X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Vets and the Media

This article is from 2005, it is a good read:

Phony Vets and the Journalists Who Love Them
    It's hard not to be amused when it comes to the imaginary exploits of aging "Confederates" and Great War "aces" who fought the Red Baron, but the phony tales spun by modern imposters especially those who claim Vietnam service are no laughing matter. These are the frauds who, every Veterans' Day, show up at parades and at the Vietnam memorial in Washington in their rag-tag fatigues and flea market medals, telling credulous reporters that Agent Orange or Post Traumatic Stress ruined their lives, and that memories of slitting children's throats keeps them awake nights. All too often, these suffering "veterans" never set foot in Vietnam and yet, the images they offer have permanently shaped the way Americans view soldiers from this war: As slovenly, drug-addled baby-killers who loiter on America's streets when they're not committing violent crimes. Phony Vietnam vets typically tell tales of Vietnam horrors to explain and excuse their failed lives, Burkett says, and naive journalists uncritically lap them up. Much research proves that far from being homeless, alcohol-drenched failures most Vietnam vets are healthy, mentally stable, successful men who deserve their country's respect.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fake-war-stories-exposed/
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Yes, they do, but when has the media ever been concerned about facts?

The media believes them because the media's preconceived notions of what Viet Nam vets should be like.

OTH, the current wars are turning out PTSD victims like crazy.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Nothing new I'm afraid. Mayhew's London Poor and London Underworld of the 1850s chronicles stories of those pretending to be Veterans going back as far Waterloo with fake Waterloo medals and injuries etc. There were probably men limping around ancient Athens telling false tales about how they'd suffered after Marathon
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Well I didn't serve in the military and I don't pay any attention to the media. They are full of crap. I owned a cigar shop and met many vets of WW2, Korea, Viet Nam, Desert Storm and I have nothing but the highest regard for all whom served. I grew up during the 70's when damn near every movie or tv show had nothing but contempt for our VIet Nam vets and portrayed them as evil or mentally disturbed. Nothing at all like my uncles that served in Viet Nam and Korea. **** the Media and Hollywood and everything they stand for! I will always side with our Vets everyday and twice on Sunday!! I am grateful for each and everyone of you!

Comment

Look at the several phonies that have been outed on this board. There's always going to be the Walter Mitties who try and compensate for their failed dreams by claiming things they never did.

On a related note, back around 1999 I got to use the quote from Falling Down to a phony vet.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

As an aside:

You ever get the feeling that all this "Thank you for your service." yawp is really nothing more than (take your pick):

1. Guilt for NOT serving.

2. A verbal "whew" because HE didn't have to go.

3. A method by which we are called "suckers" for serving.

I really hate to feel that way, but my experience after Viet Nam vis--vis the civilian community (God LOVE their little souls!) wasn't exactly cordial. I don't think the society has changed that much.

GG
            "The will of a section rooted in self interest, should not outweigh the vital interests of a whole people." -Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain-

"Fanatics of any sort are dangerous." -GG-

Comment

Originally posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
              I really hate to feel that way, but my experience after Viet Nam vis--vis the civilian community (God LOVE their little souls!) wasn't exactly cordial. I don't think the society has changed that much.
              I agree with you on this, that is why I quoted the specific paragraph in that 4 page article.
              "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

As an aside:

You ever get the feeling that all this "Thank you for your service." yawp is really nothing more than (take your pick):

GG
                Many companies now offer 10%+ discounts to veterans with proof of service. I know I've literally saved thousands at Home Depot because of that 10% discount.
                When I did a block fence on one side of my house that saved me like $125. It was cheaper than going to the wholesale block place and putting in the order because of it.
                Now, while all the "Thank you for your service" stuff might be phony sometime, I have experienced people who are genuine about it. A few times I've been called "Chief" by someone and they asked about my service or thanked me for it in addition.

Comment

The last guy was not phony. I mean he was a veitnam veteran.
                  you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

As an aside:

GG
                    Sad to say that I agree with you, GG. The words hit me about the same way as someone who says 'gesundheit' after a sneeze...
                    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

its pretty much how you handle most people you come in contact with. Use your best judgement on an individual basis. everyone is different. A lot of the genuine appreciation I get is from people who had family or friends there.

Comment

Checkout the first link.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-06-...ietnam-veteran

Then checkout number 28 on the link below.

http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...y_matters.html

Comment

http://www.stolenvalor.com/target.cf...ink&sort=order
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X