Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Amendment - 21st Century employ/app ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Amendment - 21st Century employ/app ...

Ironically, had an event here tonight where USA 2nd Amendment and personal firearm possession proved handy ...

We live out in "the country", about 10 miles North of the City of Bellingham, about 3-4 miles South of the town of Lynden, out in unincorporated County and about 15-20 minutes from Sheriff response.

Our house sets on a two-lane blacktop that is main arterial for mid-country traffic moving West~East. We happen to be about midpoint from the two major intersections of the North~South arterials of "the Guide-Meridian" and "the Hannegan". Our house is the classic 60-70's three-bedroom starter-rambler of about 1000 square feet and back then siting the front of house within 60 feet of the road was acceptable. We are a bit close to both the vehicle and 'foot' traffic hence an occasional after dark episode at the front door.

We set within the middle of several homes/houses on our side of the road, a small cluster on a long stretch of country road. My "man-cave"~spare bedroom faces the road and when in there with light on, seem to be an incentive on occasion for foot traffic to decide to knock on the door.

Had one of "Those" happen this evening. Sitting in my room having a smoke(pipe) while engaged in something, notice a "stranger" at the door ~ So I grab a pistol and holding behind my back open the front door to see what is up. He's a young Hispanic guy, maybe late 20s, has a tale about an auto accident over on the corner of the Guide and his vehicle towed away and now hoofing it towards home, asks if he can borrow the phone to make a call or two, which I let him and then encourage him on his way to the next intersection about a mile East where this is a restaurant still open this early in the evening, (it's about 7:50 but dark already) which I advise him might be a better place to find a ride. His phone call results were that his friend's vehicle was being borrowed by someone and not available, this conversation in Spanish and I couldn't follow much of it.

Now just before opening the door and right after, I'm scanning the area outside, across the street and in front of neighbor's to make sure there is no "strange" vehicles parked nearby, or cluster of other people around. During some of the interaction I slipped the pistol into my backpocket to free my other hand, but remained on guard.

Perhaps I should offer a total stranger a ride (), but would like have to have wife ride along as shotgun - literally, however she was just about done fixing diner and we were ready to eat.

This isn't the first time strangers have been at the door at odd hours with semi-plausible stories and underscores that country living could offer two-legged varmints as well as four legged ones.

I feel a more confident and secure answering the door in such situations with a pistol than I would with a kitchen knife or baseball bat.

Now to listen to some of the posters on this board you'd think the moment that pistol got into my hands I'd be overwhelmed with a raging desire to use and would be itching to shoot away at the stranger(s) at the door. Far from the case and I try to keep the fact that I'm armed low-key and concealed as best as possible.

BTW, meant to post and start this last night, got interrupted with diner and it being my birthday ....

Yet one of the tens of thousands of events each month where firearms ensure safety and peace of mind. Well done!
    Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

I live in a totally rural location and have remote surveillance on my driveway. It's a 1/4 mile long and I've got time to get ready. Not much chance for surprise.

I usually greet them with a 'Allow are you lost?' and direct them to the right path. I do keep my right hand behind my back because I don't want to threaten people with the fact that I'm armed. The dogs tend to keep them inside their car. (Who wants pit bulls jumping in their car?)

This works to put the fear of dog in potential thieves...
      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

About the same here, but the dogs are the "remote surveillance - that and the loose, crunchy gravel that surfaces the entire drive and is loud enough to hear in the house.

Also posted against trespassing, which gives random "visitors" pause if the consider just dropping in, and the law likes it when the property is posted.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I wish I could get away with gravel. Mine is paved (Black top.) Costs a pretty penny to re-coat as well. It's too much of a grade to get away with gravel. Also when it rains out here it pours. It'd wash out real quick in a wet winter. (Which I'm hoping for.)

I should find some rich bastard to buy me out. I'd like to be rid of this white elephant. (At a substantial profit btw...)

Call me greedy, but I consider it frugal...
          Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Happy Birthday and congrats on the good outcome.

But all sides in the debate will have a ready supply of examples, anecdotes and exceptions to the rule to "prove" their point.

More guns in general inescapably means more guns available for the mentally disturbed, more accidents, more lethal road rage and bad neighbors incidents, more impulsive suicides and most of all, cheap and easily obtained guns for criminals.

Comment

My wife was on her way home from a conference and stopped at a Sheetz....which is a very well lit store and this one isn't in a bad area. She's a CCW holder and I'm always getting on her about not carrying as she had been pretty lax about it....though when we're together I understand since I'm carrying enough for the both of us.

She noticed a guy eyeing her when she went into the store to grab a drink and use the bathroom. On her way out this stranger approached her and started following her to her car. He then started calling out to her trying to get her to stop and talk to him. She basically told him "I'm not talking to you, and I have a gun".....at which point he just turned and hurried out of the parking lot on foot. Now we don't know what he was up to, but based on my training and experience, a man approaching a lone woman at night in a parking lot and trying to get her to stop before she's reached her car is consistent with a wide range of possible criminal activities. Considering that if he did have something legitimate to say, he could have as easily approached her in the store. The finisher for me that the subject was up to no legitimate purpose was that when she said that she was armed, he not only stopped, but also fled the scene. Plenty of people in our area are CCW holders, so were his purpose legitimate he had the chance to stop advancing and explain himself.....that he not only stopped advancing but also fled immediately and without appearing to have patronized the store he was hanging out in front of when she arrived sends massive red flags that he was up to no lawful purpose.
              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
                Happy Birthday and congrats on the good outcome.

But all sides in the debate will have a ready supply of examples, anecdotes and exceptions to the rule to "prove" their point....
                These are being told by people who post here that have happened to them recently.

If you have something from your own recent past that shows guns in a positive or negative light, then post away.
                That's the topic.

Comment

Just because you have a deadly weapon that doesn't mean you can point it at anyone you please. If some jumpy person views me as a threat and opens fire I'm pretty sure that's attempted murder. If you make a bad judgement and shoot an innocent person you should be punished correct?
                  First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                    Just because you have a deadly weapon that doesn't mean you can point it at anyone you please. If some jumpy person views me as a threat and opens fire I'm pretty sure that's attempted murder. If you make a bad judgement and shoot an innocent person you should be punished correct?
                    That IS the law, last I checked.

and a word to the wise, or anyone else looking at this;
                    Only point a gun directly at someone you intend to shoot.
                    Not someone you are ready to shoot
                    Not someone you are trying to ward off or threaten.
                    ONLY those you are intending to shoot, and probably kill.

Guns you could swear were unloaded go off all the time, happens every day.

I think that more people knowing what guns are and how they work is the answer, no aping the behavior they see in the movies where people point guns at each other all the time.
                    Just "an attention-getter", don't you know?

Comment

Again it comes back to hollyweird. Maybe we should start holding them responsible for the outbreaks of violence?

The brain is a computer, GIGO?

Also programming children with ultra-violent games could play a part of it. Though I used to play cowboys and indians as a child. Idk. Maybe a return to churches and morality would help...
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Simply pointing a firearm at a person or menacing them with a weapon of some sort is variously going to be legally considered somewhere between "Communicating a threat" and aggravated assault. Until you are actually firing or using that weapon to attempt to kill or injure someone murder charges won't fly.

As for accidental shootings, those are handled on a case by case basis. How accidental was the shooting? Punishment can vary here from nothing to murder. It all depends on the circumstances.

Comment

Correct. And what you'll find is that on the whole CCW holders are quite reasonable individuals and have been made well aware of the consequences against them if they act in an unreasonable or irresponsible manner. The conditions with which you can use deadly force are well documented and explained for anyone that wants to know.

In my wife's case simply stating that she HAD a weapon was enough to make the sketchy individual decide he'd rather be elsewhere and stop harassing her or whatever else he had originally intended. And just like I told her when she called me on the road (I was working and she wasn't in my jurisdiction at the time) her weapon and CCW worked PERFECTLY.

I cannot confirm that the subject that was following her in the parking lot was a criminal, but if he was the realization that there was a Force option on the table against him was more than enough to send him scurrying.....she didn't draw, display, or threaten to use.....simply TOLD him that she had that option to defend herself.

I'm using that case from Friday night as an example of how a responsible CCW holder can act to use their defense option to preclude criminal behavior before it starts. Criminals are constantly sizing up targets (they do it with us cops too) and when they find out that their assessment is wrong and might be fatally so, they will often leave and seek a new target.....they're not combatants and they're not in danger of arrest unless they do something criminal, so they're always free to leave you alone.

As a cop I'm a bit different off duty, but then I'm still functioning in my capacity (because I'm in my jurisdiction) and I'm seeking to determine their actual intents and actions and if a Law Enforcement Action is necessary rather than just functioning as a 'blanket deterrent" like a non-LEO citizen would.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Please read closely, no one in posts prior to yours said anything about pointing or displaying a weapon/firearm.

Rules vary per State and locale, but generally there are prescribed circumstances for which display of a weapon to ward off a threat are justified.

Firing at a person when there's is no immediate threat of harm or to life is usually a crime, and shooting innocent people are also punishable offenses.

Comment

About those evil guns

EXCERPTS:
                              Barack Obama chose to ignore this last week when he politicized the shooting in Oregon: None of the shootings that he cited took place in a right-to-carry zone – in fact, all of them took place in "gun-free zones."

The lying President of the United States said this: "We know that the states with the most gun laws tend to have the fewest gun deaths. So the notion that gun laws don't work, or just will make it harder for law-abiding citizens and criminals will still get their guns is not born out by the evidence."

Right…

Only in the mind of Barack Obama.

Would the President like to attempt some fifth-grade-level research?
                              Here's 15 states with the strictest gun laws (in order): California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Rhode Island, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington.

Roseburg is in Oregon. Columbine and Aurora shootings both occurred in Colorado. California – the number-one most restrictive gun law state – is home to four of the top 30 "murder capitals." New Jersey is home to the most murderous city in the U.S. in addition to holding three of the top 30 "murder capitals." Massachusetts' sitting duck population made the Boston terror incident more likely. Connecticut was home to the Newtown tragedy. Maryland's Baltimore ranks number 11 on the top 30. Illinois, which has some of the most restrictive laws, saw Chicago top 500 murders per year in 2008 and 2012. Pennsylvania sees contributors Philadelphia and Chester both contributing to the top 30. And Michigan occupies three of the top seven top 30 slots this year, and held four of the top six last year.

The President was either fudging the numbers, or just flat making stuff up. He might have even been hiding behind the qualifier "tend to have."
                              Whatever his motivation, he was full of poppycock.
                              The truth is the more that President Obama pushes for civilian disarming, the further he goes from preventing violent crime.

In one of the earliest modern cases of "open carry," Kennesaw, Georgia – a well-known suburb of Atlanta – put "open carry" into effect in 1982. In one year, violent crime was reduced 82 percent from before the law was changed; and a full decade later, crime was still 72 percent lower than in 1981. In 2014 Quinnipiac University published the results of an exhaustive study that indicated that states that restrict concealed carry laws experience dramatically higher gun-related murder rates.

Dare we even bring up the fact that Texas this year passed a law, in effect now, that is dropping the rate of violent crime on its university campuses because it allows properly registered and certified students who already own guns to carry them on the college campus as well? In fact, be sure to check back with them in June to see what happened to the rates of campus rape, sexual assault, and petty armed burglary. But need we also remind everyone reading that the mass shooting that never occurred – the one regarding Pamela Gellar, 300 persons gathered to view cartoons of Mohammed, and two armed Muslims who drove up with the intent to slaughter everyone in attendance – was only thwarted because of legally armed citizens who held those terrorists instantly accountable?

Did the President even know that the nine states with the lowest violent crime are all right-to-carry states? Does he know that law-abiding gun owners use guns some two million times per year in stopping violent crime?
                              http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2015/.../?subscriber=1

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X