Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise in the House Speaker Race Rep McCarthy drops out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprise in the House Speaker Race Rep McCarthy drops out!

Rep McCarthy, the leading contender for Speaker has dropped out. Did not believe he had enough support. Election postponed.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/25...-speakers-race

Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has dropped out of elections for House Speaker, shocking Capitol Hill and raising questions about who will lead the House Republican Conference.

Republicans were to meet Thursday at noon to elect a new Speaker. Instead, they received the surprising news from McCarthy.
    Things are getting nuts.
    “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
    “To talk of many things:
    Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
    Of cabbages—and kings—
    And why the sea is boiling hot—
    And whether pigs have wings.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

Well, you generally want a speaker who can speak...

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
      Well, you generally want a speaker who can speak...
      Hey, he spoke quite plainly....

The interesting thing is he had more support than any of the other two....
      “To talk of many things:
      Of cabbages—and kings—
      ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

I think he inadvertently spoke the truth about the Benghazi investigation run by Trey Goudy. It’s the eighth one, right? The others never did find anything, so they decided to run another one and I think that McCarthy spoke the truth about it being instigated to keep Hillary down. Now they have to punish him for it. I think if it was not the truth they would have reacted a little less vehemently. They would just have said, “Oh, that Kevin, he just misspeaks all the time, just a little slip of the tongue.” But if it was the truth, then they had to react in a harsh way. Plus I understand that Goudy felt a little betrayed by McCarthy, and said he “screwed up’.

http://factivists.democrats.org/the-...y-have-missed/

http://www.pensitoreview.com/2014/11...y-is-underway/

http://www.hotbeak.com/politics/2015...l#.VhanMVTnWpc

Rachel Maddow, the last few nights, has been playing and replaying McCarthy’s slip-up and many examples of his inability to speak in a grammatical way. He just did not come across as the brightest bulb out there in the halls of Congress.
        Homo homini lupus

Comment

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
          I think he inadvertently spoke the truth about the Benghazi investigation run by Trey Goudy. It’s the eighth one, right? The others never did find anything,
          Naturally they found nothing, information was withheld. 41 witnesses, 7 eyewitnesses, 50,000 pages of documents......all withheld from the earlier panels:

This committee has interviewed 41 witnesses no other committee interviewed. Seven were eyewitnesses to the attacks. We have reviewed 50,000 pages of documents never before given to Congress — including the emails of top State Department personnel. And, for the first time, State is committed to finally providing all Ambassador Stevens’ emails by week’s end.

Secretary Clinton was in charge at all times relevant to our inquiry, so of course we need her public record and testimony. But she is one witness. Her emails make up 5% of what the committee has.

It is true other panels conducted Benghazi inquiries. It is equally true they failed to interview dozens of key witnesses, failed to access all information and inexcusably missed Clinton’s exclusive use of private email on her personal server for official business.

The House Intelligence Committee report has been wrongly used to clear the administration. As the author, former Rep. Mike Rogers, said, “Some have said the report exonerates the State Department and White House. It does not.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...ates/73548846/
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
            Naturally they found nothing, information was withheld. 41 witnesses, 7 eyewitnesses, 50,000 pages of documents......all withheld from the earlier panels:

This committee has interviewed 41 witnesses no other committee interviewed. Seven were eyewitnesses to the attacks. We have reviewed 50,000 pages of documents never before given to Congress — including the emails of top State Department personnel. And, for the first time, State is committed to finally providing all Ambassador Stevens’ emails by week’s end.

Secretary Clinton was in charge at all times relevant to our inquiry, so of course we need her public record and testimony. But she is one witness. Her emails make up 5% of what the committee has.

It is true other panels conducted Benghazi inquiries. It is equally true they failed to interview dozens of key witnesses, failed to access all information and inexcusably missed Clinton’s exclusive use of private email on her personal server for official business.

The House Intelligence Committee report has been wrongly used to clear the administration. As the author, former Rep. Mike Rogers, said, “Some have said the report exonerates the State Department and White House. It does not.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...ates/73548846/
            Already have a thread about this, please don't cover it in this one.
            “To talk of many things:
            Of cabbages—and kings—
            ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
              Already have a thread about this, please don't cover it in this one.
              I was responding to Jannie's post, maybe you should take it up with her.
              "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                I was responding to Jannie's post, maybe you should take it up with her.
                She put forward that this might be the reason he dropped out, i.e on topic. You did not mention anything at all about the topic, Rep McCarthy dropping out. Distinct difference.

She is actually on point, Rep McCarthy stated that it was a factor in his decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...house-speaker/

McCarthy addressed questions about whether his statement on the Select Committee on Benghazi — indicating its goal was to nick Hillary Clinton’s poll numbers — was too damaging.

“Well, that wasn’t helpful. I could have said it much better.” McCarthy admitted, adding he “should not be a distraction” from the panel finding the “truth.” “That’s part of the decision as well.”
                “To talk of many things:
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Engineer View Post
                  She put forward that this might be the reason he dropped out, i.e on topic. You did not mention anything at all about the topic, Rep McCarthy dropping out. Distinct difference.

She is actually on point, Rep McCarthy stated that it was a factor in his decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...house-speaker/
                  I responded to this:

Originally posted by Jannie View Post
                  The others never did find anything, so they decided to run another one and I think that McCarthy spoke the truth about it being instigated to keep Hillary down.
                  She placed it in this thread, her information was wrong as my post clearly shows. You can't skirt around the facts regarding the additional information that this investigation has uncovered.

My post is relevant to this thread.

Comment

Seriously? How many nits can you guys pick?

So who is next in line to try for Speaker of the House? Isn't that position one of the fall-backs for the presidency? I hope that whomever is (elected?) to that post has the integrity to fill it with honesty, vigor, equanimity and fairness.
                    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post

So who is next in line to try for Speaker of the House? Isn't that position one of the fall-backs for the presidency? I hope that whomever is (elected?) to that post has the integrity to fill it with honesty, vigor, equanimity and fairness.
                      You're hoping for what now?

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post

Nits ITCH!, you have to pick them... plus it's fun. Beats reply to many of the threads floating about the US section.
                        “To talk of many things:
                        Of cabbages—and kings—
                        ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Bring Newt back...
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Hmmmm
                            from:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...o-replace-him/

In a curious development, Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., also sent a letter to House Republican Conference Chairwoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers, R-Wash., urging a full vetting of all leadership candidates to avoid a repeat of 1998, when the conference selected then-Rep. Bob Livingston in November to succeed outgoing House Speaker Newt Gingrich. It then emerged Livingston had been conducting an affair. Jones asked that any candidate who has committed "misdeeds" withdraw.
                            Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              Bring Newt back...
                              If he escapes Jail you can have Hastert back..
                              “To talk of many things:
                              Of cabbages—and kings—
                              ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X