Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Is Enough Enough?

Point to ponder:
    One failed attempt at a shoe bomb and we all need to take our shoes off before we can board an aircraft.
    Since Columbine school shooting, there have been 31 other school shootings and NO change to gun laws or regulations in our country!
    That is disgusting!!!
    Our children and grandchildren stand a far greater chance of being shot by a schoolmate than being the victim of a terrorist attack. Look at our efforts to fight terrorism by foreign and domestic sources, the manpower, the money, etc. and compare that to what are we doing to prevent these mass shootings in schools, churches, theatres, malls, even military bases. We are doing nothing and that is disgusting!!!
    "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
    - Col. David Hackworth

Since the efforts are aimed at Gun control instead of what would cause an individual to shoot innocent people or having well trained officials or private security patrol our schools, the problem will remain disgusting.

Comment

My question to those who think "gun control" is the answer to everything, what do you mean be that? Exactly what legal changes should be made?
      "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

What should we be doing? I am genuinely curious as to what you think should be done?
        "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

And in every school shooting the owner of the firearm was not prosecuted. Right? That should tell you something. Dumb people need control not guns. Enforce the law!!!
          My worst jump story:
          My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
          As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
          No lie.

~
          "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikeye View Post
            Since the efforts are aimed at Gun control instead of what would cause an individual to shoot innocent people or having well trained officials or private security patrol our schools, the problem will remain disgusting.
            I disagree; let's take a close look at the Second Amendment.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
            1) Notice that the opening words are ""A well regulated Militia." The key word is regulated so I fail to see how regulating guns would somehow infringe upon the intent of the Second Amendment.

2) Notice that the amendment further states that "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms , shall not be infringed." Any elementary school student can point out that this phrase is written at the plural rather then the individual level. That is because the Second Amendment was written in the 18th Century, when the aforementioned "well regulated militia" was made up of private citizens who were called to duty with their privately owned arms. I could make an argument that since the individual state governors are the commanding officers of their state's National Guard Units (previously known as the state's militia) that no amount of regulation infringes upon the people's right to bear arms.
            Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
            Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post

1) Notice that the opening words are ""A well regulated Militia." The key word is regulated so I fail to see how regulating guns would somehow infringe upon the intent of the Second Amendment.

2) Notice that the amendment further states that "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms , shall not be infringed." Any elementary school student can point out that this phrase is written at the plural rather then the individual level. That is because the Second Amendment was written in the 18th Century, when the aforementioned "well regulated militia" was made up of private citizens who were called to duty with their privately owned arms. I could make an argument that since the individual state governors are the commanding officers of their state's National Guard Units (previously known as the state's militia) that no amount of regulation infringes upon the people's right to bear arms.
              That's the oldest gun control argument in the book. Too bad the storms
              Supreme Court ruled long ago that the second amendment refers to an individual right and it only appears collective if you try and apply modern meaning to something written in 18th century language.
              "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

I'm no grammar expert, but doesn't the wording of the 2nd Amendment imply a dual definition? I would argue there is a clause, 1 & 2, which I believe gives this amendment two distinct purposes: one to maintain a "militia" (today's national guard), and second to ensure a population is proficient in the responsible use - and responsible ownership - of firearms.

If we are to follow your example, wouldn't this imply that the 2nd is in fact being broken by allowing the general population to NOT engage in firearms training for a Militia if private ownership of firearms were illegal?
                You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

The SCOTUS has already ruled on that and does not agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
                    Point to ponder:
                    One failed attempt at a shoe bomb and we all need to take our shoes off before we can board an aircraft.
                    Since Columbine school shooting, there have been 31 other school shootings and NO change to gun laws or regulations in our country!
                    That is disgusting!!!
                    Our children and grandchildren stand a far greater chance of being shot by a schoolmate than being the victim of a terrorist attack. Look at our efforts to fight terrorism by foreign and domestic sources, the manpower, the money, etc. and compare that to what are we doing to prevent these mass shootings in schools, churches, theatres, malls, even military bases. We are doing nothing and that is disgusting!!!
                    While we are pondering, what do you suggest we do?

Comment

. . . .

That only works if one chooses to define "the people" in a rather Soviet manner. The governor is not the people. The National Guard is not the people. The police are not the people. People are the people: private individual citizens. Government agents are not the people.

Long may that be the case.
                      I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

From the US Census 2012 Statistical Abstract...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Point to ponder:
                          That is disgusting!!!
                          The clear answer is to shut down the Dept. of Homeland Security, disband the TSA and return all of DHS' useful functions to their original departments.
                          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Point to ponder:
                            That is disgusting!!!

Murders have steadily declined while gun ownership has steadily risen in that time period.

Guns do not equal murder.
                            For example, gun ownership was illegal in Chicago.
                            Now that it is legal murders have continued to decline.
                            Legal gun ownership isn't the problem.

Insane people are the cause of the attacks you mention, not legal gun ownership.
                            Avatar is General Gerard, courtesy of Zouave.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.

Comment

Point to ponder:
                              That is disgusting!!!
                              My question is: Why aren't we telling the TSA, enough is enough and reducing the stupidity necessary to get on an airplane?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X