Cancer-stricken children, parents ejected from park near White House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancer-stricken children, parents ejected from park near White House

They had a permit......turns out that the President left from an entrance near the event to address the Black Caucus Foundation's annual gala....

The U.S. Secret Service ordered hundreds of parents and their cancer-stricken children out of Lafayette Square on Saturday night, barricading the park for at least two hours and disrupting the groupís plans for a candlelight vigil to raise awareness and research funding for childhood cancer, participants said.

Some of the parents and children expressed hurt and disappointment that the Secret Service and Park Police, citing security precautions, virtually shut down part of a two-day event called CureFest for Childhood Cancer.

It gets worse:

Organizers, aligned with the Truth 365 grass-roots child-cancer advocacy program, had obtained a permit to hold ďA Night of Golden Lights,Ē in which participants would light electric candles.

But as the closure dragged on, some of the sick children, fatigued by the wait or the need to receive medication, had to return to their hotel rooms, organizers said. Others began crying, and some parents became enraged. Attendees said the group of at least 700 people were not allowed access to personal items they left behind, such as chairs and blankets.

They still won't light up the White House in Gold to recognize childhood cancer.......

The candlelight vigil came about partly because of the groupís inability to persuade the White House to light up the mansion in gold as a symbol of support for the cause, as it has done for other causes, organizers said. So they decided to hold a candlelight vigil of their own. Last year was the first.

The group had a permit to stage an event from 7 to 9 p.m., Stoddard said. They had already set up a stage for speakers and an acoustic musical performance, and welcoming music had started to play, when authorities ejected them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...f65_story.html
    "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Well you know how it is, cant have sick bald kids standing around the park lighting candles. Besides they aint old enough to vote.

Comment

They should have become Muslims... Then they'd have been invited to the White House.

Comment

So let's get this straight. You're blaming Obama personally for something his Secret Service personnel decided? These closures seem to be routinely done for security reasons, not something Obama himself decides.

The lesson here is that you should blame whoever is responsible.
        First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
          They should have become Muslims... Then they'd have been invited to the White House.
          Well, dammit. You beat me to it.
          The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
            So let's get this straight. You're blaming Obama personally for something his Secret Service personnel decided? These closures seem to be routinely done for security reasons, not something Obama himself decides.

The correct person is being blamed. Don't be dumb enough to think that Obama didn't know what was going on.
            The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
              The correct person is being blamed. Don't be dumb enough to think that Obama didn't know what was going on.
              Then prove it. Or do you lack the evidence?

Comment

If this group had a permit then the Secret Service knew about the event. They would also have to have someone on Obama's inner circle okey doak forcing the group to move, leave, whatever. They wouldn't decide that on their own due to the political implications involved. Somebody high up on Obama's staff made the decision. Now, with it in the news, let's see if Obama does anything about it.

If not, then he doesn't think it consequential or important to take action on.

Comment

Okay then, let's get this straight:

1. This year's Cure Fest was scheduled at the close of last year's event; September 2014.

2. The proper permits and dates were requested and granted.

3. The stage was constructed.

4. The children fighting cancer and their parents were there.

5. The comfort items that these kids needed were there.

6. The White House has multiple exits to include an under ground one.

7. The President decided to use the exit that was closest to the event.

8. The Secret Service kicked them out without giving them a chance to take the comfort items.

Keep in mind the staged didn't show up a couple minutes before the President decided to go out that exit. Last year it took over 4 hours to set it up. A lot of these kids are in wheelchairs because of the treatment, they also didn't show up a couple of minutes before the President decided to use that exit.

First lesson in leadership is that it requires responsibility.
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

If this group had a permit then the Secret Service knew about the event. They would also have to have someone on Obama's inner circle okey doak forcing the group to move, leave, whatever. They wouldn't decide that on their own due to the political implications involved. Somebody high up on Obama's staff made the decision. Now, with it in the news, let's see if Obama does anything about it.

This. With how centralized the Obama administration is there is no way that the head of the Secret Service detail was going to kick several hundred people out of a park without being directed to by a senior staffer.
                    A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Maybe we will finally get the White house lit up in Gold for a couple days. We have been trying to do that for the past five years.

Comment

I'm not saying the Secret Service were clueless. I'm questioning that Obama was consulted on something like this. It was a routine security matter done quite often from what the article says.

The situation is complicated. Obviously I don't want their gathering broken up, but I don't want to question professionals that are doing their job as best as they can.

Comment

The situation is complicated.
                          T.A.G. could you copy and paste my eight points as a PSA, he has me on ignore. Before he digs himself too deep into this subject he should be aware of the facts.

The only reason that I wasn't up there this year was because of Marine Week and tomorrow we start Modern Day Marine here.

Comment

Give me the link to them.

Comment

I'm not saying the Secret Service were clueless. I'm questioning that Obama was consulted on something like this. It was a routine security matter done quite often from what the article says.

The situation is complicated. Obviously I don't want their gathering broken up, but I don't want to question professionals that are doing their job as best as they can.
                              I'm saying it would have to go high enough up that Obama holds a degree of responsibility for his staff's actions and for his consequent actions now that this is in the public realm. There's nothing complicated about either of those things.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X