American Extremist with Terrorist Links Detained in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Extremist with Terrorist Links Detained in Australia

Troy Newman, head of anti-abortion group Operation Rescue, has been detained after arriving in Melbourne. Newman was scheduled to speak at a number of events until the Federal Government revoked his visa several days ago. he was informed of this while changing planes in Denver, but chose to fly on to Australia despite knowing he had no valid visa. He will stay in custody for at least 24 hours while the government decides whether or not to return him to the US or let him stay during his appeal against the visa change. The airline that flew him to Australia risks a fine.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...30-gjy6a5.html

Operation Rescue has a long association with terrorism. Numerous members and former members have been involved in a variety of terrorist acts, including bombings, attacks on doctors & staff and even murder. Senior Policy advisor Cheryl Sullenger, who has co-authored a book with Newman, was convicted along with her husband & several others of attempting to bomb an abortion clinic in 1988 (the bomb was set but failed to go off). Newman has expressed a beleif that abrtion doctors should be executed & that murdering them is "is legally justified and permissible under the law". Both Sullenger & Newman had links to terrorist Scott Roeder & his murder of Dr George Tiller.

Australia has a history of banning controversial figures. Among those who have been refused entry are controversial writer, holocaust denier & anti-semite David Irving; Boxer & convicted wife beater Floyd Mayweather; Several speakers at an Islamic conference; Rapper & convicted criminal Chris Brown, who is currently appealing the revoking of his visa before a planned tour. There have been others. I have mixed views on this. I don't agree with banning someone simply because they have views I don't share, so I was opposed to the banning of Irving. I make an exception, however, for people who advocate the use of violence. People who beat up women can just get fd & should be shamed from civilized society. Given Newman's history & his choice to break Australian law simply to get attention tends me toward agreeing with the visa ban.
    Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Did the airline know he had a revoked visa at the time he boarded? It sounds like they pulled it while he was in the middle of traveling. If the travel arrangements were all set and the pilot didn't get any heads up then fining them is ridiculous.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

He was invited to Australia by Australians.

How does this make him an extremist with terrorist links?

This sounds more like pro-abortionist people not wanting pro-life people to speak.
      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post

This sounds more like pro-abortionist people not wanting pro-life people to speak.
        Haven't you heard? Obama has gone from never using the word "terrorist" to calling everyone a terrorist.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Haven't you heard? Obama has gone from never using the word "terrorist" to calling everyone a terrorist.
          That touches another aspect of this thread. Newman is a US Citizen but it is about the Australian Government banning controversial people from entering the country......

I don't see why BF posted this in the North American forum.
          "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

I am only judging by his past statements and his associations in my estimation he probably is.

Walks like it, talks like it........ just saying.
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
              Did the airline know he had a revoked visa at the time he boarded? It sounds like they pulled it while he was in the middle of traveling. If the travel arrangements were all set and the pilot didn't get any heads up then fining them is ridiculous.
              They should have. Authorities in Denver knew, so presumably they knew in LA as well. Might be a case of 'ignorance is no defence'. In any case, the penalty hasn't been decided yet, just reporting what has been said.
              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
                I am only judging by his past statements and his associations in my estimation he probably is.

Walks like it, talks like it........ just saying.
                Correct. Extremist statements, extremist organization, directly associates with terrorists. In fact, the woman who has been put up as the sole contact for Operation Rescue when contacted by Australian media is Cheryl Sullenger, a convicted terrorist. She & her husband only got 3 years for helping to build the bomb that didn't go off. Seems a bit light really.

Comment

Congratulations for the mandatory irrelevant Obama reference. Only 3 posts in as well. I figured some sad case would crack it within 5. You folk just can't help yourselves, can you? Not really something you have control over, is it?

Comment

That touches another aspect of this thread. Newman is a US Citizen but it is about the Australian Government banning controversial people from entering the country......

I don't see why BF posted this in the North American forum.
                    Maybe he thought Americans would be more upset than the Australians?

Agree with you - it's in the wrong place.
                    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Maybe he thought Americans would be more upset than the Australians?

Agree with you - it's in the wrong place.
                      There is a thread on this forum about Indian textbooks. There are threads about environmental issues, despite there being a dedicated 'sticky' that is supposed to deal with those issues. This is about an American citizen representing an American organization. Fits right in.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                        There is a thread on this forum about Indian textbooks. There are threads about environmental issues, despite there being a dedicated 'sticky' that is supposed to deal with those issues. This is about an American citizen representing an American organization. Fits right in.
                        I agree!

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                          Australia has a history of banning controversial figures. Among those who have been refused entry are controversial writer, holocaust denier & anti-semite David Irving; Boxer & convicted wife beater Floyd Mayweather; Several speakers at an Islamic conference; Rapper & convicted criminal Chris Brown, who is currently appealing the revoking of his visa before a planned tour. There have been others. I have mixed views on this. I don't agree with banning someone simply because they have views I don't share, so I was opposed to the banning of Irving. I make an exception, however, for people who advocate the use of violence. People who beat up women can just get fd & should be shamed from civilized society. Given Newman's history & his choice to break Australian law simply to get attention tends me toward agreeing with the visa ban.
                          With regards to Australian policy I consider it the right of sovereign countries to determine who can or can't enter/stay in their country, at least among non-citizens. And I don't believe said countries need to have a good reason. So while I normally have contempt for political correctness and speech police, when it comes to preserving sovereignty, I believe a nation has the right to play the persona non grata card at will.
                          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
                            With regards to Australian policy I consider it the right of sovereign countries to determine who can or can't enter/stay in their country I believe a nation has the right to play the persona non grata card at will.
                            I agree and as far as I am concerned the US hasn't played it enough, it has brought us some of the grief in the past and what we are experiencing now, and in my opinion PC immigration policies and inclusive BS brought us 9/11 and the Boston Bombings! just my two cents from a knuckle dragging Neanderthal!

Comment

The guy's a nutter plain and simple. I'm pro-life and I think he's crazy.

I have no sympathy for him, he knew better and broke the law. I wouldn't fine the airline unless they were actively involved in attempting to help him illegally enter the country. He's the equivalent of a fare jumper on an international scale as far as the transportation portion is concerned. You don't fault the ship for the stowaways.

As for the whole 'censorship' aspect, if Pro-Life people in Australia wish to have a speaker from America, they should be mindful of this and choose one without such a sketchy past. If Australia denies or revokes their visa on the basis of them being pro-life without any known terrorist ties or things like that, then Aussies should raise hell about censorship until the government gives them their right to free speech.

That is all.
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X