Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Engineering Ahmed Mohamed’s Clock… and Ourselves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
    Quite so. You can build a clock rather easily btw. You can use a breadboard and get the schematics off the net. No biggie.
    Or you can just take a store-bought clock, take the cover off, stick it into a pencil box and call yourself an inventor...
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      Or you can just take a store-bought clock, take the cover off, stick it into a pencil box and call yourself an inventor...
      ....and get dragged to jail in handcuffs....if your name is Mohammed. I guess he can be happy he wasn't black. Cops would just have shot him instead.
      Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
        ....and get dragged to jail in handcuffs....if your name is Mohammed. I guess he can be happy he wasn't black. Cops would just have shot him instead.
        Kids get cuffed and hauled out of school all the time for making paper guns... white, Anglo-Saxon, Christian kids. There is not.one iota of evidence that this kid would have been treated any diffently if his name had been Jesus Santos, Keyshawn Mtumbo or Jack Ryan*.

Bureaucrats are universally too stupid to handle zero tolerance policies.

Stupidly isn't a crime. Fraud is.

* After thinking about this, had the kid's name been Jack Ryan, he would have been treated differently. He would not have been invited to the White House, the Tonight Show, the Today Show and showered with gifts and scholarship offers.
        Last edited by The Doctor; 23 Sep 15, 08:18.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Kids get cuffed and hauled out of school all the time for making paper guns... white, Anglo-Saxon, Christian kids. There is not.one iota of evidence that this kid would have been treated any diffently if his name had been Jesus Santos, Keyshawn Mtumbo or Jack Ryan.

Bingo!
          Can't rep you yet.
          Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

Comment

Originally Posted by The Doctor
            Kids get cuffed and hauled out of school all the time for making paper guns... white, Anglo-Saxon, Christian kids. There is not.one iota of evidence that this kid would have been treated any diffently if his name had been Jesus Santos, Keyshawn Mtumbo or Jack Ryan.

Very well put.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

haha
              Attached Files
              “I do not wish to have the slave emancipated because I love him, but because I hate his master."
              --Salmon P. Chase

Comment

My worst jump story:
                My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                No lie.

~
                "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Maybe y'all don't have local news in your neck of the woods. The kid and his family have been all over the local news here, for nearly a week, telling their version of the "full story."

The true "full story" appears to lie somewhere between CAIR publicity stunt and fraud.
                  Electronic experts have said that Mohamed's clock looks astonishingly similar to a clock that was sold in the 1980s by Radio Shack.

Mohamed and his family have not commented about claims that the clock is a hoax, and they are still planning on keeping thousands of dollars in donations and taking legal action against the school and the police.

Judge Napolitano said it now appears that this was a "purposeful hoax."

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/2...urposeful-hoax
                  Seems to be a lot of assumptions being used to justify overreaction, hey? In the end, the whole affair still rests upon school administrators putting a child in cuffs for what they assumed was a bomb. The accusations against the clock run from "it couldn't work" to "its just a store bought clock with the cover removed". Not very consistent when trying to accuse someone of fraud.

All the times I went to school with wires sticking out of my backpack... Who knew I was secretly running a scheme to raise thousands of dollars? If only the administrators would have had me arrested, I woulda been rich!

So far the "fraud" and "deliberate stunt" arguments are preciously short on hard evidence. Instead we get insinuations that seem to fit the standard partisan flag waiving.

Not that the liberals aren't guilty of trying to make a hero out of a child who didn't do anything but be victim of Texan incompetence. But hey, they never miss a chance, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                    Seems to be a lot of assumptions being used to justify overreaction, hey? In the end, the whole affair still rests upon school administrators putting a child in cuffs for what they assumed was a bomb. The accusations against the clock run from "it couldn't work" to "its just a store bought clock with the cover removed". Not very consistent when trying to accuse someone of fraud.

[...]

So far the "fraud" and "deliberate stunt" arguments are preciously short on hard evidence. Instead we get insinuations that seem to fit the standard partisan flag waiving.

Not that the liberals aren't guilty of trying to make a hero out of a child who didn't do anything but be victim of Texan incompetence. But hey, they never miss a chance, do they?
                    The school officials never assumed that it was a bomb. They assumed that it was a fake bomb. And little Ahmed was treated exactly the same way little Jack Ryan would have been treated if he chewed his Pop Tart into the shape of a pistol.

The evidence for this being "fraud" or a "deliberate stunt" is so obvious that it would take an unimaginably Herculean obliviousness to not see it.

This kid and his family are being treated like victims and folk heroes because they are Muslims... And that is the only manner in which race, creed, ethnicity or any other discriminatory category has been relevant to this story from the beginning.

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay
                    All the times I went to school with wires sticking out of my backpack... Who knew I was secretly running a scheme to raise thousands of dollars? If only the administrators would have had me arrested, I woulda been rich!
                    When I was a kid, we could bring toy guns, army men and GI Joe's to school. I even brought a defused hand grenade to school for a prop in a skit.

The world was different back then.

Comment

From the Idiot Files...
                      Student arrested after toy gun found at Clayton Co. School

In a note to parents and students, the school district said a student was detained and arrested just before classes dismissed Friday for being in possession of the unloaded, toy pistol.

The school was briefly locked down during the incident.

Read more: http://www.cbs46.com/story/24979056/...#ixzz3mZxIgCLX

Boy, 11, arrested in Granite City for playing with toy gun

The Granite City Police Department said it was justified in arresting an 11-year-old boy for playing with a toy gun even though a witness and the boy's family tell a different version of what happened.

Chris Fulton, 11, said he pulled an air soft pistol out of his pocket while crossing the street near a laundromat at the intersection of Nameoki Road and East 23rd Street. Fulton said the he was playing with others and the gun was not loaded with any plastic balls.

“I was fake shooting with my brother and others,” Fulton said.

http://www.kmov.com/story/29446712/b...g-with-toy-gun

Byrd Student Arrested After Bringing Toy Gun To School

A Byrd High School student was arrested Thursday morning on charges he took a toy gun to school intending to show it to some students he felt had been picking on him. The teenager was booked on charges of terrorizing.

http://www.ktbs.com/story/22320064/b...-gun-to-school

Four students arrested in toy gun trade at Springfield High School; one gun traded for LeBron sneakers

SPRINGFIELD TOWNSHIP: Springfield Principal Cynthia Frola feared the worst Thursday morning when she heard there was a gun somewhere in her high school.

“Please, God,” she prayed, “Don’t let it be real.”
                      Her prayer was answered.

A gun trade went awry at Springfield High School when two students, who witnessed a third showing off what looked like an authentic handgun, alerted the principal.

The tip set in motion a chain of events that led to the arrest of four boys, ranging in ages from 14 to 16.

Two students had brought the guns, which turned out to shoot plastic pellets (no ammo was found), to trade with another two students.

http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/...akers-1.589941

"Pop Tart" suspension should be upheld, school official says

A hearing examiner supported the decision of a Baltimore-area school principal to suspend a 7-year-old boy for chewing a Pop Tart into the shape of a gun. But his family's attorney is reportedly vowing to take the case further if the decision is upheld.

Andrew Nussbaum, a lawyer who serves as a hearing examiner for several school systems surrounding Washington, rendered a 30-page opinion Monday and agreed that principal Sandra Blondell of Park Elementary School in Anne Arundel County, Maryland acted properly when she removed the boy from school.

The boy, according to Nussbaum's opinion, told his classmates, after nibbling the breakfast pastry: "Look, I made a gun." The incident took place in March, 2013, only months after the school shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/examiner...rt-suspension/

Comment

Back to little Ahmed and his hoax bomb/clock. This was the initial news story, before CAIR and Maobama turned it into a hate crime...
                        Irving ISD student detained for 'suspicious device'

Jason Whitely, WFAA 12:33 p.m. CDT September 16, 2015

IRVING – A MacArthur High School freshman said school officials overreacted and called police after mistakenly thinking a digital clock he rebuilt looked like a fake bomb.

"They arrested me and told me I committed a crime of a hoax bomb - a fake bomb," he told News 8.

Officers said the clock and wires inside his Vaultz pencil case looked like a hoax bomb to them.

But Ahmed — an engineering student who has won awards for his inventions — said he created the clock over the weekend, and brought it to school to show an engineering teacher on Monday.

"It was the first time I brought an invention to school to show a teacher," he told News 8.

[...]

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local...bomb/72339246/

If little Ahmed was an "an engineering student who has won awards for his inventions," how could this be "the first time [he] brought an invention to school to show a teacher"/ Note to the perpetually oblivious: This is your first clue that this was a hoax and/or publicity stunt.
                        According to Irving police, Ahmed's case contained a digital clock that the student had taken apart and rearranged.

Did anyone miss the second clue that this was a hoax and/or publicity stunt?
                        Police said the student had the briefcase in his English class, where he plugged it into an electrical outlet and it started to make noise.

Ahmed told WFAA that his English teacher confiscated his case. A few hours later, the student said the principal and school resource officer pulled him out of class and questioned the high school freshman.

Do I need to point out the third clue?
                        Officers said Ahmed was being "passive aggressive" in his answers to their questions, and didn't have a "reasonable answer" as to what he was doing with the case. Investigators said the student told them that it was just a clock that he was messing around with.

"We attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only say it was a clock. He didn't offer any explanation as to what it was for, why he created this device, why he brought it to school," said James McLellan, Irving Police.

Police confiscated the case along with Ahmed's tablet computer.

Officers booked Mohamed on having a fake bomb, a Class A misdemeanor. McLellan said the Dallas County District Attorneys office will decide whether there's enough evidence to charge him. He was released to his parents Monday afternoon.

Anyone need help with the fourth clue?

Comment

Mayor Of City Where Muslim Teen Was Wrongly Arrested Is Anti-Sharia Crusader

To her supporters, Irving, Texas Mayor Beth Van Duyne is a tough-as-nails politician who's not afraid to take on Islam.

To her critics, Van Duyne is a fear-monger who stokes the flames of Islamophobia.

So both Van Duyne's fans and foes can surely find a talking point in the Monday incident where Irving police arrested 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed for bringing a homemade clock to school that they thought looked like a "movie bomb."

Van Duyne first made headlines for challenging Islam in February, when she wrote a Facebook post vowing to look into a "Shariah law court" that was said to have been set up by an Irving mosque.

"While I am working to better understand how this 'court' will function and whom will be subject to its decisions, please know that if it is determined that there are violations of basic rights occurring, I will not stand idle and will fight with every fiber of my being against this action," she wrote.

But the "Shariah law court" wasn't actually headquartered in Irving, which abuts Dallas, nor did it have anything to do with the Islamic Center of Irving. A note on the homepage of Dallas' Islamic Tribunal, which settle civil disputes between Muslims for a fee, aimed to disambiguate the two.
                          http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckrak...n-duyne-sharia

Just a coincidence ...
                          TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                            "I found the highest resolution photograph of the clock I could. Instantly, I was disappointed. Somewhere in all of this – there has indeed been a hoax. Ahmed Mohamed didn’t invent his own alarm clock. He didn’t even build a clock."

http://blogs.artvoice.com/techvoice/...and-ourselves/

I don't know if this kid cheated and was trying to impress people or what but it seems that no one cares enough to look into it. So why is it important?

Our society is teaching kids it is ok to lie and cheat if this kid gets the presidents attention. Even more important it teaches them that the President and his staff are easily fooled and by extension the rest of society. If he is a fraud?
                            A few more key items in your above link;
                            So I turned to eBay, searching for vintage alarm clocks. It only took a minute to locate Ahmed’s clock. See this eBay listing, up at the time of this writing. Amhed’s clock was invented, and built, by Micronta, a Radio Shack subsidary. Catalog number 63 765.
                            For one last bit of confirmation, I located the pencil box Ahmed used for his project. During this video interview he again claims it was his “invention” and that he “made” the device – but the important thing at the moment, at 1:13, we see him showing the pencil box on his computer screen. Here it is on Amazon, where it’s clearly labeled as being 8.25 inches wide. Our eBay seller also conveniently took a photo of the clock next to a ruler to show it’s scale – about 8 inches wide. The dimensions all line up perfectly.

So there you have it folks, Ahmed Mohamed did not invent, nor build a clock. He took apart an existing clock, and transplanted the guts into a pencil box, and claimed it was his own creation. It all seems really fishy to me.
                            If we stop and think – was it really such a ridiculous reaction from the teacher and the police in the first place? How many school shootings and incidents of violence have we had, where we hear afterwards “this could have been prevented, if only we paid more attention to the signs!” Teachers are taught to be suspicious and vigilant. Ahmed wasn’t accused of making a bomb – he was accused of making a look-alike, a hoax. And be honest with yourself, a big red digital display with a bunch of loose wires in a brief-case looking box is awful like a Hollywood-style representation of a bomb. Everyone jumped to play the race and religion cards and try and paint the teachers and police as idiots and bigots, but in my mind, they were probably acting responsibly and erring on the side of caution to protect the rest of their students, just in case. “This wouldn’t have happened if Ahmed were white,” they say. We’re supposed to be sensitive to school violence, but apparently religious and racial sensitivity trumps that. At least we have another clue about how the sensitivity and moral outrage pecking order lies.

Helps to read and understand the full article linked in most OPs
                            TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                              :

ing shifty Muslims with their secret plots against society. That's more in keeping with the general tone here.
                              You need to look at the content of this page of the thread, and then have a 2nd thought.

Shysters and con-artists are all around us.
                              And if you don't think so, I'd like to send someone to your part of the world to sell very nice bridge in Brooklyn.
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by wolfhnd View Post
                                "I found the highest resolution photograph of the clock I could. Instantly, I was disappointed. Somewhere in all of this – there has indeed been a hoax. Ahmed Mohamed didn’t invent his own alarm clock. He didn’t even build a clock."

I don't know if this kid cheated and was trying to impress people or what but it seems that no one cares enough to look into it. So why is it important?

Our society is teaching kids it is ok to lie and cheat if this kid gets the presidents attention. Even more important it teaches them that the President and his staff are easily fooled and by extension the rest of society. If he is a fraud?
                                My personal belief is that his Islamic fundamentalist/activist father put him up to this looking for exactly the reaction that they got. They purposely built the "clock" to look like a bomb. We're being played like a fiddle ... and predictably the dopey bozo in the Oval Office fell for it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X