santayana

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
        Fighting evil is hardly something the Left likes to do. Usually, they are championing it instead...
        Yes it would be a wonderful world if it were not for the violent patriarchal western ideological genocide. As with all conspiracy theories the left can point to a few grains of truth in this world view. Failure to identify IS as the greatest danger to Human Rights the world is currently experiencing however is hard to explain.
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Originally posted by taco View Post
          The retreat of the Canadians won't have any serious impact on the war against ISIS. I believe they only have seven fighter jets, two surveillance aircraft, and a refueling plane there. Their presence was more symbolic.
          What's more telling to me is that Canadians were so worried or offended about 10 aircraft that it became a campaign issue in the first place. Are they so afraid of losing one that it's too much for them or do they just feel that bad about bombing someone in the first place? I mean I know parties like that hate the military in general but you'd think IS would be enough to get them over it. I mean they're almost the perfect bad guys, they have no redeeming qualities, well except for the fact that they're Muslim which makes the left's guilt senses tingle.
          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

...except the Quebecois...

Well, first of all, Canadians simply feel 'it's just not polite' to bomb anyone without their permission...
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
              Well, first of all, Canadians simply feel 'it's just not polite' to bomb anyone without their permission...
              Yeah, turns out people are not so fond of military actions, interventions etc. anywhere. Who would have guessed, except for Canadians of course.
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Uh oh Canada...now you've done it. Canadian bacon shall be renamed "Freedom bacon" and maple syrup is to be poured down the sewer....you ungrateful band of Molson-binging, Pull-out Monkeys!!!
                You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by taco View Post
                  Probably more 'in-the-way' than anything.

Heck of a symbol now... we won't bomb terrorist/extremist.
                  SPORTS FREAK/ PANZERBLITZ COMMANDER/ CC2 COMMANDER

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                    A politician who actually intends to keep his campaign promises? Is there no honor left in the world?
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
                      Uh oh Canada...now you've done it. Canadian bacon shall be renamed "Freedom bacon" and maple syrup is to be poured down the sewer....you ungrateful band of Molson-binging, Pull-out Monkeys!!!
                      The proper term is Maple Monkeys.

Comment

There is something odd about this, though. I mean, Trudeau welcomed the news of his party's win by tweeting "it’s time for Canada to once again work constructively with its allies, and announcing, “I want to say this to this country’s friends around the world: Many of you have worried that Canada has lost its compassionate and constructive voice in the world over the past 10 years. Well, I have a simple message for you on behalf of 35 million Canadians. We’re back.” There are those who believe that fighting ISIS is the most pressing priority on the global community's plate at the moment -- so how is the previous quoted rhetoric remotely consistent with Trudeau pulling Canada's air assets out of the anti-ISIS fight?
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          There is something odd about this, though. I mean, Trudeau welcomed the news of his party's win by tweeting "it’s time for Canada to once again work constructively with its allies, and announcing, “I want to say this to this country’s friends around the world: Many of you have worried that Canada has lost its compassionate and constructive voice in the world over the past 10 years. Well, I have a simple message for you on behalf of 35 million Canadians. We’re back.” There are those who believe that fighting ISIS is the most pressing priority on the global community's plate at the moment -- so how is the previous quoted rhetoric remotely consistent with Trudeau pulling Canada's air assets out of the anti-ISIS fight?
                          Maybe he sees an indefinite bombing campaign as a fruitless endeavor when there's nothing to back it up on the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                            Maybe he sees an indefinite bombing campaign as a fruitless endeavor when there's nothing to back it up on the ground?
                            Maybe he has no intention of committing Canadian ground forces to the War on Terror as his predecessor did in Afghanistan . . . . .

Maybe Trudeau is right -- that participating in the War on Terror is not in Canada's best interests -- or maybe he's wrong, but withdrawing from the fight is not at all consistent with "we're back." Right off the bat, his rhetoric is diametrically opposed by his actions.
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Remember that Canada has a recent Islamic terror hit in its collective memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_s...t_Hill,_Ottawa

Those doing the bombing in Syria and Iraq are going to be a higher priority on the Islamic hit list.

We have seen Spain tuck tail and run after Islamic terror attacks too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_M...train_bombings

I'm not saying for sure that fear played a part but it may have done.
                              Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X