Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After Closed GOP caucus meeting members state Speaker Boehner quitting Congress soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daemon of Decay
    replied
    Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
    I agree with you, I am not tea party nor am I a knuckle dragging type but he definitely has shown to be backbone challenged at times.
    To be fair, he was placed in a difficult spot between two very outspoken wings of the party and attempting to unite them towards a common goal (that of opposing Obama be the Dems). While he wasn't terrible successful and the GOP could benefit a great deal from his departure, he certainly didn't face a cake walk either.

Leave a comment:

• Delenda estRoma
    replied
    Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
    As in a worthless Jellyfish?
    I did what I could to help with getting him unseated back in January, he was totally unsuited to being anything but the mouthpiece of RINOs. He was a Karl Rove wanna-be.

Now maybe we can get someone that can slow down this lame-duck radical President a little. I mean, the Repiblicans are supposed to have both the House and Senate Majorities .... maybe some of them can DO something that might make the people that voted for them feel as if they are Represented somehow in Mordor-on-the-Potomac?
    What is the point, if they never can?
    They're supposed to pass laws to keep the entire country running which requires compromise. He quit because hard liners don't want compromise. Childishly demanding either their way or the highway is not how to go about getting compromise to get things done or keep the whole government running.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Originally posted by Trung Si View Post
    I agree with you, I am not tea party nor am I a knuckle dragging type but he definitely has shown to be backbone challenged at times.
    As in a worthless Jellyfish?
    I did what I could to help with getting him unseated back in January, he was totally unsuited to being anything but the mouthpiece of RINOs. He was a Karl Rove wanna-be.

Now maybe we can get someone that can slow down this lame-duck radical President a little. I mean, the Repiblicans are supposed to have both the House and Senate Majorities .... maybe some of them can DO something that might make the people that voted for them feel as if they are Represented somehow in Mordor-on-the-Potomac?
    What is the point, if they never can?

Leave a comment:

• Taieb el-Okbi
    replied
    Originally posted by johns624 View Post
    Maybe he listened to what the Pope said and got disgusted with the political process?
    I had a brief thought of this. But its also possible there are medical problems. In all honestly I wish Mr Boehner the best.

Leave a comment:

• Trung Si
    replied
    Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
    Won't miss him. Someone with more backbone needs to take his place. Someone who will actually use the checks and balances granted to congress to put the administration on a leash.

Leave a comment:

• 17thfabn
    replied
    Originally posted by Gorque View Post
    Not serving out his term? Medical problems?
    Probably not. He has been very disliked by the far right wing of the Republican party.

On the other hand he is known for his love of cigarettes and the tanning both.

Leave a comment:

• Gorque
    replied
    Charles Dent of PA isn't too happy about this:
    Representative Charlie Dent, Republican of Pennsylvania, said: “The next speaker is going to have a very tough job. The fundamental dynamics don’t change.”

Mr. Dent said there was “a lot of sadness in the room” when Mr. Boehner made his announcement to colleagues. He blamed the hard-right members, who he said were unwilling to govern. “It’s clear to me that the rejectionist members of our conference clearly had an influence on his decision,” Mr. Dent said. “That’s why I’m not happy about what happened today. We still have important issues to deal with, and this will not be easier for the next guy.”

“The fundamental dynamics don’t change,” Mr. Dent said. “The dynamics are this: There are anywhere from two to four dozen members who don’t have an affirmative sense of governance. They can’t get to yes. They just can’t get to yes, and so they undermine the ability of the speaker to lead. And not only do they undermine the ability of the speaker to lead, but they undermine the entire Republican conference and also help to weaken the institution of Congress itself. That’s the reality.

“Now, if we have a new speaker, is there going to be an epiphany? They won’t be happy if it’s Paul Ryan or Kevin McCarthy, who will have to make accommodations with a Democratic president and the Senate constituted the way it is.”

Leave a comment:

• frisco17
    replied
    Won't miss him. Someone with more backbone needs to take his place. Someone who will actually use the checks and balances granted to congress to put the administration on a leash.

Leave a comment:

• johns624
    replied
    Maybe he listened to what the Pope said and got disgusted with the political process?

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Gorque View Post
    That's the first thing I thought of too.

Leave a comment:

• Combat Engineer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
    Well as they say, you better be careful for what you wish for. You just might get it!

I really do not see how a protracted leadership struggle in the midst of a potential government shutdown crisis benefits anyone. Even the House Freedom Caucus. They'll never get enough votes to put a Tea Party type in the Speaker's chair.
    I believe he plans to the the budget wrapped up, at least unit maybe Dec or so, by the time he leaves Oct 30th.

Leave a comment:

• Gorque
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jonathanrex1
    replied
    Well as they say, you better be careful for what you wish for. You just might get it!

I really do not see how a protracted leadership struggle in the midst of a potential government shutdown crisis benefits anyone. Even the House Freedom Caucus. They'll never get enough votes to put a Tea Party type in the Speaker's chair.

Leave a comment:

• After Closed GOP caucus meeting members state Speaker Boehner quitting Congress soon.

WOW, never expected this. Members leaving a private GOP House Caucus have stated the Speaker Boehner will leave the House, retiring completely from Congress.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...october-214056

More to come as it is a breaking story.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X