Game of TAG is now banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game of TAG is now banned

A school district in WA have banned the game of tag at school during recess. The reason for this drastic move is so kids keep their hands to themselves.

Really? How many of you played tag in the school yard and survived to tell about it?

School district bans game of tag to ‘ensure physical, emotional safety of students’

Mercer Island School District communications director Mary Grady explained the district’s decision via email: “The Mercer Island School District and school teams have recently revisited expectations for student behavior to address student safety. This means while at play, especially during recess and unstructured time, students are expected to keep their hands to themselves. The rationale behind this is to ensure the physical and emotional safety of all students.
    "School staffs are working with students in the classroom to ensure that there are many alternative games available at recess and during unsupervised play, so that our kids can still have fun, be with their friends, move their bodies and give their brains a break.”

http://q13fox.com/2015/09/23/game-of...y-of-students/
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

America...the Land of the Wussies.

I guess they won't be playing Hide and Seek due to the extreme emotional damage of not being able to find the hider's, or of being the one found.

We're building a nation of mental weaklings who are unfit to meet the challenges of the real world, but let's punish all for the sins of the few, since the teachers obviously cannot perform their responsibilities in determining what is really going on.

I'm grateful that I grew up when I did, before all this psycho-babble crap took hold.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

From the recently released statement by the school board clarifying their position on "Tag":
      We plan to support our elementary students with new games and alternatives that still involve running and exercising. We want to initiate a new form of tag-like running games to minimize the issues of "you were tagged / no I wasn't" or "the tag was too hard and felt more like a hit." Tag is not banned.
      It reads to me like they are getting ready to introduce paintball in order to cease all the arguments resulting from Tag.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorque View Post
        From the recently released statement by the school board clarifying their position on "Tag":

It reads to me like they are getting ready to introduce paintball in order to cease all the arguments resulting from Tag.
        Can't use paintball - it teaches aggression and a kid could lose an eye.

Might be able to introduce laser tag...
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
          A school district in WA have banned the game of tag at school during recess. The reason for this drastic move is so kids keep their hands to themselves.

Really? How many of you played tag in the school yard and survived to tell about it?
          I am at a loss for words.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Who is putting these nutters in positions of authority in education to come up with these barmy rules? I used to think the UK had the most stupid sods, not any longer.

Comment

My cousin lived on Mercer Island & his kids went to school there. Nice place.
              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Game British Bulldog -Used to play this at school now the scouts do.
                http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content...ulldog-361.asp
                I note that at least one US dictionary describes it as "a brutal British game"
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  Game British Bulldog -Used to play this at school now the scouts do.
                  http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content...ulldog-361.asp
                  I note that at least one US dictionary describes it as "a brutal British game"
                  It was pretty brutal at my school. Basically an excuse for bigger kids to beat up on others. We also had a version of 'tag' at my high school where you would be told you were 'it'. If you didn't run you would be beaten by the group playing the game.

Just two of the reasons I loathed my time at school.
                  Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Britsh bulldog is not brutal. Not less you dont like some one.
                    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                      It was pretty brutal at my school. Basically an excuse for bigger kids to beat up on others. We also had a version of 'tag' at my high school where you would be told you were 'it'. If you didn't run you would be beaten by the group playing the game.

Yes but you come from the land of AFL. So i would hate to play your version of chess.
                      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

I guess the pickup tackle football that we played as kids is out of the question.

Comment

I actually had to get a few stitches in the back of my head due to tag. In our school, when the bell rang to end recess, you were supposed to "freeze". I had just tagged up to be safe and the location was the corner of the school building. The bell rang, I froze, and an idiot barreled in to tag up and hit me into the building. Things like that have always happened to me...

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post

I would not be shocked in the slightest if I didn't have some very mild form of PTSD after my time in school. Like prisons, the objectives of the authorities were to keep us fed, keep us in, and keep us from killing each other. Beyond that, as per Paul Graham, like prisoners we made our own culture, and it was a brutal one.

Comment

Tag been being banned now in some schools since 06 or 07 I saw an article back then and both me and my boss did

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X