Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper use of a nightstick, old school policing

Ah, the good old days!

Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.
    Russ Travers, CIA analyst, 2001

Back when ...

... I started on the job, we still carried leather billy-clubs, "worn" hidden in a pant leg pocket along the seam, next to the side pocket; not the easiest thing to get out in a hurry:

Riot sticks were part of the kit kept in each cruiser's trunk:

Eventually both were replaced by a wooden baton with grommet:

Then the ASP:

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    Ah, the good old days!

"I am Groot"
    - Groot

Comment

1. Raise stick.

2. Select target.

3. Strike target.

4. Repeat as needed.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Ah, the good old days!
        No kidding.
        Nothing fancy, and note the prohibition on weighting the sticks, they had very specific formula based on what had been found to be the best thing over the previous generations of experience.

And the training, it was aimed at exploiting the mistakes of the suspects.
        In other words- it was defensive for the police, and it was a hell of a good way to verify who the bad guys really were when they lunged at you.

26" .... and solid. That is a much better reach and much stronger than that telescoping baloney they use today, you can't block a kick or an overhand swing with a piece of pipe with that collapsable stuff they have today.

I also saw that they don't tell (didn't) the Cops to swing at the head. That makes me wonder; how many people were accidentally killed with those things vs how many people are killed with Tasers today.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Eh, the airweight ones aren't all that great in my opinion. But I've got one of the full-weight steel ones, and it has as much heft behind it as any piece of wood.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Attitude Adjustment Wrench, and they still work well
            Last edited by Urban hermit; 20 Sep 15, 19:59.
            Dispite our best intentions, the system is dysfunctional that intelligence failure is guaranteed.

Comment

Lol our Shore Patrol used to carry the wooden ones. I never got hit with one, but I can tell you I know a fellow who did. After that first hit, his attitude changed dramatically
              Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

So physical violence with a weapon is a good cure for attitudes? Remind me which are the criminals and which are the police?
                First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                  So physical violence with a weapon is a good cure for attitudes? Remind me which are the criminals and which are the police?
                  If used properly, the criminals are the guys getting hit.
                  "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                    If used properly, the criminals are the guys getting hit.
                    And apparently they are criminals because they have bad attitudes? I don't remember the US having thought police.

Comment

And apparently they are criminals because they have bad attitudes? I don't remember the US having thought police.
                      If the attitude reveals itself through violence directed at the police officer, the criminal should be grateful all they got was an ass-whooping.
                      "A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

This is also a video made in the age of 'hide under your desk from a nuke'.

The world was a vastly different place back then. And policing was a lot more rough and tumble, without all the legality issues that are in play today. A lot of the protections that you enjoy today vis a vis police encounters are a product of that simpler time.....mostly because of court cases that stemmed from use of force and other common practices that are no longer allowed. Miranda, Tenn V. Gardner, among others.

Of course from the officer perspective it was also vastly different. There was no GPS in the car to tell the other officers where you were if you were getting your ass whipped. The only radio was in the car, if you had a car. Officers walking the beat kept a roll of quarters, both for making calls to their station and for fistfights with suspects. Your options were Hands, Feet, Revolver, Nightstick, Convoy/Slapjack or Flashlight. There wasn't anything like Pepper Spray, Taser, or Less Lethal rounds to give you a variety of options to respond to force. So you generally had to be able to end the fight decisively and quickly, and your options were to either shoot the suspect or just beat him into submission.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by jonny87kz View Post
                          If the attitude reveals itself through violence directed at the police officer, the criminal should be grateful all they got was an ass-whooping.
                          I'm just helping people remember that cops are fallible people. They murder, steal, lie, and assault others too. I see a huge uproar every time a cop is accused of a crime, but these same people instantly condemn any other person even accused of a crime. A uniform doesn't grant immunity.

Stating that "criminals" need beatings to cure their "attitudes" is honestly pretty idiotic.

Comment

I'm just helping people remember that cops are fallible people. They murder, steal, lie, and assault others too. I see a huge uproar every time a cop is accused of a crime, but these same people instantly condemn any other person even accused of a crime. A uniform doesn't grant immunity.

Stating that "criminals" need beatings to cure their "attitudes" is honestly pretty idiotic.
                            I would wager a bet that it you were on the hurting end of
                            1. A taser, and then
                            2. Mace, and then
                            3. A police K-9, and then a
                            4. Baton, ( nightstick)
                            You would pick the nightstick every time. I say this because rarely did a officer have to club anyone with one, it was used (as shown in the training video) as leverage or to strike or more appropriately stick or punch a pressure point. Much like Judo.

Comment

I would wager a bet that it you were on the hurting end of
                              1. A taser, and then
                              2. Mace, and then
                              3. A police K-9, and then a
                              4. Baton, ( nightstick)
                              You would pick the nightstick every time. I say this because rarely did a officer have to club anyone with one, it was used (as shown in the training video) as leverage or to strike or more appropriately stick or punch a pressure point. Much like Judo.
                              Not what I'm getting at. Public servants shouldn't have the right to beat people because they dislike their attitude.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X