Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grognard Gunny
    replied
    .... and as a result, the "newsies" not only sort the news to their agenda, but also slant the news, pontificate over the news, decide what the news really is and make every effort to appear "smart".

The worst of it all is.... with an entire world to pick the news from, they concentrate on the one or two "major stories" and "fill time" with "feel good" stories.

You would think that the world would be covered..... completely, what with all the 24/7 news channels.... But no!

.... and the dumbing down of America continues. We'd MUCH rather know who is sleeping with who in Hollywood than the latest in Europe.

BAH! Well we had our chance.

GG

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    I am starting this op with one goal, post positive news about LEOs. I firmly believe less than 1% of cops are bad.
    This officer is the face of bravery, compassion, and caring for his fellow man,
    He should be recognized nationally, but he is also humble.
    The rule in the media comes from Hearst:"If it bleeds, it leads."

The public doesn't want to read peaceful, upbeat news; they want sex, scandal and violence - they not only want it, they need it and can't survive without it, so the news is a constant barrage of bad news, or celebrity scandals, all of it carefully enhanced in order to provide maximum sensory impact.

No one cares about "good people" because they don't sell.

Leave a comment:

• Daemon of Decay
    replied
    I too believe strongly that the vast, vast majority of cops are good.

However, due to their position of power in our lives, monitoring them and possessing accurate numbers concerning their behavior and the statistics surrounding what they do is important for all of us.

It not only protects citizens, but also protects officers from the sort of mindless "most cops are dirty pigs who can't be trusted" mentality that has infected many over the last few decades. More transparency helps both the officer and the citizen.

I agree that some positive articles and stories about cops being shared would be a nice thing to have around.

My favorite was one shared to me by a family member a few months ago:

Officers Jason Pavlige and James Hodges of Fruitport Township, Michigan stopped a couple in a car. The mother was holding a 10-month old baby in her arms instead of securing her properly in a car seat. The officers realized that this couple couldn’t afford to buy a car seat.

So instead of writing them a ticket, they took the family to a nearby Walmart and bought a car seat. They showed the couple how to install it properly, then left. The incident would have escaped further notice, except that a Walmart employee called the police to praise Officers Pavlige and Hodges for their generosity.
    Source

Link to the ABC News broadcast about them.

Leave a comment:

• Cop stories the network news won't show you

I am starting this op with one goal, post positive news about LEOs. I firmly believe less than 1% of cops are bad.
    This officer is the face of bravery, compassion, and caring for his fellow man,
    He should be recognized nationally, but he is also humble.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X