Crassus Trump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crassus Trump?

Heard Robert Harris the historical novelist (Fatherland, Enigma etc) on the Beeb this morning discussing Dictator his last novel on Cicero. He was identifying the nearest modern equivalents of some of some of the players in the last days of the Roman Republic. Julius Caesar he reckoned was a psychopath matching Hitler (or Napoleon) and Pompey a US four star general (the description sounded very like MacArthur). He reckoned the third member of the triumvirate Crassus has his nearest modern equivalent in Donald Trump (with a different hairstyle). Crassus some may have picked up from various accounts was stinking rich, acquired his fortune through some very dubious business practices and tried to buy his way into power. Comments?
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Now Napoleon is a 'psychopath'? Give us all a break with the ahistorical psychobabble...

Have you been reading Schom or Barnett perhaps with their error-ridden ideas on Napoleon?

Sincerely,
    M
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
      Now Napoleon is a 'psychopath'? Give us all a break with the ahistorical psychobabble...

Have you been reading Schom or Barnett perhaps with their error-ridden ideas on Napoleon?

Sincerely,
      M
      Don't over react I was merely quoting the Harris interview
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
        Don't over react I was merely quoting the Harris interview
        Why quote something that is obviously nonsense and inaccurate?

And you did ask to 'discuss.'

And it isn't 'overreacting', it's incredulity in giving such inaccuracy a pulpit.

Sincerely,
        M
        Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

Sincerely,
          M
          psychopath seems to fit Napoleon very well.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
            psychopath seems to fit Napoleon very well.
            How?

Sincerely,
            M

Comment

To bypass the nit-picking and return to the OP... I don't think that Donald Trump is trying to "buy" the election. He does seem to be using his own sources of capital to fund his endeavor but I think that just makes him able to put forth his own views rather than those of a PAC , a religious sect or a large contributor to a political campaign.
              As to being compared to a wealthy Roman of the first century, one could draw a similarity but were the Roman citizens allowed to vote for high office? I thought only the Senate was allowed to pick a leader. (unless said leader murdered his way to the top)
              ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
              IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I don't think Trump qualifies as a Crassus avatar. The parameters are too vague and virtually all-inclusive of politicians and the rich.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Maybe if trump leads an expedition against the east which costs him his son, and his head, later to be plated in gold and used as a drinking vessel, then we can consider Trump a 21st century Crassus.

Though it would be funny.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

I think that Sir Laurence Olivier would have had his acting talents sorely tested if he tried to play Trump.

(Vide; the film Spartacus)
                    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                    Samuel Johnson.

Comment

^Are you saying that Trump likes both oysters and clams?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                        ^Are you saying that Trump likes both oysters and clams?
                        Very good !

I wouldn't know.
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Julius Caesar he reckoned was a psychopath matching Hitler
                          No wonder his novels were so uninspired.

Trump = Crassus because they both had lots of money? No, sorry, that's just sophistry. But I suppose that the same people who thought it was a wonderful idea to give Obama a Nobel Peace prize for not being George Bush will also spend a great deal of time and effort telling us not to vote for Trump... for the next 13 months I'm sure it will be something new every 2 days.

"Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                            Very good !

I wouldn't know.
                            Hey Tony Curtis: how are you with the lyre?

Comment

Crassus would be insulted. Trump is worth a measly $10 billion. By contrast, according to Mike, the Great, Duncan of the history of Rome podcast Crassus was worth the equivalent of $500 billion.
                              "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X