Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Our Constitution still relevant?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Our nation was never intended to be a "democracy" ...
    The American Form of Government

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=DioQooFIcgE
    Though ten minutes long, very informative and relevant to this thread.


    Some related resources linked here;
    http://whatcomteaparty.org/education/
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by G David Bock View Post
      Our nation was never intended to be a "democracy" ...
      The American Form of Government

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=DioQooFIcgE
      Though ten minutes long, very informative and relevant to this thread.


      Some related resources linked here;
      http://whatcomteaparty.org/education/
      Yes, it was supposed to be an oligarchy dominated by the self-serving landed gentry.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
        Yes, it was supposed to be an oligarchy dominated by the self-serving landed gentry.
        I understand your point but it was also intended to be a system where the interest of the majority did not override the rights of minorities. Democracies have a nasty habit of behaving like a mob.
        We hunt the hunters

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
          I understand your point but it was also intended to be a system where the interest of the majority did not override the rights of minorities. Democracies have a nasty habit of behaving like a mob.
          But there is literally no way in which a Republic is inherently more protective of minorities than a Democracy. It all depends on the rule of law established at the outset. Transferring our power from our hands to an oligarchy doesn't suddenly make the government more responsible or law-abiding.

          Comment

          Latest Topics

          Collapse

          Working...
          X