X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five bizarre 'lessons' in Indian textbooks

And you thought American schools are failing

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34336826
    Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

I don't know... Which is dumber, not to mention funnier...

Germany attacked Pearl Harbor

or

The Japanese nuked America to start the war.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      I don't know... Which is dumber, not to mention funnier...

Germany attacked Pearl Harbor

or

The Japanese nuked America to start the war.

Next time you call customer support, remember who you are speaking with.
      Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
        Scarier is that the guy who designed the car you're driving is on an H1B visa and sounds the same...

Comment

And you thought American schools are failing

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34336826
          I've always thought so about a country that is starving at times but worships cattle and considers monkeys sacred as well.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Those are usually Pakistani's.

Comment

I live in a university city that has a very heavy population of brilliant and hardworking Indian graduate students. It's commonly assumed as a result that Indians are very intelligent as a whole. Same story with the Chinese.

I've talked to them about it, and they say it's really not true. First off, a billion people means simply more people-more smart people and more dumb people. Secondly, think about it-the people who get to the USA to get a Phd in hard science typically are the top in their population, and often are selected from a very early age on to be fast tracked and be placed in high end schools. Saying they are representative of their whole nation makes about as much sense as saying a student in Cambridge, Massachusetts is like your typical college student.

Comment

Don't we have an actual forum for stuff on India? WTF does this have to do with Nth America?
                Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Provokatsiya View Post
                  I live in a university city that has a very heavy population of brilliant and hardworking Indian graduate students. It's commonly assumed as a result that Indians are very intelligent as a whole. Same story with the Chinese.

I've talked to them about it, and they say it's really not true. First off, a billion people means simply more people-more smart people and more dumb people. Secondly, think about it-the people who get to the USA to get a Phd in hard science typically are the top in their population, and often are selected from a very early age on to be fast tracked and be placed in high end schools. Saying they are representative of their whole nation makes about as much sense as saying a student in Cambridge, Massachusetts is like your typical college student.
                  I've worked with a good number of Indian engineers over the years. The brilliant ones are the exception. Most are mediocre intellects who are good at academics but horrible at applying their knowledge in a "real world" situation.

The other one I've run into with them is many are condescending having not learned to deal with a classless society. They have the "I have a degree, you don't" sort of attitude and often misunderstand how Western society works.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                    I've worked with a good number of Indian engineers over the years. The brilliant ones are the exception. Most are mediocre intellects who are good at academics but horrible at applying their knowledge in a "real world" situation.

The other one I've run into with them is many are condescending having not learned to deal with a classless society. They have the "I have a degree, you don't" sort of attitude and often misunderstand how Western society works.
                    The majority of the ones I work with on a daily basis are indeed brilliant, but I work in a theoretical physics department, pretty much everybody is smarter than me.

I've seen this as well, but it's not so much class differences so much as they parrot things that we have told them is normative in an "advanced" society when asked in an official setting, because they know that to do otherwise means social exclusion. If you talk to them one-on-one, you'll realize how unaffected some of them are by Western norms. Examples include feminism, gay marriage, political correctness, the role of religion in society, and what is acceptable in foreign policy and from the government. And this isn't just Indians, it's Chinese, Russians, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Provokatsiya View Post

Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I was surprised that Bolivia and Ecuador have higher literacy rates than Peru. Portugal's also surprised me.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                          Don't we have an actual forum for stuff on India? WTF does this have to do with Nth America?

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                            I was surprised that Bolivia and Ecuador have higher literacy rates than Peru. Portugal's also surprised me.
                            Don't be taken in by the chart. According to it, the Middle Eastern nations are pretty literate, but they still provide the terrorists and the violence because it isn't their "literacy", it's what they read, and how it is interpreted.

Middle Eastern males don't get a lot of opportunities to read the same stuff we Westerners do, and ME females don't get to read much at all.

Statistics, even in chart form, say what you want them to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Don't be taken in by the chart. According to it, the Middle Eastern nations are pretty literate, but they still provide the terrorists and the violence because it isn't their "literacy", it's what they read, and how it is interpreted.

Middle Eastern males don't get a lot of opportunities to read the same stuff we Westerners do, and ME females don't get to read much at all.

Statistics, even in chart form, say what you want them to say.
                              Had much experience in the ME? Looked at the bookshops out there? I have - don't talk rubbish
                              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X